How important is it to use the same name brand speakers in a HT setup ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to use the same name brand speakers in a HT setup ??

D.G.
05-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I recently began to assemble a small 5.1 HT system in my bedroom.Im using a Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver ,Energy C100 bookshelf speakers for fronts with the intention of purchasing all Energy speakers in the future with the exception of the subwoofer ( using a Polk PSW 110 sub )but while looking around in Best Buy I found a center channel by a company call Definitive Technology( I dont know much about them being a newbie) , its a ProCenter 1000 and it was $79.99 (open box item).It sounds absolutely great but it seems to play just a little louder than my Energy's which simple adjusting solved but my main concern is about the whole timbre matching thing. Is it really that important ? I just want decent HT in my bedroom that sounds good without paying an arm and a leg.Thanx. Guys im also so sorry about the duplicate thread but I DONT KNOW HOW TO REMOVE IT !

Worf101
05-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Some folks think it's essential, some don't. All my HT systems have had mismatched fronts. I went for the biggest clearest center channels I could afford at the time. My last center was different in that I had to find one that would fit between my new LCD and the cabinet it's resting on. The plethora of adjustments available for me in my Onkyo 905 enabled me to match up my BA Center with my Platinum Audio Studio 3's.

Da Worfster

Mr Peabody
05-04-2009, 05:23 AM
As stated with receiver adjustments there's no electrical reason. I found a nice improvement in sound quality though once mine all matched. I was even using the same brand but a lower series for center. I didn't notice an issue when I listened which is probably the most important, but when I upgraded to the same series I could tell everything was more seamless and synergized..

GMichael
05-04-2009, 05:30 AM
It would be best if all your speakers matched perfectly. With that said, less than perfect can sure sound good. How does it sound to you? That's what really matters. Listen for when you hear something move from side to side and across the front. Do you notice a huge difference in sound as it moves from one speaker to the other?

blackraven
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
I chose a center channel with the clearest dialogue and went with that. Clear dialogue was more important to me than timbre matching. I took home and returned several center channels until I found one that sounded the best.

If the energy center sounds the best to you then go for it. If the DT sounds better then get that.

The center channel is the most important speaker to be able to clearly hear the dialogue.

D.G.
05-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanx a bunch guys ! Im really pleased with the sound of this center channel and i've also done some research about the company and they look pretty reputable.

3db
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
For HT and not for multichannel music, its important that thecenter channel timber match with the left and right channel speakers. This is most easily done by using teh same manufacturer within the same series of speaker. This way pans across the three channels will sound seamless. Otherwise the pans seem discontinuous. Some people don't mind this but for me, it distracts greatly from the movie.

Rich-n-Texas
05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Some folks think it's essential, some don't. All my HT systems have had mismatched fronts. I went for the biggest clearest center channels I could afford at the time. My last center was different in that I had to find one that would fit between my new LCD and the cabinet it's resting on. The plethora of adjustments available for me in my Onkyo 905 enabled me to match up my BA Center with my Platinum Audio Studio 3's.

Da Worfster
Worf's socks don't match either so...

Mr Peabody
05-06-2009, 04:47 PM
3db, thanks for hanging around, it's nice to have some one else with discerning listening skills.

D.G.
05-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe I can sell or exchange the Definitive Technology Center speaker and get the Energy Center to match my fronts . The Def Tech Center sounds really good and is the perfect size for my set up . Not quite sure if I really want to part with it yet. Decisions,decisions.

Mr Peabody
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
DG, if you are happy with the set up then stick with it. If you have room for the Energy you might see if they will let you try it out to see if you'd be happy with it. Matching fronts are best but you will be the man in front of the screen and the one to please You sound happy with the Def Tech and I'd hate to see you spend more money and end up not as satisfied.

D.G.
05-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanx guys !

Poultrygeist
05-13-2009, 05:19 AM
It's important to have timbre matched speakers across the front but for the rears it's less important. The rear channels don't provide nearly as much content in 5.1 as the fronts. Subs don't require a timbre match.

In my main HT setup I have floor standing Athena F2's and matching C-1 center for fronts with smaller Athena BS1's in back. I exchanged the rear BS1's for Cambridge Sound Model Sixes which improved the sound as they can be placed close to the wall.

In a bedroom system with center channel space restraints I paired two Insignia BS2111's with a Monitor Audio Bronze Center and Insignia rears with good results. The Bronze turned out to work nicely with the Insignias but the only perfect center match for an Insignia BS2111 is another Insignia BS2111.

D.G.
05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Thank you so much for the information. I've decided to keep the Def Tech center speaker on board.The sound is awsome and im quite pleased.