Shure V15 Type II - still good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shure V15 Type II - still good?

02audionoob
04-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I've got a Shure V15 Type II, a oldie-but-goodie, from the 1960s. Any thoughts on how its performance would be affected by the years or how it stacks up against today's Shure offerings like the M97XE? It hasn't been in use for decades and I don't have a stylus for it. I see the stylus from the M97XE doesn't fit on the V15. Do you suppose it's worth getting a stylus for this cartridge and putting it back in action? Or better left to vintage fans?

emaidel
04-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I just posted a comment on the "Rave Recordings" forum in which I mentioned how good the Shure V/15 Type II was in handling sibilance problems other cartridges couldn't.

Over the years, the Type II was easily eclipsed by many others, and my suggestion for you would be to look for a different model altogether, rather than trying to salvage a once good product that just doesn't stand up to many other models since. The Type III, IV and V run rings around the II, as does the Stanton 681EEE, 881-S, the ADC XLM (the original), and the Pickering XSV-3000 - all oldies but goodies, and all better than the Shure V/15 Type II.

daveobieone
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Of some currently available cartridges, I'd probably vote for the 681eee over the M97. I have both, and prefer the sound of the Stantons over the Shure...which is a little too mellow sounding for me.

Not much currently available will out track the M97 however...as long as you get a good one. In my expereience, the quality of the Mexican made Shure cartridges is not as consistent as they once were.

To back-up what emaidel said...I have one of the Shure Audio Obstacle Course test LP's...done when the V15 Type II was the top of the line. My current crop of better cartridges can track all of the levels of the whole disk. So, it doesn't seem so tough by more modern standards.

An M97 stylus will play in the newer V15mr cartridges, but I don't have a Type II to test it in. I wasn't really crazy about the sound of the M97 stylus in my V15mr however...but I'm not crazy about the sound of the M97 in general. If you have an overly bright system however, or your vinyl isn't in very good shape, the mellow M97 might be just fine, or even welcome. At the other end of the spectrum are many moving coils...which are mostly a little too bright for my tastes. The Stanton is a nice compromise, without breaking the bank. I also have a Grado Gold that I like, but you need to be very careful about hum pick-up with most Grados. But these are just my personal opinions.

Ed_in_Tx
04-19-2009, 05:15 PM
If you could find a NOS stylus for it I'd say go for it. I have a Type II "Improved" and it sounds really nice. It plays quieter on older records, doesn't seem pick up as much noise from deep in the groove. Generally though I prefer using a cartridge with a brush like a ShureType V or a Pickering or Stanton. They do pick up minute amounts of dust while playing.

daveobieone
04-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Any thoughts or suggestions where Audionoob should turn for a new stylus for that MkII?

I've not tried any aftermarket styli for Shure cartridges. Checking around, I haven't found a lot of options for the Type II.

Dave O.

02audionoob
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
emaidel talked me out of replacing the stylus. I'm gonna sell it.

Thinking about your earlier comment, Dave...Have you had any experiences with moving coils that sounded to your liking...not bright?

daveobieone
04-21-2009, 06:54 AM
My experience with MC cartridges is pretty limited, and goes back a ways.

There are things I like about the Denon 301 I use (it's the earlier version, not the mkII version that's current). It tracks VERY well. Seems to pick up very little surface noise, I guess because of the special shaped tip. On records that are somewhat dull at the high-end, it sounds really wonderful. On records that are fairly bright, it's almost painfully bright. The newer versions may very well have tamed that over-brightness out of them.

You should also know that my systems tend to be on the bright (painfully revealing) side anyway. As a broadcast engineer, I need that kind of "in your face" honesty. Folks with slightly mellower high-end from their systems will love the extra brightness.

There are a LOT of folks (who I respect) who think very highly of the Denon 160 high-output MC cartridge...and the price is quite resonable on them (around $170). If I wanted to go back to an MC, that might be the first place I'd look. I also used an Ortofon MC many years ago that sounded nice...but I can't remember the number now.

Please let us know what way you go, and how you like whatever you get!

Dave O.

Reticuli
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Won't the M97 styli fit on it? Or hell, just buy an M97 elliptical cart entirely for $45 and you can try the stylus on the V15. No reason not to keep it until you have the new cart and have tried the tip on it.

Ed_in_Tx
04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Won't the M97 styli fit on it? Or hell, just buy an M97 elliptical cart entirely for $45 and you can try the stylus on the V15. No reason not to keep it until you have the new cart and have tried the tip on it. If the M97 is like the V15 type III or V, the stylus will not fit the older Type II body. The square tube of the older Type II is bigger than the newer V15 type III and V ( I have a II, III and V) so I suspect the M97 would be the same.

02audionoob
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
If the M97 is like the V15 type III or V, the stylus will not fit the older Type II body. The square tube of the older Type II is bigger than the newer V15 type III and V ( I have a II, III and V) so I suspect the M97 would be the same.

True. I tried it. I do have an M97XE.

Reticuli
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry, I clearly did not read the post well enough. My bad.