Party Speakers (outdoor) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Party Speakers (outdoor)

sigmarus
04-23-2009, 03:05 PM
hello everyone, im recently new to these forums, although i have always loved music and stereo systems.

i am wondering if there is a specific brand or type of speakers that i should get for indoor or outdoor parties. the music needs to be LOUD! im talking about the sound covering all three of my acres (the neighbors don't mind) :P im on a budget of around 500 dollars.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Kevio
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
You need a PA system not a stereo system. If you bought a pair of powered loudspeakers, you could wire them to the preamp output of your main system. $500 is not much to go on but there are a few options here (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/live-sound/pa-cabinets) that might work.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd look around for some Pro sound speakers. They may be expensive unless found a deal used but my preference is Electro Voice, the carpeted box 15" 2-way. If I remember they are something like 115 dB efficient give or take. Even a same configuration in a Yamaha or Peavey might do the job for less. EV also had these speakers that were a large box on the bottom with a horn loaded 18" woofer, poles went up from there to hold another horisontal box with a 10 or 12" 2-way. These things were about 8 feet tall and rocked. The top box could be tilted up or down aiming them at the intended victim, I mean audience. Put a monster Crown amp under something like this and you will need at least 3 acres. Another cool thing about Pro speakers is most can be daisy chained for better coverage.

Worf101
04-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Go to your locak Craigslist. There you will find 12 to 20 guys who thought they could make a living in the DJ business. They couldn't. Now they're selling their gear, from the sublime to the ridiculous, for pennies on the dollar. Go get you some speaks and a decent power amp. Hook up your Ipod or whatever and have at it.

Da Worfster

Mr Peabody
04-24-2009, 05:21 AM
On Craigslist it helps to know about what something costs, around here people seem to think they can get their retail price back. There are good deals though I just have to laugh at some of them because of the asking price.

Worf101
04-27-2009, 04:27 AM
On Craigslist it helps to know about what something costs, around here people seem to think they can get their retail price back. There are good deals though I just have to laugh at some of them because of the asking price.
In the days BEFORE the internet you could always count on some rube to pay you what you think your junk's worth... not now. Still the saddest thing is when some poor slob tries to unload his "white van" speakers for a profit.

Da Worfster

hermanv
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Weather is a issue. Cheap speakers will not be waterproof nor will "good" speakers. Plan on bringing them indoors after each party or live with mediocre sound.

Mr Peabody
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
How true, do you want to rock or do you want the speakers that look like a rock :)