Home Theater Set Up Help!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Set Up Help!!!!!!

SAMSUNG HUNG
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I have ps3, sony de-997 w/ out hdmi inputs or outputs, directv hd box and smasung pn50a450 plasma. I would like the best movie surround sound experience. 1) Should i hook my ps3 and hd box directly to the plasma using hdmi cables? or 2) Should i hook them up directly to my receiver using component cables? What are the pros and cons of each set up and how many optical cables do i need for each set up and where do they go. I have all the cables i need i just need to know the best all around set up using 5.1.
Im using Fluance Speakers (not here yet) great reviews psb subseries 1. I'm going to bi wire using wire from Accessories4less. 100ft of 4conductor $50.
3- monster thx 4ft cables $5 a pop
2- monster fiber opt. $4 a pop.

Go there to get your cables the best prices!!!!!!

L.J.
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Run the HDMI cables from PS3/Sat. directly to your display and optical cables from PS3/Sat. to your AVR for 5.1 sound.

SAMSUNG HUNG
04-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Any reason for no running the component thru the receiver for the video. Will I lose out on features of my receiver?

Thanks!

L.J.
04-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Any reason for no running the component thru the receiver for the video. Will I lose out on features of my receiver?

Thanks!

A direct connection to the display is always the best option and uses less cables. The only time I would run through the AVR is if I didn't have enough inputs on my display or was using HDMI for audio/video.

If you upgrade to an HDMI capable AVR, then there would be benefits to going through the AVR with your PS3 for HD audio.

bfalls
04-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Why not try hooking up the Direct TV HD box both ways and see for yourself? It should have both HDMI and component connections and you can switch between them. I believe you'll find the HDMI provides better video. The HDMI 1.3 connections are capable of providing Deep Color, True color and x v color.

One advantage of using HDMI to the display is you don't have to have the receiver on to enjoy a program. The HDMI provides both video and audio to the display for times when you don't need surround, or it's not available with the program. Going through the receiver via component will require an optical or coax connection for DD/DTS playback. If your display has a digital audio output, you can run it back to the receiver so whatever audio is provided to the display will also be available to the receiver.