The Shins live at The Electric Factory - A Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Shins live at The Electric Factory - A Review

Swish
05-18-2009, 06:41 AM
I've been a fan of The Shins since hearing Oh, Inverted World when it was released back in 2001, but was impressed even more with their next cd, Chutes Too Narrow two years later. It's on my list of essentials and easily in my top 100 all time list. It took them 4 more years to come out with Wincing the Night Away, and it was a step down for sure, although a likeable record.

They've been on my short list of 'must see' bands, so I was really pleased when I found out they were coming to Philly and one of my favorite venues, The Electric Factory on the north side. My good friends Eric and Linda traveled with my wife and I and we got to the city a couple hours before the doors opened, stopped at the Standard Tap on North 2nd and Poplar for a couple pints and sandwiches. The Sly Fox IPA was perfect with my soft shell sandwich.

We go to the Factory just after the doors opened and the mostly younger crowd filled the SRO floor. We quickly climbed the stairs and got 4 seats (bar stools actually) in the back area of the L-shaped balcony with an excellent view of the stage. The opening act, Delta Spirit, hit the stage shortly after 8:30 and proceeded to bore me to tears. Actually, they weren't too bad, but the lead singer's voice was pretty bad. It sounded like he was screaming more singing, at least on some of the songs. I really wasn't in the mood and was glad when they were through with their short set.

The Shins took the stage at about 9:45 and opened with a song I didn't recognize, so it must be from their upcoming release (should be out early next year based on internet info, and in addition, the next record will be released on Mercer's own label, Aural Apothecary, so he can make more money of course). Next came Sleeping Lessons, the opening track on Wincing, then my favorite Shins tune, Turn a Square from Chutes. I can't remember the order of the rest of the songs, but they played 3 others from Chutes; Saint Simon, another fave if mine, Gone For Good, and Those to Come. I only recall two others from Wincing and they are Phantom Limb and Sea Legs. From their debut I remember only two, Caring is Creepy, and the final song in their short encore, New Slang. They must have played 8 or 9 songs that are new and unfamiliar, but according to a story I read, Mercer has about 30 new songs in the hopper, so I'm sure the ones they played will be part of the next record. Most sounded pretty good, and they probably remind me more of the material on Chutes than anything, so that's a good sign in my mind.

The sound quality was very good for a live show, the band was tight, and leader James Mercer's voice sounded great, so I had no complaints. We did notice some personnel changes, but I had to confirm it the next day and was really surprised by what would be considered major changes. Gone were keyboardist Marty Crandall and drummer Jesse Sandoval, replaced by Ron Lewis from Grand Archives and Fruit Bats on bass and Joe Plummer of Modest Mouse on drums.

Mercer has a lot more going on, including a part in a movie, a collaboration with a couple other indie bands, and a re-release of the debut from his first band, The Flakes, as recorded by The Shins. More on that later.

Anyway, it was another good show for me, although it was an otherwise uneventful night. I didn't get backstage passes or meet the band, but a fun time for sure.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Glad that you finally got to see The Shins Swish! Sounds like a great show.

I wonder if they're playing so many new songs to get crowd reaction to decide which ones go on the next album. When we saw Luke Doucet last year, that's what he did. He came onto the stage with a shot of whiskey in his hand. He said that he was going to play several new songs, then he was going to drink the whiskey, then he would play all the stuff that we wanted to hear. And that's exactly what he did. Some of the new stuff made it onto the album and some didn't.

bobsticks
05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Glad you got to see the band Swisheroo...and I'd imagine the band is glad that one more aging sychophant didn't get backstage...

thekid
05-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Swish
Great review and story!
My daughter got me interested in the Shins a couple of years back. The song I really like is called (I think) "Phantom Limb"??

Bernd
05-19-2009, 05:28 AM
I always enjoy reading your gig reports, thanks. Another band that is on my must see list. You got there before me again. Good Stuff.

Swish
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I always enjoy reading your gig reports, thanks. Another band that is on my must see list. You got there before me again. Good Stuff.

...since we're on opposite sides for the Atlantic. Any chance the Super Furry Animals will be arriving on American soil in the near future, or do I have to catch a trans-Atlantic flight?

Swish
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Glad you got to see the band Swisheroo...and I'd imagine the band is glad that one more aging sychophant didn't get backstage...

Or typed perhaps. How sick is this Penguins run (sigh)?

Swish
05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Swish
Great review and story!
My daughter got me interested in the Shins a couple of years back. The song I really like is called (I think) "Phantom Limb"??

...and I mentioned it in my review. It is a nice tune and the band really exudes their Beach Boys/surf pop influences in that song.

bobsticks
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Or typed perhaps. How sick is this Penguins run (sigh)?

I'm beside myself with disgust though I must admit the craptacular Pens are peaking at the right time. I have nothing against the Carolinas and while I've never been a fan of the Canes I find myself an unlikely supporter. It shouldn't matter...they should surely fall under the migh of whichever Original-Six team they face...

Bernd
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
...since we're on opposite sides for the Atlantic. Any chance the Super Furry Animals will be arriving on American soil in the near future, or do I have to catch a trans-Atlantic flight?

Japan, Scotland, Ireland and ole Blighty seem to be where it's at. Has been very slim on the gig front for me though. The only ones I have been to this year was Magazine in Feb. and Andrew Bird last Wednesday.

ForeverAutumn
05-20-2009, 05:25 AM
Japan, Scotland, Ireland and ole Blighty seem to be where it's at. Has been very slim on the gig front for me though. The only ones I have been to this year was Magazine in Feb. and Andrew Bird last Wednesday.

How did you like Mr. Bird? Pretty interesting to see him live, eh? I don't know about you but seeing him live gave me a whole new appreciation for his talent. There is so much more to him than you can get from listening to a CD.

Listening to an Andrew Bird CD is like "watching the movie". Seeing him live is like "reading the book".

Bernd
05-20-2009, 05:44 AM
How did you like Mr. Bird? Pretty interesting to see him live, eh? I don't know about you but seeing him live gave me a whole new appreciation for his talent. There is so much more to him than you can get from listening to a CD.

Listening to an Andrew Bird CD is like "watching the movie". Seeing him live is like "reading the book".

That sums it up perfectly. I really enjoyed it. He played in a very small venue, part of the University Complex. Very intimate. You are right about the new light that has been pointed to his recordings. I am enjoying those even more now.