Surround Modes for a Yamaha RX-V665? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround Modes for a Yamaha RX-V665?

rivrbyte
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Okie-Dokie, all up and running...

Thank you for all who contributed to my questions on setting up my HT system. I ended up running 16 gauge to the fronts and center, and 14 gauge to the rear and surround back (center-rear channel) and so far, it sounds good.One HDMI from Display (in-wall) to the AVR,and everytthing into that. The only bummer is I have three different remotes..Turn on/off TV with Samsung,2) turn off Time-Warner cable with TW remote,and 3) push the Master power OFF on the top right side, usually twice to shut off. As far as programming,I inputted the codes for each component,VCR,CD/DVD player,Time Warner cable and Samsung TV,so is it still normal to use three different remotes? No Biggie.

All I have to do is to read more on my RX-V665 Yamaha receiver as far as the surround modes go. Basically, I'm guessing I won't get all the good stuff as far as effect features from this AVR until I watch a BD movie?

On watching regular TV broadcasts, I am using the DOLBY DIGITAL setting. From there I can use the 7 channel,or 2 channel Stereo setting, or the Straight Enhancer. There are other buttons on the remote like the PURE DIRECT,which when I press the SURROUND DECODER, it displays"NOT AVAILABLE".

In order to use the other features on this AVR, I'm guessing I can get more effects out of this AVR by watching a 5.1 broadcast,or a Bluray, then and only then, will I see features like the Dolby TrueHD,DTS-HD Master Audio,Kick in. I have not checked out the Neural surround with the music feature.

Not a big deal, but is this normal? When I turn UP the volume on the remote,the sound level on the AVR displays that it going minus(-) down,not up. ie: -20.00db,instead of +20.00db

This receiver is running hotter than I thought, it is in it's own cabinet shelf, with the window open all the time. I will consider buying an "Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler" for on top of the receiver to help cool it...if they really work.

PS. My speakers are from HSU Research Sound in Orange County, Ca. They are amazing!
Thanks again for all who chimed in to help me. :23:

Mr Peabody
04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Best sound modes, any old movie can sometimes be mono or 2.0

Bluray will give you: Dolby Tru HD, DTS-MA or you may run across Uncompressed multichannel PCM

DVD: Dolby Digital 5.1 or better and DTS

Time Warner will depend on the broadcast but most HD channels especially the premium movie channels should be in 5.1.

Pure Direct: should be just for 2 channel music. If it's what I'm thinking it's the setting that will bypass all the internal decoding circuits. This would only be helpful if you had a good CD player and was using the analog out. This is why not available when watching a movie.

7 channel stereo use as you see fit. Some people don't understand surround sound and prefer to use this setting. I hear stuff like "I don't hear the rears" or "everything is coming from the center". The sound from the speakers should mimmick the action on the screen. There's going to be a difference between Pearl Harbor being bombed and a simple conversation between two actors on center screen. It can be useful if running the second zone and playing music for a party or something though.

Have fun.

pixelthis
04-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro logic2 will make any stereo source sound like 5.1.
DTS has the same thing basically.
Prologic music is the only "effect" you should think about using for music, all of the
"effects" (jazz, niteclub, etc) are notoriously bad, Yamahas are better than most, which means less bad.
As for the volume , there is something in the setup that allows you to change this.
There are basically two modes, one goes towards a reference level, which is why its a minus number that keeps decreasing.
The other setting is linear, goes from small number to a larger depending on where the vollume is set, most are more familar with this.
most modern receivers give you a choice of the two.
Before you hit the "reference" level you will probably go deaf, BTW.:1:

Mr Peabody
04-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Good catch Pix, Pro Logic 2 would be a good tool for 2.0 broadcasts or watching the VCR.

pixelthis
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Good catch Pix, Pro Logic 2 would be a good tool for 2.0 broadcasts or watching the VCR.

THANKS. Its my default, really. Quite amazing what they did with it, it takes information out of two channels and makes them seem like 5.1 material.
Works best with pro-logic encoded material of course, but also works fine with "plain"
old two channel.:1: