The Golden Compass [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass

ForeverAutumn
05-17-2009, 07:11 AM
What was all the hubbub about? We watched this last night and were very disappointed. The best part of the movie was the ferret (he was cute!). The ending was just way to obvious as a set-up for The Golden Compass 2. All-in-all, a waste of two hours.

markw
05-17-2009, 09:09 AM
From what I read, don't hold your breath waiting for a sequel to hit the movie theatres. the box office and DVD take doesn't warrant it.

Pullmans "Dark Materials" trilogy was simply an athestic reaction to C.S. Lewis' Narnia books, and it's negative agenda was too easy to spot and too much of a downer, even to unsophisticated movie audiences,

Mr Peabody
05-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I was anxiously waiting for this movie to come out, when we finally got to see it, I had the same reaction as you did FA. What took you so long to pick it up?

Feanor
05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
What was all the hubbub about? We watched this last night and were very disappointed. The best part of the movie was the ferret (he was cute!). The ending was just way to obvious as a set-up for The Golden Compass 2. All-in-all, a waste of two hours.

My wife wanted to see it so I Zipped it. I thought it was just OK, my wife liked a bit more than that.

I didn't find that Philip Pullman's atheistic and anti-Christian themes came across very much in the film. I don't know about Philip Pullman's books: haven't read 'em and am not likely to. However I'm not bothered by atheistic nor anti-Christian views, (nor, I suspect, are you, FA). C.S. Lewis' Christian allegories, on the other hand, are quite nauseating at times.

bfalls
05-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Rumors have it "Golden Compass" put the last nail in "New Line Cinema's" coffin. They had expected it to be a big hit with potential sequels. Not too long after it's release New Line was bought out by Warner, I believe.

I actually thought it was pretty decent movie. Very imaginative. I would liked to have seen a sequel.

Worf101
05-18-2009, 06:08 AM
The bottom line with me was/is.. just how many movies about child saviors, talking animals, powered balloons and magic can a body stand in 10 years? Between LOTR and Harry Goddamn Potter I'm about done personally. I saw the movie and found it utterly predicatble and quite boring.. Not the worst I've seen but no the best either.

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I quite enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia. I thought that was an exciting movie (and watching it on a beautiful summer night, outdoors in a park, with a big mug full of coffee and Baileys didn't hurt the viewing experience none either :)) But The Golden Compass just wasn't very well done IMO. I haven't read the book(s) but I suspect that there is much more importance on the witches, the relationship to the girl, and her ability to read the Compass. I felt that the movie just didn't have a good reason or direction. All the Compasses were destroyed but one. The girl has the one. So what? It just didn't go anywhere. It was no Ring. That's for sure.