New Super Furry Animals cd coming soon. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Super Furry Animals cd coming soon.

Swish
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Dark Days/Light Years will be released on May 26th, and I'm certainly going to buy it, but the 'pre-release' price on Amazon is $23.98, or about double the price of most new stuff, but I also found it on DeepDiscount.com for 'only' $18.70 with free shipping available. This one is supposedly reminiscent of 'Rings Around the World', and that's a very good thing as I wasn't a big fan of anything they released since this most excellent record back in 2001. The DVD is nothing short of awesome too.

Here is a short review that appeared on Amazon:

2009 album from the Welsh Psychedelic Pop legends, their ninth studio album. Where previous albums have seen the band experiment with extra instrumentation, this release is full of songs based on grooves rather than ensemble composition. The band's impish sense of humor remains, though, with track titles such as 'The Very Best Of Neil Diamond' and 'Moped Eyes' standing out. Also notable is Franz Ferdinand guitarist Nick McCarthy's guest appearance on the Kraftwerk-inspired 'Inaugural Trams', performing a German-language rap. In keeping with more recent albums, the band also share lead vocal duties between several members. 12 tracks. Rough Trade

3-LockBox
05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
You didn't like Hey Venus?

Well, I've heard the new SFA, and it certainly sounds like SFA, so I don't know what ya mean by reminiscent of, since I've only heard a few SFA tunes on comps, and the only SFA CD I own, which is Hey Venus. Perhaps there is less emphasis on production that I heard, but I wouldn't say DD/LY was stripped down or anything, i.e. it isn't an organic approach like Gruff Rhys' solo effort from '07, Candylion.

Slosh
05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I've been listening to it since April 19th :p Like the last few albums the songs written by Gruff are good. The others not so much.

BTW, have you heard about the Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse album called Dark Night of the Soul. It's pretty damned good and check out the guests:

01 Revenge (w/Wayne Coyne)
02 Just War (w/Gruff Rhys)
03 Jaykub (w/Jason Lytle)
04 Little Girl (w/Julian Casablancas)
05 Angel's Harp (w/"Black Francis")
06 Pain (w/Iggy Pop)
07 Star Eyes (I Can Catch It) (w/James Mercer)
08 Everytime I'm With You (w/Jason Lytle)
09 Insane Lullaby (w/James Mercer)
10 Daddy's Gone (w/Nina Persson)
11 The Man Who Played God (w/Nina Persson)
12 Grain Auguary (w/Vic Chesnutt)
13 Dark Night Of The Soul (w/Vic Chesnutt)

I've been listening to it all day and it's everybit as impressive as it looks. Could be my album of the year.

Swish
05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
You didn't like Hey Venus?

Well, I've heard the new SFA, and it certainly sounds like SFA, so I don't know what ya mean by reminiscent of, since I've only heard a few SFA tunes on comps, and the only SFA CD I own, which is Hey Venus. Perhaps there is less emphasis on production that I heard, but I wouldn't say DD/LY was stripped down or anything, i.e. it isn't an organic approach like Gruff Rhys' solo effort from '07, Candylion.

In the words of one reviewer "SFA's ninth album in almost two decades as a band, Dark Days/Light Years, is also their most playful since 2001's Rings Around the World. Full of paradoxes and loving parodies, honeyed psych-pop harmonies and shaggy vamps, it's just the sci-fi groove-rock mind**** to shake us out of our no-fun times."

Got it?

Swish Baby

Swish
05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I've been listening to it since April 19th :p Like the last few albums the songs written by Gruff are good. The others not so much.

BTW, have you heard about the Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse album called Dark Night of the Soul. It's pretty damned good and check out the guests:

01 Revenge (w/Wayne Coyne)
02 Just War (w/Gruff Rhys)
03 Jaykub (w/Jason Lytle)
04 Little Girl (w/Julian Casablancas)
05 Angel's Harp (w/"Black Francis")
06 Pain (w/Iggy Pop)
07 Star Eyes (I Can Catch It) (w/James Mercer)
08 Everytime I'm With You (w/Jason Lytle)
09 Insane Lullaby (w/James Mercer)
10 Daddy's Gone (w/Nina Persson)
11 The Man Who Played God (w/Nina Persson)
12 Grain Auguary (w/Vic Chesnutt)
13 Dark Night Of The Soul (w/Vic Chesnutt)

I've been listening to it all day and it's everybit as impressive as it looks. Could be my album of the year.

I'll be picking that one up too. Grassy arse.

3-LockBox
05-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Got it?

no sweat

don't need no stinkin review. I'll prolly hear it again tonight but will have to wait for brighter financial outlook before I purchase anything.

Still plenty o'tunes to listen to, including one 2008 year in review.:2:

FWIW: I liked Hey Venus OK, but it isn't indespensible.