Pioneer SX-1050 ...or? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer SX-1050 ...or?

gypsyhick
03-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm currently upgrading my Best Buy quality system piece by piece. I have already made the DIY speakers by Ed Frias and am very impressed. My next upgrade is the amplifier. I have been considering buying the Pioneer SX-1050 receiver which is going for $200-$300. However, I am not familiar with amplifiers and was curious for any suggestions concerning models in my $200- $300 price range. The basic gist I get from reading the various posts is that amps are better than receivers. Cool, I can believe that, but I have no knowledge as to what amps to look at.

After this purchase, I am planning to purchase an entry level turntable... a music hall 5.1 or rega with a nice cartridge...about $600. So, I am looking for an amp/receiver to compliment the future turntable with my current speakers.

Any suggestions and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D

okiemax
03-19-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm currently upgrading my Best Buy quality system piece by piece. I have already made the DIY speakers by Ed Frias and am very impressed. My next upgrade is the amplifier. I have been considering buying the Pioneer SX-1050 receiver which is going for $200-$300. However, I am not familiar with amplifiers and was curious for any suggestions concerning models in my $200- $300 price range. The basic gist I get from reading the various posts is that amps are better than receivers. Cool, I can believe that, but I have no knowledge as to what amps to look at.

After this purchase, I am planning to purchase an entry level turntable... a music hall 5.1 or rega with a nice cartridge...about $600. So, I am looking for an amp/receiver to compliment the future turntable with my current speakers.

Any suggestions and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D

I don't believe integrated amps are necessarily better than receivers. My only reservation would be the age of the Pioneer SX-1050, which I estimate to be about 25 years, but I have a Kenwood that old that has never needed repairs. I don't know about the quality of the Pioneer's phono stage, but I believe its amp is rated at around 120 watts@ 8 ohms, which sould be sufficient for most speakers. If you like vintage gear such as this receiver, have you ever considered a vintage turntable? I'm not making a recommendation, but was just wondering.

Geoffcin
03-21-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't believe integrated amps are necessarily better than receivers. My only reservation would be the age of the Pioneer SX-1050, which I estimate to be about 25 years, but I have a Kenwood that old that has never needed repairs. I don't know about the quality of the Pioneer's phono stage, but I believe its amp is rated at around 120 watts@ 8 ohms, which sould be sufficient for most speakers. If you like vintage gear such as this receiver, have you ever considered a vintage turntable? I'm not making a recommendation, but was just wondering.

Pioneer made some great stereo receivers, and the SX-1050 was one of them. You should have the receiver checked out thoroughly, as it's age may be a factor. Repair work is NOT cheap!

Used seperates is another route that might also be affordable.