Custom Tower Feet Recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Custom Tower Feet Recommendation

nightflier
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I recently purchased 3 tower speaker sets in fair condition. The speakers all sound good and the drivers are all functioning, but the cabinets and the feet, in particular, are in bad shape. All the spike threads seem to be fine, so I thought maybe if I could get new feet... Now I know there are people who make custom speaker stands and who mod planar speakers, but could someone recommend a company that could make new speaker feet?

The three speakers are:
- Amphion Prio (birch veneer)
- Dali Piano Noble (silver finish)
- Energy C-7 (birch veneer)

Obviously a modern-themed collection. Anyhow, at first I thought that maybe wooden feet would be best, but matching the veneer might be a pita, so maybe steel or aluminum feet might be more appropriate.

Hyfi
05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I recently purchased 3 tower speaker sets in fair condition. The speakers all sound good and the drivers are all functioning, but the cabinets and the feet, in particular, are in bad shape. All the spike threads seem to be fine, so I thought maybe if I could get new feet... Now I know there are people who make custom speaker stands and who mod planar speakers, but could someone recommend a company that could make new speaker feet?

The three speakers are:
- Amphion Prio (birch veneer)
- Dali Piano Noble (silver finish)
- Energy C-7 (birch veneer)

Obviously a modern-themed collection. Anyhow, at first I thought that maybe wooden feet would be best, but matching the veneer might be a pita, so maybe steel or aluminum feet might be more appropriate.

5 years ago when I was still machining I could have made them for you. The thread is just 1/4-20 and a long set screw half in and half out would work. Do you know anyone in the machine shop business? A pc of 1" dia Stainless bar stock, a lathe, and a little time depending on shape desired.

I'll poke around and see what I find out there.......20 seconds later and....

BAM

http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm

http://www.oregondv.com/Outriggers.htm

bfalls
05-08-2009, 05:32 AM
I performed a quick search on ebay for "spikes" and received 25 hits for different models. If the receiver's threads are OK, make sure of the size and thread before ordering the spikes. Not all are 1/4 20, some are 5mm. If the threaded inserts need replaced you can go to a Lowe's, Home Depot, etc and ask for T-Nuts. They come in different sizes and thread and installed by tapping them into the "pilot" hole.

nightflier
05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
bfalls, I thought about just using spikes, but the speakers are all tall & thin so the feet will need to be wider to provide stability. I don't know anyone from a machine shop, so that's a bit of a hurdle for me. Maybe for the birch colored speakers that might work, but the Piano Nobles would look better with aluminum feet or a plynth. Actually, I'd consider something really nice like marble or glass too, but getting threaded inserts in those is probably not going to easy. Granite? Maybe I'll take a stroll through Home Depot this weekend.

By the way, I did give them all a good listen the last few days, and he Amphions are by far the best sounding, so I may just keep them - a bit bass-shy but they sound very coherent. The Dali's are nice too, but a bit thin sounding, especially in the bass. Considering how tall they are and that they are from Dali, I was really expecting more. The Energys are really just rocker/pop speakers: severely lacking in the mid-range (lots of bass & trebble, but not much else). Of course, I'm also wondering how much of this is due to the fact that they are sitting on rubber computer-mouse pads (that's all I have until I get some solid feet or plynths under them.