Really lousy TV sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Really lousy TV sound

radioflier
05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
For this whole past week, evening prime time CBS programs have been mostly unlistenable. The balance between the dialog and the background music/noise has been way off with the background mostly drowning out the dialog. In addition, the whole audio track has been severely distorted making the listening experience a difficult and painful one. This is only happening on CBS programs and not other channels. The insertions by the local CBS station are clear and understandable (news breaks, local commercials, weather, news, etc). CSI MIAMI, NCIS, MENTALIST, CRIMINAL MINDS, FLASHPOINT, and others are examples. The problem is the same over the system speakers and headphones; both TVs in the house are affected.

My thinking is that this has to be a CBS feed to the local station problem. Reason is 1) only CBS programs are affected, and 2) the local news over the CBS station is clear.

Has anyone else heard this in the past week.

EdwardGein
05-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you have cable TV and are you getting digital 5.1 sound? You might want to check your cable out for a loose connection as well as your Audio Settings if your getting it digitally from cable. If its not that, call your cable or Satellite TV company and report the problem and have them send someone out to check it out. If you have a DVR the easiest thing is just to record something and show it to them.

radioflier
05-24-2009, 03:48 AM
PROBLEM RESOLVED!

Time Warner came out last week and found low signals at the wall outlets. Although I couldn't hear it he said we had distortion on all channels when he was here. He also said our picture could be a lot better!

He replaced all connections, splitters, and cables he could get to from the cable box in the back yard to as close as he could get to the TVs (couldn't do the last 3 feet due to having to tear the entertainment unit apart to get to it). I'll replace those as soon as I get time.

He found a corroded connection in the yard cable box, problems with the building wiring that was installed when the house was built 10 years ago, and obsolete connectors and splitters installed incorrectly 10 years ago by TW. Sound and picture are near perfect now!

pixelthis
05-24-2009, 10:34 PM
It is SOP to replace all of the cable, splitters, etc when I move anywhere, and I am lucky if I don't have to rewire the place. And I have installed all three of the dish systems I have had.
I could tell you some stories , before the nimrods at the cable company figured out that
a "service rep"(high school dropout) delivering a box to everybody was a waste and let people start picking them up, I saw some doozies, best was this guy who insisted on hooking my new DVR up to channel three!
Of course after he left I hooked it up properly.
I try to handle as much tech as I can , thats why I build my own computers.:1: