What cable connectors work with Energy Take 5 Classic speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What cable connectors work with Energy Take 5 Classic speakers?

theosophe74
05-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I followed the advice given in another thread in this forum to go with Blue Jeans Cable to obtain all of the HDMI and speaker cables I would need for my new HTS.

Unfortunately, the holes inside the terminals for the Take 5 Classic speakers are too small to insert locking banana plugs into them.

Is there some sort of banana-to-pin adapter out there that would have a better chance of fitting the Take 5's? Or do I have to strip the ends of the wires and use unterminated connections for the Take 5's? I really don't feel comfortable doing the latter, and I'd prefer not to have to buy all new wire with the right speaker terminations from Blue Jeans Cable if it can be avoided.

FYI, the banana plugs on the speaker wires plug directly into the backs of the speaker outputs on my Onkyo TX-SR607 amplifier just fine.

Thanks in advance.

RoadRunner6
05-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Be sure there is not a rubber plug on the end of the speaker binding post that needs to be removed before you can attach the banana connectors straight into the binding posts.

I don't know about an adapter but you could check Parts Express or Ram Electronics.

Otherwise you can do what you suggested and that is attaching a smaller pin type connector (some are curved) to the end that attaches to the speaker. An alternative is just to use the bare wire twisted to attach to the speaker binding post.

Or you could return the speaker cables to Blu Jeans and just use regular speaker wire and attach the bare wire to both the speakers and the receiver.

There is actually nothing wrong with using simple bare wire ends. The intitial hook up is less convenient but once you get them hooked up, if you are not messing with them again then there is no problem. The speaker wire end connectors are just for convenience and do not enhance the performance in any way. Just be sure you do not have any threads of wire touching the other terminal. etc., just use some care. You can buy bulk speaker wire or simply use bulk lamp wire (zip cord, 18ga). Just make sure you have heavier gauge wire for longer lengths over 25' or so. No need to spend lots of money on speaker cable for a $400 speaker system (a very good speaker system by the way, great choice).

RR6 :D

theosophe74
05-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks, RoadRunner6. There are metallic screw covers for the Take 5 speaker binding posts, but of course I removed them. :-) The holes are just too small for a banana plug, which is odd because I thought that was a standard.

I'm going to see if Blue Jeans Cable will take back the double-terminated cable, and will either produce cable that has bananas on one end and pins on the other, or bananas on one end and just unterminated on the other.

Thanks again,
Mike

RoadRunner6
05-04-2009, 10:52 AM
They are great folks from my neck of the woods (Seattle). I'm sure a quick phone call will get their best recommendation. Good luck.

Ones like this might be an option:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/IXOS216/IXOS/216-24kt-Gold-ANGLED-SPEAKER-PINS-2-PAIR/1.html

bfalls
05-05-2009, 06:34 AM
The Energy Take 5 manual call the connector a "mini 5-way binding post". I searched it online and several sites say it's compatible with Banana plugs and up to 10ga speaker wire. It sounds like you should be able to use the connectors you have. I've seen dual bananas where the spacing of the two didn't match the spacing on the receiver, or speaker, but none that wouldn't fit in the banana holes.

This may sound stupid to ask, but I have to because there are so many uninitiated starting their first HT. You are attempting to put the bananas in the top of the plug and not trying to push it through the hole in the threaded shaft, correct? As stated before, many manufacturers put a plug in the top hole you need to remove before use. My B&W LM-1s were this way as well as my Klipsch KSF1.2s. I'm not trying to be condescending, but it won't be the first time someone was unaware of this.

theosophe74
05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Nope, not condescending at all. I am that ignorant. :-)

Sorry for the trouble. It turns out that banana plugs do fit, but not through the hole that's in the cross section of the binding post. You just have to permanently remove the metallic cap from each binding post and stick the banana plugs straight in. I guess it just looked like the caps were so permanent, that I thought they were never supposed to come all the way off.:blush2:

Thanks again for your help.

bfalls
05-06-2009, 05:23 AM
No problem. I had to ask since I had the same experience the first time I used banana plugs. I purchased a set and had them installed on the cable, only to find there was no hole in the end of the connector. I had to look at the speaker's manual to find I had to remove plugs. A lesson easily remembered.