Composite Video vs Digital Coax Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Composite Video vs Digital Coax Cables

Roman-dude
04-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Hi, so maybe this is somewhat of a stupid question, but is there really a difference between the Composite Video and Digital Coax Cables? My thinking is that if the two are not the same, they must be very close.. I am thinking of using composite video ones to connect amp and pre-amp...
thx much

ps i posted this in cables too, but am thinking there might be some interest/responses in the general forum as well.

hermanv
04-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Both are coax, coax does come in varying grades, I think they are interchangeable. Leastwise worked fine when I tried it.

pixelthis
04-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi, so maybe this is somewhat of a stupid question, but is there really a difference between the Composite Video and Digital Coax Cables? My thinking is that if the two are not the same, they must be very close.. I am thinking of using composite video ones to connect amp and pre-amp...
thx much

ps i posted this in cables too, but am thinking there might be some interest/responses in the general forum as well.

All are RCA cables and are pretty much the same.
Some argue that "video" cables should be 75 ohm, and this is true, but in teh greater scheme of things it hardly makes a difference.:1:

Roman-dude
04-29-2009, 03:45 AM
but in teh greater scheme of things it hardly makes a difference.:1:
love this comment! :3:

RoadRunner6
04-29-2009, 04:07 AM
but in teh greater scheme of things it hardly makes a difference.:1:

Roman-dude might love it, but some of us have been around here for some light years and it scares the hell out of me!

How come every time this Pixelthis guy posts I hear that eerie sounding theme from the Twilight Zone?

RR6 :yikes:

Roman-dude
04-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Roman-dude might love it, but some of us have been around here for some light years and it scares the hell out of me!

How come every time this Pixelthis guy posts I hear that eerie sounding theme from the Twilight Zone?

how come? just curious...

pixelthis
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM

I guess the voice of reason is a little too hard to take.
Dont worry, I wont steal your magic rocks off of the top of your speakers in the middle
of the night, after all, the natives need their superstitions to cling to.
As for the "twilight Zone" I really dont know what you're talking about.
Really.:1:

Roman-dude
04-30-2009, 02:53 AM
seems like this post has awakened demons of the times past..
going back to the subject matter of the post though, according to Monster Cable, their audio cables are semi-balanced, while video and dig coax are unbalanced, which should reduce interference.. now, how important that is I cannot say...

RoadRunner6
04-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Not a big deal, it's just that Pixelthis is an alien. I think he is from the planet Alabama. Sorry about getting off the subject here.

markw
04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
On the front corner of your main speakers, stack a quarter, a nickle and a dime, and see if you can hear the change.

pixelthis
05-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Not a big deal, it's just that Pixelthis is an alien. I think he is from the planet Alabama. Sorry about getting off the subject here.

I really dont comprehend what you are vocalizing.:1:

GMichael
05-04-2009, 05:50 AM
I have been using componnent cables to connect to my SACD player. They seem to work fine. Composite shouldn't be much different. There may be some difference that I can't hear, but if I can't hear it, then there's no difference. (to me)

Don't mind Pixy. He's just a little larger than life. Keeps us all laughing.

hermanv
05-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Component cables are used for HDTV, they allow 30Mhz bandwidth and as such are basically coax. They will work fine as a digital cable.

Because coax is often a high capacitance cable, it might not work well for audio interconnects especially if driven by some brands of vacuum tube gear