I didn't take no shortcuts (some Strokes love) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I didn't take no shortcuts (some Strokes love)

Monkey Bones
04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I spent the money that I saved up
Aw mama runnin' out of luck
Well like my sister don't give a ****

Man, that Strokes debut still makes me wanna rock and roll. Always gives me a good feeling. One of the classic debuts.

So this is a day late and maybe a couple dollars short, but what's been the soundtrack to your week so far? I've been spending some time with the middle section of Andrew Bird's latest and it gets a double plus good from me, though (like the last one) it does go a bit on the meh outside of the sweet spot. Still, very enjoyable from play, even if I would trim a couple songs.

And picked up the Led Zeppelin Mothership double CD collection from the library. I do love Zep, but this thing is atrocious. Some of the worst mastering I've heard. Really unlistenable, just constantly loud and distorted volume throughout. Don't understand who this is marketed to. Shame, but not unexpected since it was 2007.

Three Mile Pilot from another post, good stuff. They have a new one supposed to be out this year, don't know how it fits within the Pinback and Black Heart Procession schedule, but they have been doing some shows, so looks good. Hope it's some heavy stuff.

Got some Richard Davies from There's Never Been a Crowd Like This on last, really got his 70's Bowie jones going on. Love it.

Anyone else?

dean_martin
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Listened to the new Andrew Bird for the first time last night and followed it with Whiskeytown's Stranger's Almanac while sipping some Van Winkle Family Reserve bourbon and flippin' through some old movie reference books (heavy use before the days of internet) that had been boxed up for way too long - a rare and enjoyable evening indeed.

That Strokes album still gets heavy play in my ride and the alternate cover ain't too shabby.

ForeverAutumn
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I have no Strokes love to give (sorry boys). Not because I hate them, but because I don't know them. And I can't love who I don't know.

I have been having a big old love fest with Brian Vander Ark and Jim Cuddy this week. I played some John Denver yesterday too. Edwin McCain's and Ryan Adams' voices graced my speakers a few days ago. I just seem to be in that kind of simple, stripped back, vocal mood at the moment. I'm listening to some Justin Rutledge right now and that just carries on this theme.

That 70's Bowie reference to the Richard Davies disk has me interested.

Monkey Bones
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Listened to the new Andrew Bird for the first time last night and followed it with Whiskeytown's Stranger's Almanac while sipping some Van Winkle Family Reserve bourbon

No idea how good was the bourbon buzz, but I can tell you the Mirror Pond Pale Ale buzz felt pretty good last night in the late (after all the you know what) hours. Bird and Whiskeytown sounds like you know how to get there too.

dean_martin
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
No idea how good was the bourbon buzz, but I can tell you the Mirror Pond Pale Ale buzz felt pretty good last night in the late (after all the you know what) hours. Bird and Whiskeytown sounds like you know how to get there too.

yes, I was there too. but alas it will soon be too hot down south for sippin' bourbon neat.

Swish
04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
...it really heavy this week in my car since I've been a road warrior most 'o the time. Here's the list and I'll be glad to share it with anyone who thinks it's up their alley, just send me a PM. It's a bit more up tempo than my usual mix, although not totally, so be forewarned:

1. 505 - Artic Monkeys
2. No Emotion - Idlewild
3. Rats - The Walkmen
4. Vibration - Whigs
5. That's How Old People Grow Up - Morrissey
6. Always Where I Need to Be - Kooks
7. You Can't Have It All - Ash
8. Weapon of Choice - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
9. Hang Me Up to Dry - Cold War Kids
10. GFC- Albert Hammond Jr.
11. Hey Little World - Hives
12. The Silence Between Us - Bob Mould
13. Right Hand on My Heart - Hives
14. Bad Blood - Supergrass
15. The 59 Sound - Gaslight Anthem
16. Heat Dies Down- Kaiser Chiefs
17. Man size Wreath- R.E.M.
18. I'm Amazed- My Morning Jacket
19. Four Winds- Bright Eyes

Slosh
04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm really into the new Future Of The Left at the moment. Every bit as good as Curses IMO on par with McLusky too.