Composite Video vs Digital Coax Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Composite Video vs Digital Coax Cables

Roman-dude
04-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Hi, so maybe this is somewhat of a stupid question, but is there really a difference between the Composite Video and Digital Coax Cables? My thinking is that if the two are not the same, they must be very close.. I am thinking of using composite video ones to connect amp and pre-amp...
thx much

Feanor
04-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Hi, so maybe this is somewhat of a stupid question, but is there really a difference between the Composite Video and Digital Coax Cables? My thinking is that if the two are not the same, they must be very close.. I am thinking of using composite video ones to connect amp and pre-amp...
thx much

BS aside, they are the same with a small caveat.

If you visit the Blue Jeans Cable site (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/), you will see they offer composite video cable, digital coax cable, and component interconnects that all use the same Belden 1694A cable and Canare RCAPs connectors. The caveat is that unshield cables which adequate for sound frequency analog interconnects might not have enough protection against EMI/RFI for video or digital use; however you can certainly use composite or coax interchangably, or for interconnects if you want to.

winston
04-22-2009, 06:35 PM
'BS aside, they are the same with a small caveat.
Thanks Fe nor" for that simple explanation (Roman-Dude is that OK for you) many years ago i use to pander over the same thing. until my $65 bucks monster crappy" digital coax broke off .and i was desperate as it was my daughter 16TH B- DAY the music must go on the first thing i got my hands on was a six feet composite cable it works like a charm in that Yamaha cpd. i don't have the golden ear ! so for me composite,coax, and sub,cables within a price point" without THE BS AND SNAKE OIL is all the same to me.

nightflier
04-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Winston, digital & coax cables are interchangeable, but the same is not true for sub & analog RCA cables. Typically digital & coax cables are downward compatible, but analog cables are not upward compatible with digital cables.

winston
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks nightflyer....i was of the opinion that since they all typically 75 ohms it didn't really matter and with all the snake oil & stuff." that been said i swapped out cables on the sub and within a few minutes (yes i could hear the difference)..so who is it that said ol dogs cant learn new tricks..
Win