Spam in my inbox! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spam in my inbox!

Brainstorm
05-05-2009, 07:21 AM
I noticed you have dealt with this Muppet called (robin banks) who was terminated from the site last year. Yeah I haven’t been on for while and just noticed I had a few pm.

This jerk also posted over at Lansing Heritage last year under a different username called Captain Sensible who only lasted 15 minutes before it was plain all curtains for him, I mean IT!

That site is a load of rubbish and so far beyond retarded. I swear if I knew where this rat lived I’ll kick his door-in without even bother to ring the doorbell, now how’s that for some LFE.1!

That site or what ever it is needs to be pulled off the internet and the person tracked down by tasty bloodhounds!

Was this nut case loser only posting pm and one infantile post about his noodyland site?:19:

markw
05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
What were the dates on those PM's?

Are they current, or could the problem have been discovered and resolved in your absence?

bobsticks
05-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow.

Now this is some spam attack...

Rich-n-Texas
05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
The whole fvcking site has been spammed.

This is absolutely rediculous.

Why I hang here is beyond me.

bobsticks
05-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Easy, big fella. We gots the best peeps in the biz...

RoadRunner6
05-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Did you report it?

The first thread was posted about 2:38pm Pacific Time. It is now 4:08pm Pacific Time. I reported it at about 3:50pm Pacific time. Let's see how long it takes for them to remove it.

bobsticks
05-23-2009, 03:13 PM
BTW, both you characters need to give strong consideration to the Chicago trip in September...

...more on-topic, my plan is just to bump a thread in every sub-forum. Whomever this jackass is spent enough time to start a thread in each...why give 'em the pleasure of headline status?

bobsticks
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
...I ran outta steam...got abso nothin' to say about Cables or Portable Audio...good luck all, may the force be with you...

markw
05-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, as soon as I noticed it I did my civic duty and hit the "report bad post" icon. Shortly afterwards, good ole JM did his appointed job and removed 'em.

No complaints here, aside from the fact that any spambot can get in on a moment's notice, drop his business, and be gone like a train.

I still say it's too damn easy to find this site, join, and spam the becheezeus out of it, and be outta here.

JohnMichael
05-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, as soon as I noticed it I did my civic duty and hit the "report bad post" icon.

Thank You mark. Reprting bad posts are a great help to us mods. Much more of a benefit than just complaining.

RoadRunner6
05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
I reported it at about 3:50pm Pacific time.

I guess JM is not going to thank me for reporting it. Sob, sob, sniff, sniff :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

JohnMichael
05-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I guess JM is not going to thank me for reporting it. Sob, sob, sniff, sniff :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

Yes RoadRunner6 I am going to thank you. I also received your report. You are one who is consistent in your reporting of spam. You deserve Special Mention. :thumbsup:

RoadRunner6
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Oh Thanks JM, now I can quit whining and go back to arguing about plasma's versus LCD's with the Pix. :D :D :D

BTW, thanks for the good work you do for all the forum members here!

GMichael
05-24-2009, 05:16 AM
I have noticed that some forums will not let a new member post links until they have 5 posts. May not seem like much, but it could help.

Rich-n-Texas
05-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes RoadRunner6 I am going to thank you. I also received your report. You are one who is consistent in your reporting of spam. You deserve Special Mention. :thumbsup:
Spare me this crap. I've done enough fvckin reporting. Nothing changes here.

Rich-n-Texas
05-24-2009, 07:14 AM
I have noticed that some forums will not let a new member post links until they have 5 posts. May not seem like much, but it could help.
Made that suggestion months ago. Suggested that members MUST be able to set their preferences to allow e-mail from admins. Made the suggestion that the registration process mirror the process at Home Theater Shack. Deaf ears every time.

When I went to the Home page and saw EVERY forum with spam, I also saw NO mods on the site. How 'bout that Johnmichael?

markw
05-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Made that suggestion months ago. Suggested that members MUST be able to set their preferences to allow e-mail from admins. Made the suggestion that the registration process mirror the process at Home Theater Shack. Deaf ears every time.

When I went to the Home page and saw EVERY forum with spam, I also saw NO mods on the site. How 'bout that Johnmichael?AFAICT, mods are not paid to be here, nor are they required to have one baby-sitting this site 24/7. They provide a voluntary service to a site that doesn't charge anything to join or post on.

Given that, I'd say the mods (JM in particular) are quite willing to do what has to be done in a timely manner AS LONG AS THEY KNOW ABOUT IT!!!

Buy, yes, "they"* could tighten it up a little but I think that's not within the abilities of the mods.

The owners, not the mods.

JohnMichael
05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
AFAICT, mods are not paid to be here, nor are they required to have one baby-sitting this site 24/7. They provide a voluntary service to a site that doesn't charge anything to join or post on.

Given that, I'd say the mods (JM in particular) are quite willing to do what has to be done in a timely manner AS LONG AS THEY KNOW ABOUT IT!!!

Buy, yes, "they"* could tighten it up a little but I think that's not within the abilities of the mods.

The owners, not the mods.

Mark as you may or may not know I was chosen mainly to delete spam. As a mod I am able to delete spam and ban spammers. Or when someone is being continuously offensive to members. I have no other powers to effect the workings of AudioReview. I have been accused of being an admin and many other unsavory things. (no offense Adam:D ) I am just a simple man with a simple delete key and a liking and loyalty for AudioReview.

bobsticks
05-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I am just a simple man with a simple delete key and a liking and loyalty for AudioReview.

...and we have a loyalty to you, my friend. Thanks for the vigilance and keep doin' that voodoo that you do...

markw
05-25-2009, 04:36 AM
So, I guess that makes you "The Spaminator!!!

(with apologies to David Crosby)

atomicAdam
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
guys - if there is someone out there looking for the power to delete spam let me know - i'm sure AR could use another mod.

markw
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
JM's doing a great job at removing it. I think the issue here is more like implementing changes "up front" to help prvent it in th first place. It's too easy to find this site join, plaster it with spam and be gone in a matter of minutes.

Most other sites (that don't seem to suffer as much spam) require one or more of the following:

An email address which is sent a link which new users must respond from.

Some sort of "visual" mimic whereby some alpha-numeric response to a changing pattern is required.

A minimum nunmber of posts before being allowed to post a link.

There are others, but as RinT said, they have all been suggested, and ignored, in the past.