So has anyone auditioned blu-spec CD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So has anyone auditioned blu-spec CD?

agentsteel
05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
how did it sound etc..

StanleyMuso
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
What is a blu-spec CD? Never heard of it.

Mr Peabody
05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I had to see what was up too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-spec_CD

Amazon shows several titles but the few I saw were not shipping yet. Looked like mostly imports from Japan. I do plan to check out one, and maybe more if they are good.

pixelthis
05-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Sounds like snake oil, in the category of rocks on speakers.:1:

agentsteel
05-20-2009, 05:24 AM
thats kinda dorkish...

RoadRunner6
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
From the Urban Dictionary:

1. dorkish
adj. A person or thing that is extremely wack and deserves this title because they suck genitals or smell like they do.

Feanor
05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
how did it sound etc..

The thing is, the "blu" process cuts more precise pits into the CD master: is this going to improve the sound?

In the analog world this sort of precision is likely to result in improved sound, (however subtle). In the digital world, such precision can be completely superfluous -- either the pick-up laser can either read the pit or it cannot. If it can, the greater "perfection" of the pit does nothing at all.

I've heard people say that the "blu" discs sound better. Indeed, they might be right, but the same question applies here as applies to SACD for example: is it really the medium or just the master recording that is better?

Mr Peabody
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
And, here I just thought a dork was a whale's penus.

Feanor, I had similar thoughts but didn't post them as to not get on a difference in digital derail. I was thinking if it did sound better that would sort of blow the theory that digital is nothing but 1's & 0's. I'm convinced there is much more. I wonder how much, if any, error correction goes into the digital domain of a typical CD player. Sony has a pretty good track record of coming out with quality innovations so I believe this could have potential. One of the oldest CD tweaks and still sells is that green marker and I know that CD mat gizmo works, I forgot the name of it, so I'll keep an open mind.

StanleyMuso
05-21-2009, 11:05 PM
You chaps are knowledgeable and helpful as always. I think your speculation is probably correct. I can't see how a better sound can be produced merely by changing the manufacturing process. I was hoping that blu-spec was the creation of a music only Blue Ray. Now that would surely blow even SACD out of the water if it was produced.