Franz Ferdinand vs. The Decemberists [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Franz Ferdinand vs. The Decemberists

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
So here's the deal. I have a friend who bought two tickets to see Franz Ferdinand without having someone else to go with. Her girlfriend has agreed to go with her if she can't find anyone else, but doesn't really want to go. They've both been trying to get me to go instead.

I'm looking for someone to see The Decemberists with. The friend with the FF tickets has agreed to see The Decemberists with me if I go to FF with her. Yes, it's blackmail.

I'm not a big fan of Franz. Do they put on a good live show? It's on a Monday night, which is going to set the tone for being tired the rest of the work week. Is it worth paying the price to have someone to see The Decemberists with?

Swish
04-29-2009, 04:57 AM
So here's the deal. I have a friend who bought two tickets to see Franz Ferdinand without having someone else to go with. Her girlfriend has agreed to go with her if she can't find anyone else, but doesn't really want to go. They've both been trying to get me to go instead.

I'm looking for someone to see The Decemberists with. The friend with the FF tickets has agreed to see The Decemberists with me if I go to FF with her. Yes, it's blackmail.

I'm not a big fan of Franz. Do they put on a good live show? It's on a Monday night, which is going to set the tone for being tired the rest of the work week. Is it worth paying the price to have someone to see The Decemberists with?

By LARRY GETLEN
Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
TODAY'S HOT TOPICS

Posted: 1:29 am
January 25, 2009

THE driving pop of Franz Ferdinand seems an almost effortless glide at times, as songs steer themselves toward unforgettable hooks with instinctive ease. So it comes as a surprise, when discussing how the songs on the band's new CD, "Tonight: Franz Ferdinand," out Tuesday, were largely crafted in front of club audiences, and to learn that the band's first big hit, "Take Me Out," almost didn't make it out of development.

"The first time we played 'Take Me Out,' it didn't work," says the Scottish band's singer, Alex Kapranos. "The audience was really baffled, thinking, what are you trying to do here? It took a bit of trial and error to get it right."

But in playing live, the band learned what worked, what didn't and how to make the necessary fixes, including placing the verses at the beginning of the song and the choruses at the end, and altering the tempo on all. The result led to two Grammy nominations, as well as UK honors including the Mercury Music Prize and two Brit Awards.

So in writing the songs for this, their third CD - their sophomore effort, "You Could Have It So Much Better," also received Grammy nominations - they took the same approach in testing the material in clubs and letting both audience reaction and the songs' visceral feel determine their ultimate form.

"For us as a band, a song doesn't properly exist until you've played it live," says Kapranos. "There's something about playing in front of an audience . . . not just the audience reaction, but the way you play as well. There's a lot more adrenaline that goes into it. You feel like you're putting your blood into the songs as they become alive."

ForeverAutumn
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Swish. I checked out some You Tube stuff and it does look like they put on a great show. I'm still undecided about Franz, but I ordered tickets for The Decemberists. I can drag Hubby if all else fails. He's not a huge fan, but he usually appreciates a band more after seeing them live. He didn't want to see The Shins either, but became a fan after I dragged him to their show.