Hooking up DVD Player to AVR Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up DVD Player to AVR Receiver

chiefwalk3
04-18-2009, 06:09 PM
When I connected the composite video to the Yamaha AVR and connected my HD Monitor TV to AVR the color came out a beautiful green when playing a DVD movie and reconnect resulted in a beautiful yellow. I reconfigured and connected the DVD player directly to the TV and use the AVR for sound works great but I can't use the AVR's resources? Anyone know what's wrong with the direct connect DVD player to AVR then AVR to TV monitor? I'm novice at this Home Theatre capable equipment.

Mr Peabody
04-18-2009, 08:16 PM
How do you connect the Yamaha to the TV? It may be that the Yamaha doesn't have the capability to upsample the composite to be passed via HDMI. Or, if it does have this feature, you have to set the receiver internally to do this.

Does the DVD player have other video outs such as component or HDMI? I'm assuming not or you'd probably be using them.

chiefwalk3
04-19-2009, 04:08 AM
The DVD Player has Component video out only no HDMI. Trying this hook up to the AVR first before going the extra expense of HDMI cables etc. At the start I hooked up the AVR to the TV with the composite cables as well as the DVD player to the AVR with composite cables and the digital audio cable for sound. The Yamaha AVR 462 manual didn't really explain it to my understanding how this is supposed to work? It seemed everything was plug and play?

Jack in Wilmington
04-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Try the component video cables. They should give you a better quality picture than the composite cables.

Mr Peabody
04-19-2009, 02:25 PM
You don't really need HDMI, I agree that you should at least use component for best video quality.

Back to the problem at hand. No matter which connection you use you have to go into the receiver and tell it which video out you are using and assign which video in. I helped a guy with his Yamaha and I agree the manual lacks some clarity. If you don't set the receiver it won't know what video out you are using to the TV. The receiver has a factory default but to know what that is you'd have to look in the receiver's menu or check the manual. I highly doubt the default would be composite, my guess is it's probably the best quality connection.

In addition, lets say you have the DVD hooked into "video input 1" on the back of the receiver. You then have to go into the receiver's set up menu and select which video connection you are using for "video one". Or, your receiver may use "DVD" rather than something like "video 1", but the point is you have to assign whatever input you are using an audio and a video connection. For instance, "DVD" should have a choice for video of composite, S-video or component, possibly HDMI depending on the receiver. You select the one you will be using. Same with audio, you'll have to choose between the various digital and analog inputs.

jvc
04-20-2009, 04:53 AM
I'll add a couple of things to Mr Peabody's suggestions:

If using component cables from dvd to A/V receiver (best picture), you'll also need to use component cables from the "Monitor Out" of A/V receiver, to the tv. You should also switch the dvd player to "Progressive Scan" setting. If there isn't a switch for this, it will be in the player's setup menus.
Good luck!

pixelthis
04-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Try the component video cables. They should give you a better quality picture than the composite cables.

HE WAS USING COMPONENT, he was just calling them the wrong thing.
He had them hooked up wrong, hence the "green", then yellow.:1:

Mr Peabody
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe we can get a confirmation or denial of that. I thought about it, a friend of mine got his component cables mixed and it does show some strange color schemes.