which projector for 3k budget? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which projector for 3k budget?

pekopeeus
05-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Hey guys, I will use the projector to watch DVD, bluerays, etc. Which one is the best bang for the buck? Which brand should I go after? Optoma? Sony? Panasonic? Epson?

Thanks!!!

GMichael
05-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Hey guys, I will use the projector to watch DVD, bluerays, etc. Which one is the best bang for the buck? Which brand should I go after? Optoma? Sony? Panasonic? Epson?

Thanks!!!

All good choices. I would throw Sanyo into the mix as well. I have two and they are a great "bang for the buck" projector. I believe that Panasonic is getting great reviews right now, but so are many of the others you mentioned. Here is a good site to compare models and read reviews.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

Much to read and learn here.
$3k should get you a very nice 1080p projector & screen.

pekopeeus
05-12-2009, 05:32 AM
thanks michael looks like the panasonic 3000 is a deal

GMichael
05-12-2009, 05:45 AM
There are many great choices. Some are LCD and some are DLP. LCD are brighter and usually recomended for first time projectionites (not a real word). DLP has darker blacks and deeper colors, but is not as easy to set up correctly. (Both are getting better every year, and their shortcomings are getting smaller and smaller)
When are you looking to pull the trigger? New models usually come out in late summer. Prices on this year's models will come down in July & August to make room for the new ones. Deals can be found. My projectors came in a bundle that included, screens, mounts, 2 sets of HD cables and an extra bulb. All for $2k each. It's worth it to dig.

GMichael
05-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Here is an interesting comparison of the most popular Epson and Panasonic 2008 models.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_6500ub_panasonic_ae3000.htm

pekopeeus
05-12-2009, 07:50 AM
hey michael thanks for the link again, I am going to move in to my new home late July. I will use the projector mostly for movies, DVDs, Blurays, maybe PS3 games once in a while. I still use a 52" for regular TV and stuff when.