What a great summer for concerts! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What a great summer for concerts!

ForeverAutumn
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Last year I think that the only show we went to was REM. I complained all summer about how there were no good bands coming to town.

This year, we already have tickets for Coldplay/Elbow, The Decemberists, and Porcupine Tree/King's X. Tickets for Dream Theater's Progressive Nation tour go on sale on Monday. And I just found out that Green Day, Fleet Foxes and Maximo Park are all coming to town. And the summer concert announcements just keep on coming. What a difference from last year!

I'm going to have to make some tough decisions about who to see and who I'm going to have to pass on.

3-LockBox
05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, I missed The Shins last weekend, but it was an outdoor concert...in April...in Washington state...nuff said.

I do have Coldplay tickets...wierdest thing, my wife is suddenly a Coldplay fan - she actually bought their latest CD all by her self. Its been kinda fun playing her the few bands I have that are similar and/or better; Keane, The Shins, DCFC, Vetiver, Gomez, Guster, the last Radiohead, and I even been sneaking in some Marillion and Porcupine Tree!

Only thing is, while FA will get to see Elbow (Coldplay should be opening for them) and in Vancouver BC, Snow Patrol will open for them, the rest of the west will get a slightly different lineup.

July 11th, at the Gorge Amphitheater in George WA (yeah, I know)
Coldplay w/ Amadou & Miriam; also Kitty Daisy & Lewis

http://www.myspace.com/amadouandmariam
http://www.myspace.com/kittydaisyandlewis

How ****in hippy is that? I mean, are they touring on a train with Country Joe & The Fish? Woody Guthrie? Jefferson Airplane? Is Papa John Creach and Jorma Kaukonen gonna come out and jam with Coldplay?

I wouldn't mind seeing small acts like that in a pub or small club or craft fair, but at the prices they're getting to play w/ Coldplay? Oh well, at least it passes for a mother's day present.

ForeverAutumn
05-07-2009, 05:34 AM
I'l get to see Kitty, Daisy & Lewis too. Yippeee! Snow Patrol would have also been very cool. I'd like to see them live. I checked their tour schedule to see if they'll be coming here. And they are...but it's opening for U2. :(

Hyfi
05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, Kieth Emerson was canceled after I got great tickets.

Les Dudek was also canceled after I got tickets but we got tickets for the rescheduled event in June.

I have never had 2 shows canceled after buying tickets.......heck, it never happened to me before at all.

Auricauricle
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Bummage....Um, if you wanna join the crew, Hy, we'll be checking Gordon Lightfoot out when he hits C'ton this weekend....Bring a lighter! Woo-hoo.

Hyfi
05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Bummage....Um, if you wanna join the crew, Hy, we'll be checking Gordon Lightfoot out when he hits C'ton this weekend....Bring a lighter! Woo-hoo.

Just did that a few months ago with John Sebastion.

Auricauricle
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh, well....Ya dawg! ;)

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Got my Progressive Nation tickets through a pre-sale this morning. Dream Theater, Beardfish, Pain of Salvation, and Zappa plays Zappa. I'm so excited about this show!

3-LockBox
05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Got my Progressive Nation tickets through a pre-sale this morning. Dream Theater, Beardfish, Pain of Salvation, and Zappa plays Zappa. I'm so excited about this show!

Wow, POS is touring Canada, I wonder if it includes a US swing. Supposedly, the lead singer of POS, Daniel Gildenow is so anti-US that he's refused to tour here...like he's turning down throngs of people or something...POS really fell out of favor with the last few releases, but their back catalog still gets plenty of rotation.

But that sounds like a killer lineup. I wonder how obvious Beardfish's Zappalike tendencies will standout playing on the same bill as ZPZ.

DT will of course be, DT - they are the headliner, right?

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Wow, POS is touring Canada, I wonder if it includes a US swing. Supposedly, the lead singer of POS, Daniel Gildenow is so anti-US that he's refused to tour here...like he's turning down throngs of people or something...POS really fell out of favor with the last few releases, but their back catalog still gets plenty of rotation.

But that sounds like a killer lineup. I wonder how obvious Beardfish's Zappalike tendencies will standout playing on the same bill as ZPZ.

DT will of course be, DT - they are the headliner, right?

Check out MCs thread here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=30588) for US dates announced so far. It is the same line-up in the US and Canada.

DT is headlining. I'm not sure of the order of the other acts. BarryL and I were discussing that this morning. I thing that it will be Beardfish, POS, Zappa. Barry thinks that POS will get the sweet spot before DT. Who is right will be revealed soon enough. Although from looking at the promotional poster just now, I suspect that I'm right. http://www.progressivenation2009.com/ Too bad. I'd rather hear more of POS.