Flip Maggies for Acoustat??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flip Maggies for Acoustat???

Feanor
05-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi, folks, I'm back.

Your thoughts: should I flip my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR for Acoustat Spectra 2200?

A seller within driving distance of my location is sell the Acoustat pair, supposedly in mint condition, for C$1600.

bubslewis
05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Tough choice. Do you have a chance to listen to the Acoustats?

Feanor
05-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Tough choice. Do you have a chance to listen to the Acoustats?

Thanks for the input.

Well conceivably I could give him and call. It's a couple of hours drive each way so it's an all day undertaking. I have the feeling that they will sell before I could arrange to hear them.

bubslewis
05-11-2009, 06:18 PM
If financially feasible, make the listening test and buy/no buy in the same trip. If you really like them, then cash and carry. If not, then you only lose the gas money. But at least you'll know for certain and remove any long term doubts or regrets. I'm sure I've oversimplified the situation here, but hey, we're talking main speakers here (one of the more important things in life).

good luck.

JoeE SP9
05-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi, folks, I'm back.

Your thoughts: should I flip my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR for Acoustat Spectra 2200?

A seller within driving distance of my location is sell the Acoustat pair, supposedly in mint condition, for C$1600.
Is the SPW-1 included in the deal? I have Spectra 22's. Except for the cosmetics the 2200's are identical. If the SPW-1 is not included the price is way too high. Even with the woofer cabinet the price is still a little high. PM me if you want.

audio amateur
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Let us know what happens!

Feanor
05-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Is the SPW-1 included in the deal? I have Spectra 22's. Except for the cosmetics the 2200's are identical. If the SPW-1 is not included the price is way too high. Even with the woofer cabinet the price is still a little high. PM me if you want.
Thanks, Joe,

But what, pray, is the SPW-1?? No mention was made of this ... see the Canuck Audiomart ad (http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/126459-_acoustat_mk_2123_electrostatic_speakers_very_rare _mint).

I doubt this transaction will happen. The used price of the Maggie 1.6 isn't that good: I might get C$1200 if lucky. Then there would be travel and possibly other costs, (like an SPW-1(?)).

JoeE SP9
05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry I took so long to respond Feanor;
The SPW-1 is a woofer cabinet that was an option with the Spectra 22, 33, 2200 and 3300 series. It is a sub woofer sized box containing 4 6" woofers in a ported cabinet and an internal crossover matched to the switchable crossover on the Spectra's interface box.
Spectra's have a switchable crossover that allows full range or above 100Hz use. The Audio Circuit has pictures and some information about the Spectra series and the woofer cabinet. I checked the add you're looking at. If you expand the second picture you'll see the crossover switch I'm talking about. The picture below is the Spectra 22's with the SPW-1 woofer cabinet. These are what I've had as my main speakers for 10+ years. The only difference between the 22/33 and 2200/3300 series is the wood trim around the outside of the panels. The 22/2200's have 2 ESL panels per speaker. The 33/3300's have 3 ESL panels per speaker. Without the woofer module they are a lot like Martin Logan CLS's in that the bass response is not enough for me. I use mine with a pair of DIY transmission line subs. I leave the switch in the full range position as I'm using an electronic crossover and biamping. The SPW-1 is used with my rear speakers; Acoustat Model 1's biamped with an electronic crossover.
IMHO the asking price is a little high. More so because the SPW-1 is not included.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt231/JoeESP9/941-ACO-Spectra_2200-P-A01.jpg

Feanor
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Sorry I took so long to respond Feanor;
The SPW-1 is a woofer cabinet that was an option with the Spectra 22, 33, 2200 and 3300 series. It is a sub woofer sized box containing 4 6" woofers in a ported cabinet and an internal crossover matched to the switchable crossover on the Spectra's interface box.
Spectra's have a switchable crossover that allows full range or above 100Hz use. The Audio Circuit has pictures and some information about the Spectra series and the woofer cabinet. I checked the add you're looking at. If you expand the second picture you'll see the crossover switch I'm talking about. The picture below is the Spectra 22's with the SPW-1 woofer cabinet. These are what I've had as my main speakers for 10+ years. The only difference between the 22/33 and 2200/3300 series is the wood trim around the outside of the panels. The 22/2200's have 2 ESL panels per speaker. The 33/3300's have 3 ESL panels per speaker. Without the woofer module they are a lot like Martin Logan CLS's in that the bass response is not enough for me. I use mine with a pair of DIY transmission line subs. I leave the switch in the full range position as I'm using an electronic crossover and biamping. The SPW-1 is used with my rear speakers; Acoustat Model 1's biamped with an electronic crossover.
IMHO the asking price is a little high. More so because the SPW-1 is not included.

Thanks, Joe. If I'd had to guess, I'd have guessed it was a sub of some sort. No, there is no indication the an SPW-1 is included. And thanks for your word about the price.

It's just as well, because I was thinking that I have too many things going on and not enough ready cash to take advantage of his offering..