Need some opinions for HTPC features... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions for HTPC features...

karl k
04-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey guys... I'm back!
In my endeavor to create an HTPC, I have acquired some software that allows me to customize a dedicated desktop for HT purposes and I would like your input on what should be on that desktop. I already know what Windows Media Center has to offer in Vista but I found the user interface a bit cumbersome so now that I can make my own buttons and allocate what they do, I am finding that picking from the infinite choices before me is more difficult that I imagined.
I have transfered all of my CD's onto a seperate HDD as well as my videos to another seperate HDD. I am using Winamp for music purposes and will use WMP for video downloads and such. I will have a seperate button for playing DVD stuff and since I will have the ability to watch local TV so I should have a button that accesses that along with controls for the application. I want to be able to exit from this desktop to my "computer" desktop and back again to the HT desktop. I'm not much of a gamer but maybe it would be nice to have a button that accesses a gaming folder somewhere.
Basically, I'm asking what HT controls would you want to easily access from a dedicated desktop and how would you want those controls to function?
Give me some ideas!!!
Internet radio...
Internet TV...
Local weather...
Internet browsers/search engines...
Video and audio adjustment menu's...
Pictures Library?
Auxiliary/USB input access?