Squeezebox question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox question

rob7
05-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I've had a squeezebox duet for a few months now. The music that had been ripped prior to installing the squeezecenter has played fine (wma, wav). I registered for dbpoweramp and ripped a cd using flac. I re-scanned the library, but these 'flac' songs won't play. The squeezecenter shows that it is playing, but no sound.

What am I doing wrong that these aren't able to be heard? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And please dumb it down a bit for me--trying, but failing to keep up with new technology.

Feanor
05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
I've had a squeezebox duet for a few months now. The music that had been ripped prior to installing the squeezecenter has played fine (wma, wav). I registered for dbpoweramp and ripped a cd using flac. I re-scanned the library, but these 'flac' songs won't play. The squeezecenter shows that it is playing, but no sound.

What am I doing wrong that these aren't able to be heard? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And please dumb it down a bit for me--trying, but failing to keep up with new technology.

According to Slim Devices' customer help, Squeezebox Version 2 and higher supports FLAC in firmware, so it definitely ought to work. dBpoweramp rips perfectly to FLAC in my experience, I do it all the time, so I don't see that being the problem either.

A defective Squeezebox is presumably possible. Since you found FLAC isn't working, have you tried the other formats?

rob7
05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I had heard good things about dbpoweramp and knew that the squeezebox supported FLAC. That's why I was a bit confused and disappointed that I couldn't get it to work.

I ripped a song to WAV(lossless). After a rescan, it played fine through the squeezecenter and box. I converted it to FLAC using the dbpoweramp converter, and the FLAC file played fine (after rescan). I'll have to rip another song through poweramp-flac to see if it will work this time.

rob7
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I tried it again with no luck. The WAV file I mentioned above was done through WMP, not dbpoweramp. I tried to rip through dbpoweramp to WAV and FLAC--no luck. I tried the poweramp converter on those with no luck.

Why can't I be more of a computer nerd? What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feanor
05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I tried it again with no luck. The WAV file I mentioned above was done through WMP, not dbpoweramp. I tried to rip through dbpoweramp to WAV and FLAC--no luck. I tried the poweramp converter on those with no luck.

Why can't I be more of a computer nerd? What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Without being there it's hard to know if you're doing anything wrong -- it isn't necessarily you fault. I don't have Squeezebox, but I do use dBpoweramp on a frequent basis with no such problems

Do you have any other music payer on which you can test the FLAC files? Even WMP will play FLAC with the appropriate add-in. Or you could download Foobar2000 -- see my Foobar Primer (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=30337).

rob7
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I have heard of Foobar. I might have to give it a try. I'll keep playing around with it to see if I can work it out.

Thanks for your time.

Feanor
06-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Is it possible to stream music from iTunes in squeezebox and use your iPhone remote control application to change music? The Wireless DJ was a bust from the moment it was introduced by Logitech to use as plugins in squeezebox. And I wonder if Logitech will send the tutorial on how to install that plugins.

My guess is 'No'. Squeezebox requires SqueezeCenter, (Slim Devices' server), in order to function. iTunes cannot perform this server function for the Squeezebox.

Or are you hoping that your Squeezebox will feed iTunes? Sorry, this won't work either.

Is the computer running iTunes in you listening room, or somewhere else? If in your listening room, then it would seem to me you don't need the Squeezebox at all -- just feed from you computer to your hifi system.

If I remember correctly, there is some way for SqueezeCentre to supply music to iTunes, but I don't think Squeezebox is involved. Here again you would be using iTunes instead of your Squeezebox.

hwirt
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Rob,

Currently using the Squeezebox Classic and have no problems playing “FLAC” files. My entire CD collection is backed up to my hard drive using a common shareware program call “Exact Audio Copy” EAC for short.

I suspect that the program you are using for conversion might be the problem. Recommend downloading EAC, read the setup documentation and try again.

Good Luck

rob7
06-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I have the EAC, but I read that the poweramp was a little 'easier' to use-less involved. So I thought I'd give it a try.

I haven't played with it for several days, but I figured that I would have to go back to the EAC and make it work from there.

Thanks again.