KEF KHT-3005 SE vs. floorstanding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : KEF KHT-3005 SE vs. floorstanding

nervusvagus
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking for a $1400-end speaker syste that will meet my electronic music listening needs. it would be ideal to have them suit into a 5.1 or 7.1 system as well for functionality.

I was looking to buy KEF KHT-3005 SE until I started reading reviews past Amazon.

It is my understanding that I can build a custom pieced system that is much better than KEF KHT-3005 SE. Maybe not compact, but better sounding. Could someone help?

My recent considerations are:

Speakers:

KEF iQ5 3-way speakers
or
two sets of Chorus 715 towers and a Chorus CC 700

Receiver
A Denon // Onkyo // Yamaha 7.1 receiver. Not much dif here I guess.

A subwoofer. I'm hoping I can use my gigantic JBL EON G2 Sub here. But I might be wrong.

Could someone guide me out of this customized confusion?

Auricauricle
04-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I would look carefully at the source of these interviews....Without knowing the sources you are referring to, I would think that KEF is a brand with some integrity and would think twice before releasing something without it meeting certain standards. At the same time, your comment about a custom pieced system is not without merit; just remember to set your ears and to use the Force, Luke!

How's that for informative? :)

blackraven
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I would build my own 5.1 system. You have many options with companies like KEF, B&W, Paradigm, PSB and Energy to name a few.

Consider a Pair of B&W 685's for front channels, 686's for the rear
and an LCR3 or LCR60 for the center channel.

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/bookshelf_speakers_s/33.htm

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/center_channel_speakers_s/36.htm

nervusvagus
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Auricauricle and blackraven thank you for the encouragement, I'm almost at the decision point of drifting away from kht-3005 se's. The B&W speakers seem to be great but they come out as a bit more expensive than kef kht-3005 se's and without a subwoofer. for which i'm thinking of getting a HSU research subwoofer VTF-2 for $350 .

any other suggestions which might be a better choice, maybe easier to find on ebay?

or would these be at least technically so much better that it's worth to sink in the extra cost.
I can find the KEF KHT 3005 se's for $1,249.00 (with a subwoofer which is the best part of the set apparently...) and the B&W setup comes to around $1480 (+350 for the VTF-2) and I can't seem to find a place to ship them online.

blackraven
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
B&W does not sell online. Neither does Paradigm.

Another option would be the NHT Classic Three's for fronts $650pr. Or the Classic two's for about $500pr.
NHT Zero's or Super Zero's for the rear. You can find these on line.

I would also consider these PSB's from www.saturdayaudio.com Scroll down the page.

PSB Image T55 or B25's for the front and the B15's for the rear or Alpha B1's. Image C40 for the center.

frenchmon
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Auricauricle and blackraven thank you for the encouragement, I'm almost at the decision point of drifting away from kht-3005 se's. The B&W speakers seem to be great but they come out as a bit more expensive than kef kht-3005 se's and without a subwoofer. for which i'm thinking of getting a HSU research subwoofer VTF-2 for $350 .

any other suggestions which might be a better choice, maybe easier to find on ebay?

or would these be at least technically so much better that it's worth to sink in the extra cost.
I can find the KEF KHT 3005 se's for $1,249.00 (with a subwoofer which is the best part of the set apparently...) and the B&W setup comes to around $1480 (+350 for the VTF-2) and I can't seem to find a place to ship them online.

Here. Look around, get a feel, read some of the reviews, and please read the part about the ten year warrenty, 30 day in home trial, the trade up policy, and the specks.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/home.aspx

frenchmon

Hosternokke
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Better late than never :) I bought the Kef 3005SE with Subwoofer this summer.
Check out my Kef 3005SE Review Kef KHT 3005SE Review | Kef Home Theatre (http://www.kefhometheatre.com/kef-kht-3005se-review/)