Anyone remember Martin Denny? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Martin Denny?

emaidel
04-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Back in 1959, as a 14 year-old, I heard a piece of music on the radio that knocked my socks off: "Quiet Village," played by the lounge performer, Martin Denny. Mostly piano, vibes, drums and bass, "Quiet Village" had something then altogether new, and that was the interesting addition of numerous bird calls and chirps ceaselessly calling and chirping away throughout the entire song. This was my first introduction to "exotic" music.

I all but fell in love with exotic music played by Martin Denny, and bought every album he had. While I truly loved the music, I also loved (perhaps even more so) the gorgeous, buxom model (Sandra Warner) on most of his album covers in various stages of undress, which was quite provocative for the time. When I moved from New York to Denver in 1993, I threw out all of my Martin Denny records, as I hadn't listened to them in years, and they were all mono as well. Big mistake...

Still, I couldn't throw out one album, "Primitiva," because I so loved the cover! Sandra Warner never looked so gorgeous as she does on that cover, and there's a good deal more of her to be seen too!

Recently, I found a number of Martin Denny CD's on amazon, and ordered a bunch. Each CD has two complete albums on it, and the minute I played "Quiet Village" from the first "Exotica" album, floods of memories started pouring forth. Had I not so loved this music as a such a young teenager, I suspect I wouldn't much care for it today, but I still think it's pretty good stuff, and I'm having a blast listening to these recordings - now digitally remastered and in stereo (with the exception of the first "Exotica" album, because Martin Denny himself preferred the original mono recording to the later stereo version).

It's a bit funny to see "TRANSISTORIZED Stereophonic Sound" emblazoned on the top of these album covers, as a reminder of things that impressed us in the late 50's, but the sound of some of these remasters is actually quite good - surprisingly so for something so old.

If you've never heard anything by Martin Denny, you may, or may not like any of these remasters. For those of you who fondly remember him, and "Quiet Village" in particular, don't waste a minute longer and get yourself a copy!

Troy
04-18-2009, 08:02 AM
I have MD "best of" CD. He's pretty much the gold standard for Tropical Tiki Exotica.

You need to look into Arthur Lyman and Esquivel, if you haven't already. There's some great Les Baxter titles too.

And if you want to hear modern bands putting a tongue in cheek rock spin on this type of music I highly rec you give "Clouseaux" and "Combustable Edison" a spin.

Auricauricle
04-18-2009, 08:25 AM
I remember seeing a few Martin Denny's in my time....They were usually spotted in certain, peculiar households. The covers were quite lavish and highly stylistic, depicting a fantasy scene of some sort or other: a jungle, a bazaar, etc. Kinda reminds me of the James Bond era, when men were handsome, suave and ready for action and the girl was always beautiful, seductive and desirous of that man. Thought it was pretty kitchy at the time, but as the years go by and my taste in music matures, I recognize now that it was all wonderful in its strange, little way!

BTW: Wasn't this the era of Lectric Shave?

Troy
04-18-2009, 08:31 AM

I'm thinking more like "Hai Karate."

Auricauricle
04-18-2009, 08:36 AM
You nailed it, man!

Grab the girls! It's time to hit the beach and shag!!

jonnyhambone
04-18-2009, 09:14 AM
that's kinda cosmic! I just played my Martin Denny Exotica lp last night in honor of our first day of hitting 70, on the porch with a gin n' tonic in hand and Quiet Village on the hi-fi.
Excellent album, I don't play it that often but love it when I do.

RoadRunner6
04-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Back in 1959, as a 15 year old I too remember Martin Denney and later Arthur Lyman with their tiki/exotica music. Perhaps this music led to the birth of teanage boy's grass hut fantasies.

Thanks for the memories, Emaidel.

RR6 :thumbsup:

RoadRunner6
04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
BTW, I think Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass might have also contributed to teanage boy's fantasies.

RR6 :D

emaidel
04-18-2009, 01:23 PM

I still use Lectric Shave! Two Christmases ago, my wife bought me the 3-head Norelco "Architec" electric razor, which does a good job, but, as with almost any electric razor, does a nicer job with Lectric Shave.

emaidel
04-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Back in 1959, as a 15 year old I too remember Martin Denney and later Arthur Lyman with their tiki/exotica music. Perhaps this music led to the birth of teanage boy's grass hut fantasies.

Thanks for the memories, Emaidel.

RR6 :thumbsup:

That is THE Martin Denny album cover!

On the CD of both "Forbidden Island," and "Primitiva" (with the far smaller picture as compared to a 12" LP album jacket), there's a hilarious anecdote about photographing that particular cover.

Sandra Warner, wearing a long hairpiece, is standing in rather cold water somewhere north of Los Angeles, and not in Hawaii, or anywhere in the tropics. Fish and frogs were nibbling at her legs and feet, making her very uncomfortable. After a few different shots, she began to get really irritated, and finally let loose with an, "Oh ****!" Just after her lips stopped curling from completing the expletive, the cameraman took the picture that made the front cover of the album!

I remember the Herb Alpert "Taste of Honey" album too, but still prefer Sandra Warner on the "Primitiva" cover.

Swish
04-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Back in 1959, as a 14 year-old, I heard a piece of music on the radio that knocked my socks off: "Quiet Village," played by the lounge performer, Martin Denny. Mostly piano, vibes, drums and bass, "Quiet Village" had something then altogether new, and that was the interesting addition of numerous bird calls and chirps ceaselessly calling and chirping away throughout the entire song. This was my first introduction to "exotic" music.

Holy crap Batman, there's a geezer here way older than Swishdaddy! It's common knowledge that I'm far from the elder statesman on RR, but I'm no spring chicken either. Hehe.You just made my night buddy!

Auricauricle
04-18-2009, 05:20 PM
I, for one, am more concerned about more important questions....Such as, who is the foxier: the winsome Sandra Warner or the naughty, but nice Bettie Paige?