Best speaker deal from these 7? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best speaker deal from these 7?

guitarguy
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Obviously I'm a newbie, and I'm looking at picking up speakers used to go with a lower mid-level a/v receiver (either a Yamaha V663 or Denon 1909). As my moniker would suggest, I'm mostly into guitar music, from classical (10%) to acoustic blues (20%) to electric blues (20%) to classic rock standards (25%) to heavier rock (25%). I'm no audiophile, and will probably use my ipod (Apple lossless files at least LOL) through an integrated dock (which is why I am thinking Yamaha and Denon as I have heard good things about their docks) about 50% of the time or more just because of convenience.

HT is really an afterthought for me right now anyway. Of course having mains that would work terribly in a HT setup would be an influence on my decision. Volume is not a afterthought--I'm an electric guitar player and like to push a bit of air. Nothing overwhelming, but whisper quiet reproduction is not incredibly important.

Anyway, these deals have presented themselves to me and I'm wondering which would be the best "deal" and best "match" for what I'm needing:

Mirage OM 9 pair - $500
Mirage Omni 260 pair / Omni CC / OM-200 sub setup - $450
Dahlquist DQ-12 (rebuilt woofers) - $550
Snell JII pair - $450
Dali Ikon 6 pair - $500
Paradigm 7 v.3 pair - $300
Klipsch Forte II pair - $500

I appreciate the input guys. Unfortunately, buying used I cannot hear these for myself so I appreciate the expertise!

Mr Peabody
04-23-2009, 05:12 AM
I have not heard all of those brands but of the ones I have my first choice would be Paradigm which sounds good and efficient enough to get pretty loud with not much effort.

The Klipsch some like but I'm not a fan but these will play the loudest hands down. For Rock you may like them. From what you describe they may be the ticket. My opposition to them is mainly audiophile stuff like imaging, disspersion and tonal balance.

bfalls
04-23-2009, 05:50 AM
I agree with Mr P about the Paradigms, but not about the Fortes. The Fortes are the "big brother" of the Kg4s I've owned for about 20 years. I'm not a fan of the newer Klipsch' but I will never part with my Kg4s. I've gone as far as purchasing spare driver should I need to replace one.

The Fortes go a little lower than the 4s and are more efficient, so any reasonably powered amp or receiver can drive them easily. I've seen written complaints about horns sounding "strident", but have never experienced it this this series of speakers. The same series includes the Heresys, Chorus, Quartet, La Scalas., all well respected speakers.

I haven't heard the Snells, but they have a very good reputation. The Mirage 9s are also well respected, but I'm not a fan of the Omnis. I put them in the same category as Bose. Only in respect to their dispersion patterns. I can't see where accurate imaging can be had bouncing sound off surrounding boundaries. Maybe in a large or open area they would sound OK, but not the best for HT or serious listening. I have no experience with the Dalis.

In the group I think the Paradigm and Klipsch are your best bets, but let your ears make the final decision.

blackraven
04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I vote for the DAli's Here's a review http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706dali/

Mr Peabody
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
I heard a pair of Snell but I don't remember the model but they sounded even better than the Paradigm. But we have to keep in mind what he plans to drive these with and his listening habits. I think efficiency will need to be a top priority. The Dali's at 91.5 dB could work as well as the Paradigm. Most of the group are nice speakers that would probably benefit from a receiver with a bit of current like an Onkyo.

guitarguy
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am seriously considering picking up the Paradigms based on everyone's recommendations. It doesn't hurt that they are a bit cheaper, either LOL. I've kind of narrowed it to them and the Dalis, which to be honest, I'm thinking might be more speaker than I would appreciate.
The Klipsch seem to have a pretty cool "old school" vibe that would probably sound great in a stereo application, but they are HUGE and I'm thinking they may not be the best choice if I ever decide to integrate to a HT setup. The Snells have the great reputation, but I'm thinking floorstanding would be a better choice given my musical preference and volume needs. Not to mention I'm in no hurry to worry about subs...
The receiver thing just confuses the crap out of me. I think I found a great deal on the Yamaha I mentioned ($300 new) and it seems to be fairly well regarded as a lower mid-level (<$600) unit. It also has the best iPod interface I've read and heard about which I will probably use quite a bit. I hope I'm not making a mistake here, but hell, it's $300 ($400 with the dock)...
Anyway, I hope some more folks chime in--I'm in no hurry (moving next week) but I may have to bite on these deals just so I don't miss them.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. If you can get a 663 for $300.00 you should jump on it, they were around $500.00. It's got a lot of nice features, most of which is full preamp outputs which will allow you to add a big amp at some point to drive the mains if you wished. If you live close to a city for FM reception you will love the HD radio. And like you said it's Ipod/USB/Bluetooth.

blackraven
04-23-2009, 07:07 PM
I think that you would appreciate the warmer sound of the Dali's over the more bright Paradigm sound with the type of music you like. I havent heard that model of Paradigm, but I have heard the Studio and Signature series and they leaned toward the bright side of neutral.