HT system on a budget (in Canada!) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT system on a budget (in Canada!)

Unregistered
04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey guys

Been reading here for a while, thought I'd post at last!

I'm looking to buy my first HD TV very very soon (Sony 52W4100) for my apartment and was looking to get a HT setup. Problem is... I'm on a pretty limited budget!

My needs aren't that great - HDTV, movies, hockey games and some PS3 gaming... all in a pretty small living room (part of a 1 bedroom apartment)

I'm looking to spend no more than $500-600 really... less would of course be better, given that the room is pretty small and I don't need anything amazing. And... need to be able to get it here in Canada!

Any advice from you experts? :D

natronforever
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
If I had $600 to spend, I'd spend it on $400 AV receiver, like those made by Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha and the such, with HDMI and decoding for DolbyHD and DTSMA audio. That way, you could take advantage of the high resolution audio on BluRay discs with your PS3. Then, I'd spend the remaining $200 dollars (or more if you can spare it), on a nice pair of bookshelf speakers. You'd be surprised how good a two channel audio system can sound. Then, down the line as you save more money, you purchase a sub, surround speakers, then finally a center channel speaker. Except the sub, the other speakers should hopefully be a similar make and model number as your main left and right channel speakers (often called timbre matched speakers).

The patient approach takes time, certainly, but in the long run you'll be happy you bought nicer equipment. I know I didn't recommend much in the way of specific speakers. Rather, I thought I'd share the approach I would personally take to meet your needs.

You may not prefer to take the approach I suggested, which is fine. However, the first thing you need to decide is how to go about your purchasing. Purchase everything all-at-once at the cost of quality, or purchase everything over time, at the cost of immediate ownership. Once you make that choice, we'll more easily be able to make specific recommendations.

Oh, and one more thing. Search as much as you can for used audio gear, particularly speakers. Speakers, if well cared for, can age very gracefully, and buying used speakers will often help you find considerable bang for your buck.

Good luck!

bfalls
04-21-2009, 06:07 AM
I agree. Get a good AV receiver (Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Sony, Marantz) and some inexpensive speakers. I would recommend some PSB Alphas/Intros, Energy (checkout www.audioadvisor.com), older Klipsch bookshelf 1.2s/B2 (6" woofers) 1.3/B3s (8" woofer), or Paradigm Atoms/Minis/Titans.

Stay with a manufacturer who builds speakers. Ebay is a great source for used speakers. Over the years I've gotten deals, such as a pair of B&W LM1s for $150, a pair of PSB Intro for $45, Klipsch KLF 1.2 and 1.3 $140/pr and two pairs of Scandyna Minipods for $250/pair. As long as you're not afraid to ask questions and they supply pictures, you can get some great deals.

f0rge
04-21-2009, 06:43 AM
i'm with the others, spend as much as you can on a current receiver.

for speakers i'd get a decent set of used bookshelves from a company like paradigm, like some mini monitors which will sounds great even without a sub.

check out www.canuckaudiomart.com for some local used speakers.

Unregistered
04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
That does sound like good advice!

Any specific recommendations on a receiver that I can get in Canada (I wouldn't mind a US store that ships here!) that is a good starting point?

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to home theatres and don't know where to start, save for looking for brands that have been mentioned thus far!

f0rge
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
where are you located? GTA?

a place i deal with usually for new gear is Trutone Electronics at dundas/tomken.

bfalls
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I always recommend what I consider to be the top three mid-fi brands Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo. All three have decent features, can drive respectable loads, are reasonably priced and sound good. Although I wouldn't count out Pioneer, Marantz, Sony, or Harmon Kardon. They just seem a little weaker in the power supplies respectively.

Anywhere within the 75/100+ watt range should be OK to drive whatever speakers you find. More efficient speakers (> 84db) require less power. If you intend to "rock the house", higher impedance speakers 6ohm/8ohm are better. I wouldn't go any lower than 100W myself, but that's just a preference. If you go >100W you're less likely to blow the amp or speakers.

I wouldn't purchase used here. I would also go with a receiver with a minimum of 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs unless you have several already on you HD display. It provides a little more convenience switching from the receiver than the display.

blackraven
04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
If your on a tight budget and want full HDMI audio and visual, I would go with this Sony STR-DG720 Receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDG720-Audio-Video-Receiver/dp/B0015HKR46/ref=sr_1_1/178-3880085-3389259?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240359384&sr=1-1

Then I would look at the Energy Take 5.1 system. Also look the energy C-100's and C-50's as well as the PSB Alpha B1's and an Energy ESW sub.

I disagree with buying a higher end AVR with cheap speakers unless you plan on upgrading your speakers later. In the long run, it will be cheaper to upgrade your receiver, especially as future receivers will probably offer newer functions.

RoadRunner6
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I think an excellent TV with just a mediocre sound system at best is a sad story. You will be getting only half of the thrill. Great sound is 50% of home theater.

So forgive me if I pull an end run on you. In my opinion the Sony Bravia LCD TV's are the best LCD's on the market. The only problem is they are unecessarily expensive. There is a better way to go (I not trying to start a big argument here). Go with a 50" or 54" Panasonic plasma instead. You can find a 50" Panny 1080p plasma for probably $600-$700 less than the Sony KDL 52W4100. The Panansonic plasma will be superior in just about every important picture aspect; color accuracy, natural film-like picture quality, black level, lack of motion blur, off angle viewing and will have plenty of brightness and contrast. Burn-in is a thing of the past. I own a 4 month old Panny 50" 1080p plasma and it is superb and also excellent on standard definition TV and DVD.

The extra money you save will now give you about $1000-$1200 to buy a very good audio 5.1 system still within your total budget.

Not wanting to throw a wrench in the works, just some food for thought.

RR6

natronforever
04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
I disagree with buying a higher end AVR with cheap speakers unless you plan on upgrading your speakers later. In the long run, it will be cheaper to upgrade your receiver, especially as future receivers will probably offer newer functions.

I agree, raven. The speakers have potential to be the most enduring element of a person's home theater. However, I'm not sure how else to recommend spending his $600. I'm not sure he'll find an AV receiver for less than $400 with HDMI and decoding for high resolution audio. I suppose if he were to "settle" for a receiver that only decoded standard DD and DTS soundtracks, he could conceivably spend less money on the receiver, freeing up even more money for the speakers. What do you think?

blackraven
04-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Nantron, that Sony STR-DG720 has HDMI audio capability. But I don't think it can do TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. He would have to jump up to the STR-DG820 for that at a cost of $399 U.S.

blackraven
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Actually, here's a link for the STR-DG820 for $268, no tax and free shipping. http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8633697&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8633697

Unregistered
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
How well would the STR-DG820 and the Energy ACT 6 6 pc. Theater Speaker System go together? Doesn't seem too expensive a setup!

bfalls
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats on the 52W4100 LCD. Our media test center here at Sony has one and it looks great. I have the 52XBR5.

The STR-DG820 is a good choice, but doesn't have any of the current HD formats. It's been discontinued and replaced by the STR-DH800. It has similar power and other features, but also has True-HD, DTS-HD and Dolby Digital+. Since you already have the best Blu-ray player available (PS3) it's almost a no-brainer to go with a receiver with these capabilities. A quick search online found prices in the $370 range. I feel it's worth the extra $110+.

I wasn't really a Sony receiver fan in the past, but came across a great deal on their STR-D5300ES receiver. The Sony's have more than their fair share of bells and whistles, generous number of HD inputs and easy to understand menu system. I also have Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo receivers. Since installing the Sony, I rarely use the other three.

For a small room the Energy is a good starter system. It will serve well until the "upgrade bug" bites and it will. It the nature of the hobby we're in "One Bitten, Twice BUY".

blackraven
04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
The Sony STR-DG820 does decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, I'm looking at its features and specs in a crutchfield catalog as I speak. If you can find one for a good price I would go for it!

One thing you may want to consider is going with a 3.1 set up now with better speakers. You can always add the rear speakers later.

Consider this- Energy C-100's for the front channels http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542789938/energy-c100

This Energy center http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542789938/energy-c100

This Energy sub http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=20160800117

Unregistered
04-23-2009, 11:44 PM
To update everyone here who has been of terrific help: I've decided on the 46" Samsung 46A550 instead, realizing that 52" may be a little bit too much, and deciding on saving the extra cash for a nice setup!

The STR-DG820 or STR-DH800 does sound like a very interesting option, but I can't seem to find anywhere that has either in stock and will ship to Canada! Would you guys know of any places, or have any other recommendations for receivers around the sub-$400 price range?

Thanks once again to all you experts!! Much much appreciated!

bfalls
04-24-2009, 06:49 AM
The Sony STR-DG820 does decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, I'm looking at its features and specs in a crutchfield catalog as I speak. If you can find one for a good price I would go for it!

One thing you may want to consider is going with a 3.1 set up now with better speakers. You can always add the rear speakers later.

Consider this- Energy C-100's for the front channels http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542789938/energy-c100

This Energy center http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542789938/energy-c100

This Energy sub http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=20160800117

I'm looking at the STR-DG820 manual online at Sony.com as I speak and it doesn't list the HD audio formats.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/STRDG820_mksp.pdf

If looking only at specs. I'm inclined to believe the Sony manual provided with the receiver over Crutchfield, but anyone can make a mistake. The online manual lists these formats in the audio section.

dts® Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Digital Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Digital EX Decoding: Yes
dts®-ES Decoding: Yes
dts® 96/24 Decoding: Yes
dts® NEO:6 Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Pro Logic® Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Pro Logic® II Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Pro Logic® IIX Decoding: Yes
Digital Cinema Sound™ Technology: Yes

I don't see:
Dolby Digital +
DTS-HD/DTS-MA
True-HD

I haven't seen or listened to the receiver myself. If someone has the receiver and can verify the formats are available, I'll stand corrected. It does list that is supports x.v.Color™ and Deep Color technology and accepts 1080/60p and 24p video signals via HDMI™, so you would think it would have the HD audio formats. I just know what I read. Take a look yourself.

blackraven
04-24-2009, 04:06 PM
But here's a few other reviews of the 820 supporting my claim

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dg820/4505-6466_7-32868569.html

http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-STR-DG820/Specs/

Whats the deal with the reviews ?

I believe the Sony Manual!

blackraven
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Here's a discussion on another forum concerning this problem. It doesnt really settle the issue with the 820. There's a picture of the 820 with the words True Dolby HD and DTS-HD on it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=62001

bfalls
04-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Here's a discussion on another forum concerning this problem. It doesnt really settle the issue with the 820. There's a picture of the 820 with the words True Dolby HD and DTS-HD on it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=62001

It appears Sony was remiss in not including the HD formats in their online manual. As I stated earlier, it would make sense considereing it has the higher level video features available only available via HDMI 1.3. Either receiver should be adequate for his purposes. He just needs to decide if the savings are worth purchasing a discontinued model. I purchased the STR-DA5300ES when discontinued for a 50% saving and couldn't be happier.

I will add that Sony's support is excellent. I found a firmware problem with my receiver. Sony had a replacement with prepaid return shipping on my doorstep in two days. No questions asked.

Unregistered
04-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I cannot for the life of me find any store that would ship either the DG820 nor the DH800 (when released) to Canada... and Canadian prices are ridiculously higher it seems...

blackraven
04-26-2009, 03:24 PM
You should look for a used AVR.