U2 NLOTH Lovin' or Hatin [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : U2 NLOTH Lovin' or Hatin

bcwgobuffs
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
So, I browse out here looking for more help on my ampllifier thread {http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=284061} and thought hmm, what's up with this crowd in regards to the new U2 collection?

I do a search, and see a little hatin' on older U2, specifically HTDAAB.

But -- now granted, Boots was a crap selection for the opening single, but if you give this disc a chance, 7 or so songs are really good to good.

Breathe, Magnificent, Stand Up Comedy, I'll Go Crazy, Boots, No Line On the Horizon, and Fez-Being Born.

Unknown Caller -- good music, crap lyric.
Moment of Surrender -- decent song, but way too damn long
White As Snow -- boring as hell.
Cedars of Lebanon -- pretty powerful lyric and story, but eh, not so great.

It does take a few listens to get used to -- thoughts?

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Welcome to our little music forum. Sorry, I haven't heard the new U2, I'm not a fan, so I can't comment. I just wanted to say 'hi' and 'welcome'. :)

02audionoob
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I had to search the Wikipedia article to figure out what HTDAAB and NLOTH are, but greetings...and kudos to U2 for TJT.

Hyfi
04-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Hello, and welcome! Don't sweat it, not many like my fusion posts either. :frown2:

Like she said, not a fan at all but welcome to RR.

Mr MidFi
04-28-2009, 05:53 AM
This one's actually growing on me. The 'radio-friendly' tunes suck (even by the low standards of radio-friendly tunes). But the Eno/Lanois-enhanced album tracks have some interesting and cool moments. "Fez: Being Born" will probably make my 2009 Year In Review comp.

And, as others have said, welcome to Rave Recs. It's like the first circle of Purgatory, except goofier.

3-LockBox
04-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm not a U2 hater, I used to be a fan. U2 is a been there, done that band for me now. Just like John Mellencamp, a guy who's albums I dutifully bought for almost two decades, but now have no interest in listening.

I have no use for the band's '90s output. I did like U2's ATYCLB as it was a return of sorts to their mid '80s sound. HTDAAB has a sameness to it, like a Coldplay album or something.

I haven't heard NLOTH, so I have no opinion on it. I'm sure I'll run across someone who has it, and maybe I'll give it a spin then.

Oh, BTW: welcome to the forum.

Auricauricle
04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Welcome....No big U2 fan here, but someone who will definitely give TJT a good crank, now and then!

Kevio
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
I own enough U2. Same for REM. I prefer to spend my time discovering and listening to new stuff.

bcwgobuffs
04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
OK -- if you have not listend to NLOTH, do so -- it's worth the 40 minutes, especailly the 7 songs I mentioned -- if you don't like them, or at least a few of them, AND you listen to each one twice, then kick me off this forum area (-:

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I own enough U2. Same for REM. I prefer to spend my time discovering and listening to new stuff.

I understand what you're saying but Accelerator is a great album IMO. If you're an REM fan and you don't have this one then you're missing out. My own humble opinion of course.

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
OK -- if you have not listend to NLOTH, do so -- it's worth the 40 minutes, especailly the 7 songs I mentioned -- if you don't like them, or at least a few of them, AND you listen to each one twice, then kick me off this forum area (-:

Besides U2, what else are you listening to?

Kevio
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
OK -- if you have not listend to NLOTH, do so -- it's worth the 40 minutes, especailly the 7 songs I mentioned -- if you don't like them, or at least a few of them, AND you listen to each one twice, then kick me off this forum area (-:No one's going to kick you off this form. You've provided a useful service highlighting the best tracks on the album. Even if you hadn't contributed anything useful, we'd still love you ;)

ETA: Something else that bugs me about these big hyped releases from some of these dinosaurs is that on the release date the publicity machine is chugging at such a fever pitch that it drowns out any objectivity. I don't know if the newspapers magazines and radio stations get caught up in the hype or are simply paid for their goodwill but it is often not until the publicity machine gets cranking for the band's next big release that you hear anything remotely negative e.g. "We got a bit lost musically on our previous release but this one sees us back in true form."

bcwgobuffs
04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Recently went iTunes for some old Eminem; enjoy the Killers (Sams Town is under-rated) and have gone old school Skid Row and Poison for my hair band fix. Hard to find new stuff, its all bubblegum pop these days; and I also enjoy the Goo Goo Dolls -- they are excellent at bubblegum!

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Recently went iTunes for some old Eminem; enjoy the Killers (Sams Town is under-rated) and have gone old school Skid Row and Poison for my hair band fix. Hard to find new stuff, its all bubblegum pop these days; and I also enjoy the Goo Goo Dolls -- they are excellent at bubblegum!

There's lots of new stuff out there. You just have to look elsewhere than the radio. This forum is a good place to start. For example, if you like The Killers, look up Maximo Park, The Arctic Monkeys and The Trews. I think that you'll find them all on MySpace for your sampling enjoyment. :)

There are lots of music lovers here willing to help you find some new stuff if you're so inclinced.

bcwgobuffs
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Excellent, cuz with three kids under 6, I have little time to join in the hunt!

Thanks for the recos -- I think I'll start with Arctic Monkeys!

3-LockBox
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Hard to find new stuff, its all bubblegum pop these days

my oh my :nonod:

Well, like FA stated, you may as well start here, and check out Demetrio's CD suggestions thread, for starters. Read some older threads...yeah, some threads are not-so-music-oriented, but RaveRecs is how I broke from the radio doldrums about 10 years ago. Plenty of info here

Here's a link to a documentary explaining why radio is the last place anyone should look for new music:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-856606244008931882&ei=34jjSeDJK9CF-Aa0hvmgBw&q=rock+documentary
Warning: it is a movie length doc

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Excellent, cuz with three kids under 6, I have little time to join in the hunt!

Thanks for the recos -- I think I'll start with Arctic Monkeys!

Start with their second disk, Favourite Worst Nightmare. It's much better than their first disk IMO.

bcwgobuffs
04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Start with their second disk, Favourite Worst Nightmare. It's much better than their first disk IMO.

Do tell! That is so opposite the normal trend IMO -- most bands have a sophore slump and those that survive to a third record often do their best work with record number three.

I should have been more clear earlier -- it is hard to find good rock or pop (not a rap or hip-hop fan) that seems authentic -- i.e. the band members write the music and play the instruments and sing authentically. Alas, that is why of newer bands I like the Killers, and can tolerate some ColdPlay though there are some U2 fans who think ColdPlay is a total U2 rip off, and you should check out a U2 fan board to see that rocket go off sometime.

Kings of Leon also appeals of late; and going back a few years, Social Distortion and the Samples remain part of my catalog.

Someone mentioned the publicitity machines -- while I don't disagree, I think that is more from the label looking to make a return on their investmetns.

Lastly, for those that care to fancy an interest -- U2's HTDAAB IMO was a record that sounded good early, and then faded -- compared to early listens, not near as much stands out today. So far, NLOTH seems to be playing out the opposite -- initial reactions were "eff it -- r u kidding?" -- and then after 2 or 3 listens it really sounds good -- especially the 7 mentioned.

Enuff of my long diatribe -- discuss!

ForeverAutumn
04-30-2009, 05:54 AM
Do tell! That is so opposite the normal trend IMO -- most bands have a sophore slump and those that survive to a third record often do their best work with record number three.

I should have been more clear earlier -- it is hard to find good rock or pop (not a rap or hip-hop fan) that seems authentic -- i.e. the band members write the music and play the instruments and sing authentically. Alas, that is why of newer bands I like the Killers, and can tolerate some ColdPlay though there are some U2 fans who think ColdPlay is a total U2 rip off, and you should check out a U2 fan board to see that rocket go off sometime.

Although I enjoyed the first Arctic Monkeys disk, I found that I tired of it quickly. Both the lyrics and the music were a little immature IMO. The second disk just felt like a little more thought went into it. I think that by the time the second disk rolled around they just had more experience under their belts and perhaps the benefit of some good advice along the way (at least that's how it sounds).

If you want a band that can write good hard rockin' pop tunes then definately check out The Trews. This is a local band for me and I've seen them perform several times both for free and at shows that I paid for. They are great musicians who can rock the house down live and have put out some damn good music with interesting lyrics and great hooks. The vocalist has a very unique voice that is easily recognizable. They just don't sound like anyone else to me. This is a band that should be much bigger than they are.

A great line-up for a show would bee The Trews and Kings of Leon together. Maybe opening for The Killers. That would be awesome! :yesnod: