Ezra Furman & the Harpoons [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ezra Furman & the Harpoons

Mr MidFi
04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I really think a lot of you guys would like these guys...

http://ezrafurman.com/

Seriously.

Ex Lion Tamer
04-19-2009, 03:57 PM
I listened to the first few songs yesterday and really liked what I heard, especially that first Cramps-esque, Rock-a-billy number. Thanks for the link.

Mr MidFi
04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the pity-click, ELT.

I haven't picked up their recent disc yet, but my buddy at work has been playing it plenty and it all sounds pretty good to me.

3-LockBox
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
You are actually right, I'd be surprised if an album like this didn't do well around these parts. Loose alt-country similar to Old '97s or Wilco, verging on indie rock - not twangy enough to compare to the likes of an Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown or Drive By Truckers.

Sparce arrangements - has that sound of being recorded in-studio without overdubs, or its just a small bar with sedate patrons, which is the only way to listen to band like this really. The lead singer has that frenetic, barely-contained-energy quality that I'd usually associate more with indie rock than alt-country, since his voice doesn't have that strained, rural, world weary Steve Earl quality that many alt-country bands of the '90s and '00s have.

I was actually thinking early Modest Mouse on some of those tracks, and as I read further into their bio, the producer for their albums was the same guy who worked with Modest Mouse, Brian Deck.

Mr MidFi
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
I just read that they've been added to the Lollapalooza lineup, which is looking fairly interesting overall. The headliners are no big deal to me, but the second-tier acts are looking pretty cool.

http://2009.lollapalooza.com/

Mr MidFi
04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I think their web site makes them sound more alt.country than they really are, actually. My overall impression is more like Violent Femmes meet Willie Nile.