Swish meets Britt Daniel from Spoon...again. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Swish meets Britt Daniel from Spoon...again.

Swish
04-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Some of you may recall that I got a pre-show backstage pass when I saw them in Philly last year, but this was even better. They appeared at the relatively small Chameleon Club in Lancaster, which surprised the heck out of me when it was announced, and I got a free ticket courtesy of radio station XPN through my son-in-law (he's a friend of an employee there). We got in line outside the club at about 6:30 and there were probably less than 30 people there, even though the doors opened at 7. I figured there would be a much bigger line, but a friend mentioned something like 'Yeah, but we're in Lancaster and it's Sunday night'. I wasn't buying it though, and I was right. The place was at capacity by showtime.

Anyway, son-in-law Jeremy, BFFL Bob, and good friends Eric and Linda were among the first to enter the club and decided not to stand in front of the stage. It's S.R.O. and a beeyotch to get back to the bar or to the bathrooms. We instead opted to watch from a small (10' wide by 18' long perhaps), slightly elevated area just behind the sound board area against the wall at stage left, and it was a great decision. We claimed our space in the front of it and had a great view and much easier access to the bar the entire night.

The opener was a band named 'The White Rabbits' from Philly, and they were pretty decent. My son-in-law knew the house sound man who was behind the board and we chatted with him. He explained that Spoon brought their own board and their guy would be manning it when they took the stage. Next thing you know, a guy who looked suspiciously like Britt Daniel entered the booth and was checking things out, then took out a tiny video camera and was recording The White Rabbits (see the picture below). Turns out it was Britt and that he is the producer for the their soon-to-be-released 'It's Frightening' on TBD Records. Decent band, really heavy on the percussion, and perhaps they'll be pretty decent in the long run.

He didn't really pay too much attention to use but at one point my friend Eric tapped him on the shoulder and said hello and mentioned that he and I met him and the rest of the band at the Electric Factory. We were disappointed he didn't remember us, but he thanked us for coming and shook our hands, and I'll never wash it again. He remained there for about 20 minutes or so and Bob got the idea of me taking a cell phone picture of him while he held his 2 fingers behind his head. Funny? Not really. Just goofy. Pic is below.

During the break, the sound guy for Spoon showed up and placed a hand-written track list on the board. I tried to get the attention of Jeremy's friend to ask if I could have that list at the end of the show, but somebody else asked Spoon's guy first, so I was s.o.o.l. Bummer. I did get him to hold it near me so I could get a picture of it, and you can see that below too.

I really liked them last year at the Electric Factory, but this show was even better. They seemed to rock harder and were more relaxed in this smaller setting. The sound was excellent and perfectly suited to Spoon's uncluttered arrangements. They seem to get more out of less than any band I know of, and the crowd was really crazy, following each tune with raucous applause. At one point Britt was asking what everyone was doing after the show, and he was completely serious. I was thinking 'It's Sunday night in Lancaster, and there are precious few places open after 11 PM to party, and I have to work tomorrow'. Decisions, decisions.

The band played about 19 tracks, including most of GA,GA,GA,GA,GA, and a couple new ones that will be on their next release. The sound man said they're heading to NY to work on it this week. After a nice 2 song encore, the lights were turned up and Britt took the mic and, pointing at his sound man, said "Find out what people are doing after the show'. Yeah, he was serious, but I had to get the heck out of there, so I guess I missed a chance to rub elbows with the band. I already had 3 pale ales and a Boddington's, so it was probably a good idea to call it a night. Dang.

3-LockBox
04-27-2009, 07:14 AM
sounds like a nice bromance ya got goin there

when will the next Spoon be comin out? After GaGaGa, they're an autobuy for me.

Swish
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
sounds like a nice bromance ya got goin there

when will the next Spoon be comin out? After GaGaGa, they're an autobuy for me.

...we may have to wait a while.

Spoon comes to town next week with no new album to plug. Frontman Britt Daniel says the band has been working as many as five new songs into its sets, but don’t expect a follow-up to 2007’s Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga anytime in the near future. Daniel says a 2009 release would require completing the album in the next two months. “It could happen,” he says. “But I don’t love its odds.” So it seemed like a good time to get Daniel to chat on a topic only tangentially related to Spoon (and one near and dear to my heart). Though the band’s early stuff was often compared to the Pixies, and later comparisons ranged from the Jam to Billy Joel (which Daniel doesn’t care much for), his first great musical love was the Bee Gees.

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2009, 08:04 AM
It sounds like Swish is the one who is GaGaGaGa. That's quite the man-crush you're carrying around Swishy (not that there's anything wrong with that). ;)

I can't believe that he didn't remember you. I'd have thought that you're pretty memorable. After all, how many gushing old geezer's does he meet at shows?

LOL. Seriously, I know how much you like this band and it sounds like you saw a great show. I've yet to see them so I'm a little jealous.

3-LockBox
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Though the band’s early stuff was often compared to the Pixies, and later comparisons ranged from the Jam to Billy Joel (which Daniel doesn’t care much for), his first great musical love was the Bee Gees.

uuhhhh...what?!?

Swish
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
uuhhhh...what?!?

...that stuff and played it, so it obviously rubbed off on him. I think he's broadened his horizon since then. Hey, you used to like Air Supply and Olivia Newton John, didn't you?

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
...that stuff and played it, so it obviously rubbed off on him. I think he's broadened his horizon since then. Hey, you used to like Air Supply and Olivia Newton John, didn't you?

What do you mean "used to"?

BWAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA!

:3:

bobsticks
04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
I can't believe that he didn't remember you. I'd have thought that you're pretty memorable. After all, how many gushing old geezer's does he meet at shows?

They do alot of charity work in food pantries, shelters, and sanitariums. After a while all old geezers start to look alike.

Swish
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
They do alot of charity work in food pantries, shelters, and sanitariums. After a while all old geezers start to look alike.

Losing to the much reviled Penguins was tough, even knowing the Flyers weren't good enough to win it all. I just wanted to see them put and end to their season. That stupid fight that Carcillo started changed everything. Now it's ABBP.