MONOPRICE Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MONOPRICE Cables

IBSTORMIN
05-09-2009, 06:25 AM
First in a series of looks at Monoprice cables - Stereo RCA

I will admit when I ordered these after discussing them with RR6 in another thread that I did not expect them to be anything worth listening to because of the price. I decided to keep an open mind. When they arrived I hooked the Monoprice up and listened expecting them to sound terrible. They did not. I hooked up a pair of out-of-the box cheapies and they DID sound terrible. At less than $5 shipped Monoprice, in my opinion, IS an inexpensive upgrade to out of the box cables.

I should probably explain to those interested, My DVD player is Integra Research's RDV-1 and has two outputs. I had my wife hook the Monoprice and a pair of Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 RCA up to my IR RDC-7 PRE/PRO at the DVD & CD inputs so I could switch back and forth between them with the remote. I then did not know which I was listening to when I switched, eliminating the placebo effect. There is a difference in sound, but not an immediate AHA that I expected. I picked out the Blue Jeans as the one I liked better but did not have time to listen enough to tell you why. Pleasantly surprised at the Monoprice for the money ! ! !

The pictures are of:
The invoice.
Out-of-the-box pair on left, Monoprice in the middle, Blue Jeans Cable on the right.
Close-up of the Monoprice.

RoadRunner6
05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback IBSTORMIN, well done. Good to see people with a completely open mind towards both cheap and expensive connectors. If you do further testing perhaps have your wife reverse the cables to the other inputs (without your knowing at what point in the comparison that she does this) and see if you still can identify the Blue-Jeans as sounding both different and better (of course now the Blu-jeans will be hooked to the other inputs without you knowing it).

RR6 :thumbsup:

winston
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks IBSTORMIN, I'll seconded that feedback also. as i myself is a fan of Blue-jeans and Mono price...because of what they offer" (times are hard economy wise) therefore one needs to get the best value in Cables,amplifier,cpd,preamp/pro,blue ray stuff that poor music/movie lovers buy with their $$$... I Winston is here to learn from everyone i visit this forum every day to try to obtained OFFORDEABLE IDEAS and read about the expensive ones as well. (and i have great respect for all you guys) that been said i have to give thanks to the Roadrunner6" for his position on mono price cables yes they're a stiff ! but that's my cable store lately. i even get my grand kids replacement PS2 cables from them all for a song. (EMOTIVA that's another outstanding value i am just so looking forward that (NEW CDP' ON ORDER) its all good..Win

RoadRunner6
05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks Win. Please give us some feedback on the new Emotiva ERC-1 CD player when you've had some time with it.

audio amateur
05-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks Ibstormin!!

zepman1
05-11-2009, 07:05 AM
When using Monoprice RCA cables for 2 Ch audio, I like to use the Premium Component video cables instead of the 2 channel RCA. The main difference being that these are Rg6 coax instead of Rg59 and provides a better conductor and likely better shielding as well. The RCA connectors seem to be a little bit nicer also on the component video. And of course, it is even stiffer, which is the main drawback to these.

Is there an audible difference between the two? Not sure, I haven't tried any AB testing, but the cost difference is a couple bucks, so who cares?

frenchmon
05-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Chet Baker-Trumpet
Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
Herbie Mann-Flute
Bill Evans-Piano
Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
(....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Some line-up! I will have to look for that one.

frenchmon

winston
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
HI FRENCHMAN....thanks for looking at my signature" that spellbinding cool might be hard to find in the (original form) but I'm sure i have it on mix compilation two disc CD,not sure of the name of the album or where to put my hands on it as i write this post. but if you do not get your hands on it ....let me know... whenever time you pass this way.
Win

Meddle
05-23-2009, 08:59 AM
I have six stereo rigs and three surround rigs in my house/barn. I only dabble in high end, but do have moslty low end hifi (Rotel/Adcom/Creek/NAD) and high end midfi (Onkyo/Yamaha)

There's just no way I can afford to use high-end cable on all my stuff.

I use monoprice cables on about 60% of my hookups and have had good results. I cannot imagine a better cable for the price. Seriously, the stuff is worth a look.

I also have gotten good results with their mic cables and guitar cables.

winston
05-23-2009, 05:04 PM
NICE TO HEAR THAT" MEDDLE'
I receive my order Tuesday of 8 PCS OF THE RG/6 cables $36.50 shipped. next week I'll off from work so I'll used them to hook up my new panny (DMP-BD80 7.1 MULTI CHANNEL OUTPUT) yep i got the drop on POWERSELLERnyc $291 to Miami Fl. i have the Sony BDP-S550 in my HT... all hookup with the RG/59s one of these guys gonna end up inside the bedroom with the energy take classic.
Win.

frenchmon
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
HI FRENCHMAN....thanks for looking at my signature" that spellbinding cool might be hard to find in the (original form) but I'm sure i have it on mix compilation two disc CD,not sure of the name of the album or where to put my hands on it as i write this post. but if you do not get your hands on it ....let me know... whenever time you pass this way.
Win

Hey winston...I'll look for the Chet Baker song "Alone Together". I think I may have an old recording of Jo Stafford singing that same song but not sure. I just got done listening to Billy Holiday singing "Strange Fruit". Man she just puts me in a different place. I love her. To really appreciate Billy you gotta know something about her and her life and stuggles, other wise you really can not appreciate her music. I will let you know if I can't find the Baker song...He is another one I love to listen to....He was special.

frenchmon

winston
07-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey winston...I'll look for the Chet Baker song "Alone Together". I think I may have an old recording of Jo Stafford singing that same song but not sure. I just got done listening to Billy Holiday singing "Strange Fruit". Man she just puts me in a different place. I love her. To really appreciate Billy you gotta know something about her and her life and stuggles, other wise you really can not appreciate her music. I will let you know if I can't find the Baker song...He is another one I love to listen to....He was special.

frenchmon
HI Frenchman..............its always a pleasure to see or hear someone who APPRECIATE Artist like Billy Holiday and Miles Davis.....As they are the through meaning of THA word STANDARDS ....lots of People can only listen to these Artist's!
BUT THEY CANNOT :2: HEAR THEM!!! :23: like you said one has to know the History ! ....until next time Win.

winston
08-01-2009, 08:14 PM
frenchmon.....i fond the CD with the TUNE (Alone Together) your gonna love this CD !!
its on one of the greatest collection of JAZZ songs your ever going to find on a two disc CD IMHO. THE ALBUM IS FROM PLAYBOY,PLAYBOY JAZZ,..JAZZ,AFTER DARK 2http://www.concordrecords.com or maybe just go to the BEST BUY.
let me know how it goes' when you pass this way..... Win.

JoeE SP9
08-02-2009, 02:02 PM
First in a series of looks at Monoprice cables - Stereo RCA

I will admit when I ordered these after discussing them with RR6 in another thread that I did not expect them to be anything worth listening to because of the price. I decided to keep an open mind. When they arrived I hooked the Monoprice up and listened expecting them to sound terrible. They did not. I hooked up a pair of out-of-the box cheapies and they DID sound terrible. At less than $5 shipped Monoprice, in my opinion, IS an inexpensive upgrade to out of the box cables.

I should probably explain to those interested, My DVD player is Integra Research's RDV-1 and has two outputs. I had my wife hook the Monoprice and a pair of Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 RCA up to my IR RDC-7 PRE/PRO at the DVD & CD inputs so I could switch back and forth between them with the remote. I then did not know which I was listening to when I switched, eliminating the placebo effect. There is a difference in sound, but not an immediate AHA that I expected. I picked out the Blue Jeans as the one I liked better but did not have time to listen enough to tell you why. Pleasantly surprised at the Monoprice for the money ! ! !

The pictures are of:
The invoice.
Out-of-the-box pair on left, Monoprice in the middle, Blue Jeans Cable on the right.
Close-up of the Monoprice.

It's very pleasing to read that someone else has found that IC's sound different. :biggrin5:

02audionoob
08-02-2009, 05:54 PM
It's very pleasing to read that someone else has found that IC's sound different. :biggrin5:

My Rhapsody Straightwire S interconnect from my DAC to my integrated amp sounds different than the one from Blue Jeans Cable that I had on it before. The one from BJC is on the phono preamp, now.

frenchmon
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
My Rhapsody Straightwire S interconnect from my DAC to my integrated amp sounds different than the one from Blue Jeans Cable that I had on it before. The one from BJC is on the phono preamp, now.

I thought about the Rhapsody by Straightwire. What do you think about it?

frenchmon

manlystanley
11-04-2009, 04:54 AM
When using Monoprice RCA cables for 2 Ch audio, I like to use the Premium Component video cables instead of the 2 channel RCA. The main difference being that these are Rg6 coax instead of Rg59 and provides a better conductor and likely better shielding as well. The RCA connectors seem to be a little bit nicer also on the component video. And of course, it is even stiffer, which is the main drawback to these.

Is there an audible difference between the two? Not sure, I haven't tried any AB testing, but the cost difference is a couple bucks, so who cares?

Zep, Your the man! I was trying out a new (to me) GTP-500 and it sounds bland. Well, I was using monoprice audio cables and switched them to monoprice video cables. Big improvement. Just for that I'll name my next child after you "Zep man". Errr.... Wall maybe I'll need to check with my wife about that.

Best Regards,
Stan

02audionoob
11-04-2009, 05:24 AM
I thought about the Rhapsody by Straightwire. What do you think about it?

frenchmon

I'm very happy with it. They're staying out of the way and allowing my system's smooth highs and tight bass to stay that way. I'm very sensitive to bright sound and getting the Rhapsody cables was an experiment to address that. They're doing their part...no more cable experiments since then.