Speaker care? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker care?

Andyvalver
05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Firstly, hi im new lol

I have a question. I have a pair of bowers and wilkins 602's. Had them years now and they are great. Only problem i have is that over the years the rubber around the main bass speaker has gone light in colour and i was sondering if there is anything i can buy to rub on it to restore it to better condition. The rubber is fine, just looks faded. Dunno why they have gone like it tbh.

Any ideas guys?

Pic here so you know what im on about lol

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/Andyvalver/bw.jpg

Andyvalver
05-05-2009, 11:36 AM
A whole day, no replies? Thanks for sweet FA

audio amateur
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you keep the speaker covers on? Is the speaker ever in direct sunlight? I'm not sure what to recommend. If it's faded chances are you won't be able to get it back, but then I could be wrong.

basite
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
sorry for the late response...

I haven't seen much cases like this but, it seems that your rubber has faded...
as AA already asked, are the speakers in direct sunlight? long exposures (as you said, over the years :)) to direct sunlight, could fade the rubber, possibly making it stiffer (could affect the sound, if it becomes worse...)

or do you use any cleaning products when you clean your speakers? something agressive could also fade/dry out the rubber. I think that this is more likely, the rubber looks like it has something, or at least marks of something that was spread over it. could be an agressive, 'non rubber friendly' cleaning product, or something else that reacts with rubber...

if you push on the surrounds with your finger, does it still feel flexible, as rubber should feel? could also be that a certain product has altered the original color of the surrounds...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Kevio
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
If it is appearance you are concerned about, ArmorAll does a good job making rubber and plastic look good. I doubt a careful application would affect the sound and I doubt it would cause damage but those are my opinions and the risk is yours.

If it's longevity you're concerned about, best to try and understand why this has happened and make some changes. Probably would also want to clean it up or decontaminate somehow in that case too.

Kevio
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
A whole day, no replies? Thanks for sweet FA

sorry for the late response...

:rolleyes:

audio amateur
05-06-2009, 02:53 AM
:rolleyes:
I may not have replied if i knew what FA meant :D (I still don't :p)

Poultrygeist
05-06-2009, 06:20 AM
and they will look like brand new. If they ever go, replacing the surrounds is an easy DIY repair.