iTunes question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : iTunes question

ForeverAutumn
05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know whether I can assign more than one genre to a song?

More and more I've been playing my iPod on shuffle by genre. But there are some songs that I'd like to hear in different genre groupings. I suppose I could set up playlists, but with the amount of music on my iPod it would be a lot easier to just assign the song by genre.

Slosh
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think you can do that but you can just make some smart playlists that include multiple genres.

Troy
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, you cannot do this, but you are taking the wrong approach. You should simply create a playlist and drop all your klezmer-prog (or whatever genre you want) into it.

There's a billion ways to make playlists. You might use this for inspiration:
http://lifehacker.com/355743/top-10-itunes-smart-playlists
In there it mentions using keywords to give the songs attributes, but at that point, rather than typing all that, just drag and drop the songs you want into a playlist and listen to it on shuffle!

Personally, I have playlists for Progrock, instrumentals, Driving, Cover versions, Recently purchased albums, Songs that haven't been played in 2009, Lounge music, Party songs, Songs my wife likes, and a dozen others. I use them all.

Kevio
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
You can put any keywords you like in the Grouping or Notes fields and then create a smart playlist that selects songs that "contains" that keyword in the specified field.

noddin0ff
05-06-2009, 06:07 AM
The solution that works but isn't very elegant is to 'get info' on a track or album. Type in what ever genres you want to call it (you can use the genre field but it will also create a new genre called 'alternative, progressive, klezmer') or do as Kevio suggests and fill the comments field.

Then use smart lists to cull through them. A smart list pulling all genres with progressive will pull it up out of 'alternative, progressive, klezmer'

ForeverAutumn
05-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. Smart playlists, eh? This is something new to me and I can see that this is going to become a project to update all my song info. Sigh. But it sounds like the solution that I'm looking for...even if it's not the easiest way to go about it.

I'll use Troy's drag and drop method in the interim.

Thanks boys! I knew I could count on you!

Slosh
05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I do smart playlist such as:

Indie & Alt. Country between 1990-2009

or

Punk & Hardcore between 1975-1985

etc., etc.

Much easier than adding additional tags and gets me pretty much what I want.