Top 10 movies I've never seen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 movies I've never seen

kexodusc
04-25-2009, 02:50 AM
I watch a pile of movies. A ton. I'm guessing 2-3 on a bad week. I've seen every Hellraiser, every Rocky, and a lot of other theatrical abortions, but for some reason, every now then and a big flick goes unwatched...

Here's my top 10 list of movies I keep meaning to finally see:

10) Forrest Gump - will it be as funny after the world has ruined it for me?
9) Edward Scissorhands - I kinda hate half of Johnny Depp's stuff...and most of Tim Burton's, so never saw it...
8) Blade Runner - I actually bought the DVD..still wrapped
7) The Fly (1986) - Saw the 1958 version...zzzzz
6) Lawrence of Arabia - can't think of anything clever to say, but just want to finally see it.
5) Unforgiven - I know...
4) The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - :frown2: I'm better than this.
3) The Usual Suspects - started watching it never finished cause then stupid girlfriend was bored...
2) A Clockwork Orange - This had better be good
1) Cool Hand Luke - I hate myself.

Are there any you've just been putting off for reasons unknown?

Auricauricle
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Still haven't seen Citizen Kane all the way through. Don't ask why; just one of those things. Nor have I seen Saving Private Ryan or Shindler's List. The first is reputed to be spectacularly and realistically gritty, the second, spectacular and realistic and gritty. I gotta be in the mood for both, and that may involve some fortification of the ol' defenses....

02audionoob
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I sat near the front of a stadium-seating theater to see Saving Private Ryan. It was a little overwhelming. An amazing movie.

elapsed
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm just starting The Lord of the Rings tonight for the first time... at the opening credits just now. Also just watched Fargo for the first time last week

Shocked you haven't seen A Clockword Orange, absolutely brilliant movie. Forrest Gump is also among my favorites. I'm a bit embarassed that I haven't seen Shindler's List either, I'll be sure to pick it up

cheers,
elapsed

Jack in Wilmington
04-26-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm with you Kex. I haven't seen Edward Sissorhands for the same reason. I don't know why I haven't seen Blade Runner.

I'm useing my NetFlix membership to get caught up on the things I've missed. 2/3rds the way through the Bourne trilogy. Have the last one to watch this afternoon.

Kex that is an amazing list for someone of your movie prowess.

Auricauricle
04-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Um, elapsed: You might wanna grab a pile of hankies while yer doin' The Hobbit Thing.

Worf101
04-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Never seen "classics". Well right off the top is one I've not seen.

1 "American Beauty" - Gotta be in the mood fer such "drama"

2. "Out of Africa" - Eh.. just never got around to it.

3. "Monsters Ball" - I've seen and lived through enough dysfunctional family life. I don't need to pay to see it.

4. "Paper Moon" - Movies with kids... pheh.

5. "Hannah and Her Sisters" - Meh.

6. "Annie Hall" - Double meh.

7. "Chinatown" - Whoops forgot that one.

8. "The China Syndrome" - Forgot that one too....

This is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
04-27-2009, 05:34 AM

3. "Monsters Ball" - I've seen and lived through enough dysfunctional family life. I don't need to pay to see it.

Da Worfster

Having seen all of those, my opinion is that the first two are worth seeing. The third is questionable, but I suppose that you might want to see it for the lovely Ms. Berry. You're probably better off for missing the last three. Although, Paper Moon does have a rainy Sunday afternoon time waster kind of charm to it.

If I started to list the classic movies that I've never seen, I'm afraid that poor Worf's brain might explode. I've still never seen any of the Godfather movies...and I know that's enough to make his head start hurting. So I'm going to refrain from going any further...for now.

Kam
04-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm just starting The Lord of the Rings tonight for the first time... at the opening credits just now.

so... it's been a day at least, are the credits over yet?

:D

i keeeeed i keeeeeed. no srsly that is one long movie.

Worf101
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Having seen all of those, my opinion is that the first two are worth seeing. The third is questionable, but I suppose that you might want to see it for the lovely Ms. Berry. You're probably better off for missing the last three. Although, Paper Moon does have a rainy Sunday afternoon time waster kind of charm to it.

If I started to list the classic movies that I've never seen, I'm afraid that poor Worf's brain might explode. I've still never seen any of the Godfather movies...and I know that's enough to make his head start hurting. So I'm going to refrain from going any further...for now.
Someday my northern friend, you're gonna finish GodFather II and you're gonna be sitting in your nook weeping into your coffee that you missed such cinematic magnificence so long....

:hand:

Da Worfster

OzzieAudiophile
04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
10. American Beauty
09. Oceans 11 (seen neither versions)
08. Oceans 12
07. Oceans 13
06. Titanic (I brought it more than 10 years ago for $1 or something, had an opportunity
to watch it, but don't have a vcr now :P , but someone told me the ship went down
DOH... what a suprise)
(about 5% of my dvd collection is still in it's plastic packaging, when hell freezes over one day, I may end up watching them all :P )
05. Schindler's List
04. Momento (been wanting to watch that for years)
03. 88 minutes (big Al Pacino fan)
02. Rightous Kill (OMG Robert DeNero is in it with Al Pacino on this one)
01. The new Star Trek film (hurry up to here already)

Troy
04-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Another thread where people seem to be flaunting their lack of knowledge about the subject of this message board. I don't get it.

Worf, how can you have an opinion on movies you've never seen? I suspect you'd like Paper Moon. It sounds like it's not at ALL what you think it is.

Worf101
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Another thread where people seem to be flaunting their lack of knowledge about the subject of this message board. I don't get it.

Worf, how can you have an opinion on movies you've never seen? I suspect you'd like Paper Moon. It sounds like it's not at ALL what you think it is.
I am just NOT a Tatum O'Neil fan. You can know an actors work and avoid it. I try to avoid movies with "cute" kids in them. I've NEVER seen "Home Alone" 1, 2 or 3. I've simply no desire to do it. If it seemed like I was bad mouthing the movie sans viewing (something I rail against) forgive me. I was stating my abhorence of films with "cute kids" in general not hers in particular.

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I was so hoping nobody would mention Chris Columbus or his movies!

Anybody want my wine? I just can't drink it, now!

Troy
04-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I am just NOT a Tatum O'Neil fan. You can know an actors work and avoid it. I try to avoid movies with "cute" kids in them. I've NEVER seen "Home Alone" 1, 2 or 3. I've simply no desire to do it. If it seemed like I was bad mouthing the movie sans viewing (something I rail against) forgive me. I was stating my abhorence of films with "cute kids" in general not hers in particular.

Da Worfster

Thing is, she's decidedly un-cute in this. She's a foul-mouthed monster. It's quite a funny movie, actually. Like I said, it's probably not be what you think it is, especially if you're comparing to to the awful Home Alone movies. PM is a grifter flick set in the 1930s and owes more to Bonnie and Clyde than it does to Home Alone!

Jack in Wilmington
04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I was so hoping nobody would mention Chris Columbus or his movies!

Anybody want my wine? I just can't drink it, now!

And they shouldn't. He has done some excellent movies

The first three Harry Potter movies
Mrs Doubtfire
Fantastic Four
Night At The Museum

That's just off the top of my head.

ForeverAutumn
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Thing is, she's decidedly un-cute in this. She's a foul-mouthed monster. It's quite a funny movie, actually. Like I said, it's probably not be what you think it is, especially if you're comparing to to the awful Home Alone movies. PM is a grifter flick set in the 1930s and owes more to Bonnie and Clyde than it does to Home Alone!

You beat me to it. I was going to compare it to Bonnie and Clyde. I LOVED Bonnie and Clyde! And now I want to see Paper Moon again. I don't remember it being such a great movie other than I loved the time piece that it was. But it's been about 20 years since I last saw it and it's probably worth seeing again.

canuckle
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
kexodusc's top 10 list of movies he keeps meaning to finally see:

10) Forrest Gump - I'd rather walk in on my father sodomizing my best friend than suffer through this again. Amongst my least favourite/most overrated movies ever. An all-day Titanic marathon would be preferable.

9) Edward Scissorhands - I love Depp but loathe Burton which creates an interesting number of conflicts in the movie-universe. This one falls into the 'don't bother' category.

8) Blade Runner - Yes, you do need to watch and enjoy this one :) It's a love-it or hate-it kinda thing though.

7) The Fly (1986) - Loved the original. Enjoyed this remake. Great late-night popcorn-flick.

6) Lawrence of Arabia - Sometimes I need help falling asleep. This helps.

5) Unforgiven - Yikes.

4) The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Double-yikes.

3) The Usual Suspects - your stupid girlfriend has caused you to miss out on something very delightful. This is the the definite 'must see' one in your list.

2) A Clockwork Orange - A very different film. That's a good thing. But for many, it's just too different.

1) Cool Hand Luke - I haven't seen this one either. We differ in that I've never had a drive to change that ;)

bobsticks
04-30-2009, 03:56 AM

7. "Chinatown" - Whoops forgot that one.

8. "The China Syndrome" - Forgot that one too....

Da Worfster

Yup yup...never seen and have no desire to see any of those listed...well, mebbe with the lovely Ms. Berry. Kex touched on it; I'm sure I have two dozen of "the classics" or the critically acclaimed under wraps despite having viewed every atavastic endeavor south of "Zombie Strippers"...

Auricauricle
04-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Friend o' mine got me to sit through The Hours. Don't which was more unbearable: the movie or the Philip Glass soundtrack....

3-LockBox
04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
There may be more than a few popular, critically lauded movies I haven't seen, but I'm not much of a movie buff. If the urge strikes me and I got the time, I'll watch a flick. I've seen most of what's been mentioned, and the few I haven't seen I haven't been compelled to watch. I never watch a movie cuz I think I should; I watch it if I feel like it.

Smokey
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
4) The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Double-yikes.

You sir are a sick puppy :D

How can you say double yikes to one of Western's greatest gun showdown in movie history.

http://www.sorvarangerfilmklubb.com/graphics/movies/2004/var/good_bad_ugly_1.jpg

canuckle
05-01-2009, 10:49 PM
You sir are a sick puppy :D

How can you say double yikes to one of Western's greatest gun showdown in movie history.

Hehe... well, I can't stand Clint Eastwood at the best of times and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly was definitely not the best of times! ;) I'm not a western kind of movie-watcher either which doesn't help. And it was my best-friend-growing-up's favourite movie ever so I had to suffer through it more times than I can count. And believe me, I was counting... sheep mostly, hoping that I could just fall asleep and make it all stop!

atomicAdam
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Hehe... well, I can't stand Clint Eastwood at the best of times and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly was definitely not the best of times! ;) I'm not a western kind of movie-watcher either which doesn't help. And it was my best-friend-growing-up's favorite movie ever so I had to suffer through it more times than I can count. And believe me, I was counting... sheep mostly, hoping that I could just fall asleep and make it all stop!

I would bag on you for your opinion of a classic fantastic film, but it appears you've seen it more than once, so you must stay true to your opinion.

this is a great thread. there are so many movies i'd like to see that i haven't, and so many books to read as well. can't believe it but i'm reading 1984 right now. somehow missed that assignment in high school.

keep the list coming please, my netflix queue is starting to fill up again!!!

-adam

Troy
05-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I went to the imdb to see their top 250 list. While the order of titles is open to conjecture ("Harold and Maude" is a top 5, not 244!) and there's plenty of movies that I though were crap (freekin Slumdog at 55, wtf?), it seems pretty comprehensive, overall:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

The list might be 25% foreign films. I've seen about a quarter of these. I might like to see some of the ones on that list, but I don't even know many of the titles. I just can't watch many subtitled movies. Having to read a movie puts a strike against it for me, right out of the box.

But I had to get all the way to 82 before I came upon an english speaking movie that I haven't seen: "The Wrestler" and a netflix copy finally arrived yesterday after a "Long Wait." Seems awfully high to me, but we'll see.

The next is "Witness for the Prosecution" at 128, "The Killing" at 152, "The Oxbow Incident" at 192, "The Sweet Smell of Success" at 223 and I just put 'em all in the queue.

Haven't seen the silent film "Sunrise" at 176, but I've seen enough silents to know I'd rather watch subtitles.

I've seen the other 200, or so, english speaking movies in the list. Now what do I do?

3-LockBox
05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
^ I just saw The Wrestler and found it to be a good flick, though it got a tad over hyped IMO. Everyone talked about how impressive Rourke looked in this film for his age...

...without even the slightest mention of 44 year old Marisa Tomei :arf:

wow, Mickey Rourke has sure had some 'compelling' scenes with a couple of the Different World TV show alum. :ihih:

kexodusc
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm gonna try and knock a few off my list. I hate it whenever these movies come up and I can't really comment much about them. There's a few others some of you mentioned I'll be sure to check out (which was what I was hoping for when I started this thread).

Auricauricle
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM
My wife just tried watching The Changeling.... After a while, she turned it off, saying the movie was just too awful. Not the acting--mind you, for Jolie is superb, she said--but the content. Having not seen it, I can understand: some things are just too rough to watch. Reality is a hard enough trip to take. Why f___ up fantasy, too?

Jack in Wilmington
05-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Like a lot of you guys have mentioned, we've been using our NetFlix subscription to get caught up on things we should have seen and haven't. We just finished the Bourne trilogy and was wondering, has anyone heard anything about a possible fourth movie? Next up is The Patriot. Followed by Oceans 11,12, and 13, which I saw that someone else mentioned also.

Groundbeef
05-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Like a lot of you guys have mentioned, we've been using our NetFlix subscription to get caught up on things we should have seen and haven't. We just finished the Bourne trilogy and was wondering, has anyone heard anything about a possible fourth movie? Next up is The Patriot. Followed by Oceans 11,12, and 13, which I saw that someone else mentioned also.

Skip 12 and 13. Total waste of film. Ocean's 11 was ok.

Gerald Cooperberg
05-24-2009, 08:29 PM
The next is "Witness for the Prosecution" at 128, "The Killing" at 152, "The Oxbow Incident" at 192, "The Sweet Smell of Success" at 223 and I just put 'em all in the queue.

I love The Killing. Great early Kubrick noir with some truly scenery-devouring character acting.

I tried to catch up with two that I haven't seen yet this weekend with Godard's Contempt and Jim Jarmusch's Stranger Than Paradise but got interrupted during the former and fell asleep (from exhaustion, not boredom) during the latter. I'll probably come back to 'em sometime this summer.

Sometimes I watch 50 or 100 mediocre movies that come out in any given year but somehow never get around to the one I "know I'll love"... a few years ago it was that way with A History of Violence, although I did watch it eventually on DVD. From the last few years, it's definitely 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days and Synecdoche, New York. I don't know why. I've been told they're great. I bet I'll like them. I just haven't watched them.

And of course, how can any one person truly watch all of the movies you're "supposed" to watch? My library queue is full of titles that I feel vaguely guilty for not having seen, from Shock Corridor to Black Orpheus to Crank to Rockers to The Whole Shootin' Match to Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, but I'm sure I could knock out all of those and have a hundred more on the other side that'd make someone else cry "you've never SEEN that?"

-Coop

Troy
05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Oh stop, I'm not that angry. I just still maintain that bragging about not watching movies even though they are considered classics just makes one appear . . . stupid.

Watched The Killing and yeah, real hard boiled. Not the movie I thought it was going to be. I liked it quite a bit. Movies where Jim Thompson is involved with the writing are pretty much ALWAYS good.

The Wrestler was pretty good, but I wouldn't dream of putting it in my own top 250. Tomei was great, but the whole thing was more than a little depressing.