Hookin' up a VCR to a HT. BD,Yamaha665,CD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hookin' up a VCR to a HT. BD,Yamaha665,CD player

rivrbyte
04-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi!
Ok, here's the scenario. I'm exhausted running 250' of speaker wire to hook up my speakers,so forgive me if I make no sense.

HDTV on wall, cable in wall, HDMI into Yamaha AVR.
Bluray into Yamaha. HDMI
DVD/CD player into Yamaha, (component)
Time-Warner DVR into Yamaha. HDMI.
Panasonic VCR - (composite)

On the GE surge protector, it has two coax/cable surge protector jacks located on the top of the unit. It says to hook up the Coax/cable "in"from the outside cable, and into the "in" jack. The 'out" jack connects to the audio/video unit being protected". (what would this be, the Time-Warner box,or the VCR?)

Presently, on the Time-Warner DVR, the cable coming from the outside is connected to the "RF IN", so does that mean the "RF OUT" should be connected to the surge protector?

Do I need to hook anything other than the Audio/Video composite cables to the VCR? Do I need Coax cables like in the old days, cable to the VCR and VCR out to the TV.

Mr Peabody
04-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Take cable from wall and connect it to GE input. Go from GE cable out into the same RF in on The Time Warner. That's done. This is to protect if your cable line gets a lightning strike.

If you still use your VCR to record you will need to connect the Time Warner composite video and L/R audio to the VCR and then the VCR outputs, same kind, to the Yamaha. If you are still recording with your VCR, stop, call Time Warner, get a DVR :) These instructions are assuming the Yamaha will upconvert the composite and allow it to pass via HDMI to your TV.

rivrbyte
04-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Mr. Pea-
Thank you! yes, I already have a TW DVR that I record with, and no, I will not record with the VCR any longer, just playback only. Again, thanks!

Mr Peabody
04-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Same here, those DVR's are nice gizmos.

rivrbyte
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Okie-Dokie, all up and running...

Thank you for all who contributed to my questions on setting up my HT system. I ended up running 16 gauge to the fronts and center, and 14 gauge to the rear and surround back (center-rear channel) and so far, it sounds good.One HDMI from Display (in-wall) to the AVR,and everytthing into that. The only bummer is I have three different remotes..Turn on/off TV with Samsung,2) turn off Time-Warner cable with TW remote,and 3) push the Master power OFF on the top right side, usually twice to shut off. As far as programming,I inputted the codes for each component,VCR,CD/DVD player,Time Warner cable and Samsung TV,so is it still normal to use three different remotes? No Biggie.

All I have to do is to read more on my RX-V665 Yamaha receiver as far as the surround modes go. Basically, I'm guessing I won't get all the good stuff as far as effect features from this AVR until I watch a BD movie?

On watching regular TV broadcasts, I am using the DOLBY DIGITAL setting. From there I can use the 7 channel,or 2 channel Stereo setting, or the Straight Enhancer. There are other buttons on the remote like the PURE DIRECT,which when I press the SURROUND DECODER, it displays"NOT AVAILABLE".

In order to use the other features on this AVR, I'm guessing I can get more effects out of this AVR by watching a 5.1 broadcast,or a Bluray, then and only then, will I see features like the Dolby TrueHD,DTS-HD Master Audio,Kick in. I have not checked out the Neural surround with the music feature.

Not a big deal, but is this normal? When I turn UP the volume on the remote,the sound level on the AVR displays that it going minus(-) down,not up. ie: -20.00db,instead of +20.00db

This receiver is running hotter than I thought, it is in it's own cabinet shelf, with the window open all the time. I will consider buying an "Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler" for on top of the receiver to help cool it...if they really work.

PS. My speakers are from HSU Research Sound in Orange County, Ca. They are amazing!
Thanks again for all who chimed in to help me.