John Madden calling it quits [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : John Madden calling it quits

3-LockBox
04-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Madden is retiring from the booth, though I haven't heard if he's still going to be involved with the video game side of his career. While some sport fans think Madden shoulda retired 5 or 6 years ago (as do I), some never liked the guy. I liked him. He retired at the top of his coaching career, when he coulda coached another ten years if he wanted to, when he coulda coached anywhere he wanted. Madden brought a sharp insight, wit, and regular guy sensibility to the booth and made the position of color commentator and analyst relevant, when otherwise the color commentator was just a second banana or worse, comedic relief. Amidst a group of GQ/news anchor wannabes, Madden was everyman - he didn't try to use perfect diction nor was he caught up in image. He touted the underdogs of the football game at the time, offensive lineman, when they rarely ever got mentioned unless they commited a penalty or got hurt. Madden also brought real insight to the game. Watching Frank Gifford and other GQs like him, it was hard to imagine a lot of these ex-football player/commentators ever played in the NFL. While other sportcasters worked on their vocal delivery, Madden talked shop and practically gave coaching seminars during the game, all the while never coming off as pretentious. The video game that bears his name might not even be the most innovative Football game out there, but the name Madden has so much cred, even among teenagers, I imagine it will endure for a long long time.

I sincerely hope we don't hear from the guy again for a long time, cuz that's usually not a good thing after a retirement, and I do think he needs to go. Its hard for some of these guys to let go, but he had a tendency to ramble and was slow to make a point at times. Al Michaels was starting to finish sentences for him. He says he wants to spend more time with his grand kids. I hope he's retiring in good health, and here's wishing him a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCzIFsCeyDU

GMichael
04-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Thank God he's done. Could not stand him in any way. Whenever he was on, I would mute the TV and put on the radio broadcast instead. He won't be missed in my house.

3-LockBox
04-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank God he's done. Could not stand him in any way. Whenever he was on, I would mute the TV and put on the radio broadcast instead. He won't be missed in my house.

see how you are?

GMichael
04-16-2009, 01:45 PM
see how you are?
Collinsworth Named Madden's Successor.

Geesh.. Out with one fool and in with another.:mad2:

3-LockBox
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Collinsworth Named Madden's Successor.

Geesh.. Out with one fool and in with another.:mad2:

I actually like Collinsworth's candor, but I'm not sure he'll bring the insight that Madden did. At least they didn't give the gig to Matt Millen (I was afraid they might). Millen's stint in the booth was little more than a poor imitation of Madden.

RoadRunner6
04-16-2009, 11:20 PM

Amen! I never could stand that high ptiched, sing song, cry baby sounding voice. I don't care how knowledgeable he was. I was right behind you with the mute button, GM.

Worf101
04-17-2009, 04:43 AM
As a Raider Fan since the infamous "Heidi Bowl" incident, I'll always have a soft spot for John Madden. Raider to his core, not a Davis synchophant and a brilliant football mind. Who else is going to explain the "cover 2" to ya? Mebbe he's leaving a couple a 5 years too late, but he's leaving on HIS terms, not like Gifford or Cossell or any number of jamokes who overstay their welcome. Also he never struck me as an analyst who thinks he's bigger than the game.

I for one, will miss him.

Da Worfster

3-LockBox
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Also he never struck me as an analyst who thinks he's bigger than the game. I for one, will miss him.

Good point. He was also one of the first real analysts of the game, whereas others were/are really just commentators. I've heard others say they didn't like the way he talked, but I listened for content, and Madden was a true teacher of the game. Other commentators are just weathermen - hell, any fifth grader can tell you why it rains; tell me when its gonna rain! Madden was great at pointing out defensive alignments and offensive formations just before the snap, many times predicting a coaches next move. Other commentators don't do that. Madden changed the way a football game is reported because his style increased the football knowledge of the average veiwer, and that is his legacy - content. But people love their comic relief. Don Meredith influenced a lot of commentators as well, but I wouldn't say he elevated anyone's football IQ. There's a whole lotta Meredith and Millen imitators out there, who think their job is to be cute or funny; to be an Andy Divine to a play-by-play guys' Gene Autry.

GMichael
04-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Good point. He was also one of the first real analysts of the game, whereas others were/are really just commentators. I've heard others say they didn't like the way he talked, but I listened for content, and Madden was a true teacher of the game. Other commentators are just weathermen - hell, any fifth grader can tell you why it rains; tell me when its gonna rain! Madden was great at pointing out defensive alignments and offensive formations just before the snap, many times predicting a coaches next move. Other commentators don't do that. Madden changed the way a football game is reported because his style increased the football knowledge of the average veiwer, and that is his legacy - content. But people love their comic relief. Don Meredith influenced a lot of commentators as well, but I wouldn't say he elevated anyone's football IQ. There's a whole lotta Meredith and Millen imitators out there, who think their job is to be cute or funny, to be an Andy Divine to a play-by-play guys' Gene Autry.
The main problem I had with Madden was that he would say things like, "In this situation, they HAVE to run the ball. If they do anything else, then they just don't know football."
(The ball gets snapped. They run the ball for no gain)
Then Maddden says, "Oh I knew that would happen. See this line-up the defense is in? They should have thrown the ball. I don't understand why they would have run it."
These kinds of statements were consistent with him. It drove me nuts.

3-LockBox
04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
The main problem I had with Madden was that he would say things like, "In this situation, they HAVE to run the ball. If they do anything else, then they just don't know football."
(The ball gets snapped. They run the ball for no gain)
Then Maddden says, "Oh I knew that would happen. See this line-up the defense is in? They should have thrown the ball. I don't understand why they would have run it."
These kinds of statements were consistent with him. It drove me nuts.

Well, the 'O' and 'D' coordinators didn't have live network feeds...that's why they run run the wrong plays...John knew that...see!

can a brutha get a "Duh!"

GMichael
04-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Doh!....