Blown outdoor speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blown outdoor speakers

Ted75
05-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Forgive the stupid question guys but I have a kenwood stereo system that is 500w / 100w per channel and it has a feature to add front speakers with an A/B speaker option. I hooked up a pair of outdoor speakers I thought were 100w each but soon learned they were 50w each and quickly blew them. I have a new pair of the same and was wondering if I could reduce the watts to my B side by wireing them togeather on the left side, would that split the 100w?

Kevio
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Actually kinda hard to completely blow 50 W speakers with a 100 W amp. Are you getting no sound or have you just lost the high frequencies?

If you wired the two speakers in series to one channel, you'd halve the power available to each. If you wire in parallel you'll reduce the power but it may not be halved.

zepman1
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree, it would be hard to do damage to the speakers unless you were driving them at very loud levels. Typically the amp is putting out much less than the rated power even at moderately loud volumes. I have run 75W speakers on 100W amps with no ill effects at all.

What kind of speakers are these?

Kevio
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
It's not hard to blow tweeters by overdriving your amp. Doesn't have to be a big amp to put out more nastiness than they can safely handle.

zepman1
05-12-2009, 04:58 AM
right, but that's overdriving them. At normal, sane levels, it is hard to blow out a quality speaker, at least in my experience. If your dealing with poor quality speakers and amps, then yeah, its not too hard.

Kevio
05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking outdoor speakers + party = overdriven.

Clip indicators are rare on consumer or even audiophile amplifiers so it is difficult to know when you've entered dangerous territory.

Clip indicators are common on commercial amplifiers. You learn to depend on them because at high SPL levels and/or intentionally thrashy source material, you can't trust your ears to keep you out of trouble.