This coming Saturday is "Record Store Day". [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This coming Saturday is "Record Store Day".

Swish
04-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Be sure get out there and support your favorite indie record store, most of which should be running special sales for the event. I plan to stop by Main Street Music in Manayunk on Friday (their sale runs from Friday to Sunday and I'll be on my way home from Atlantic City, so it's on the way) to take advantage of their offer of 15% off all new and 20% off all used cds, vinyl, and dvds. That sale isn't open to everyone. I'm on their e-mail list and the instructions say that I need to print the e-mail and to present it for the discount, so I guess you have to be on their e-mail list to get the discount. Whatever works.

3-LockBox
04-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Record store day...sez who?

Swish
04-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Record store day...sez who?

Hundreds of U.S. independent record stores will join together on April 19th for a joint promotion dubbed Record Store Day. Members of The Coalition of Independent Music Stores, The Alliance of Independent Media Stores, Newbury Comics, the Value Music Concept stores and The Music Monitor Network as well as other independent music stores will participate.

Record_store_day_2 "On this day, all of these stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally."

Music, video and gaming will all take center stage with each store doing something different to celebrate including sales, in store performances, demonstrations, swap meets or an "afternoon at a record store" promotion, as well as, provide info on new formats and releases. The goal is to showcase everything that makes an indie store unique.

Representatives will be doing meetings with sponsors at SXSW and a special web site has been set up at RecordStoreDay.com.

Mr MidFi
04-15-2009, 07:54 AM
The weather is supposed to be halfway decent this Saturday (finally), so it might be a good opportunity to indulge in two of my favorite activities... going for a long walk, and buying ceedees.

The next town over from us (just a few miles up the river path), the charming village of Geneva IL, has a great indie record store right in the heart of the downtown area. Good size used section, so that's always worth exploring.

And it's only one block away from the fabulous Old Towne Saloon, so I can grab a pint and some great wings and watch the Cubs when I'm finished. Sounds like a pretty good day, if you ask me.

Jack in Wilmington
04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
The weather is supposed to be halfway decent this Saturday (finally), so it might be a good opportunity to indulge in two of my favorite activities... going for a long walk, and buying ceedees.

The next town over from us (just a few miles up the river path), the charming village of Geneva IL, has a great indie record store right in the heart of the downtown area. Good size used section, so that's always worth exploring.

And it's only one block away from the fabulous Old Towne Saloon, so I can grab a pint and some great wings and watch the Cubs when I'm finished. Sounds like a pretty good day, if you ask me.

Does sound like a good day, except for watching the Cubbies. Go PHILLIES
Just kidding. I've been waiting for some good weather. Friday and Saturday sound like a couple of beauties. Here's to new vinyl, good brew, and sunshine.

Kevio
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I was about to ask why you'd bother to visit a record store anymore. I do understand the merits of a cultural experience with wings and beer and sports. I don't think that's going to be enough to save the stores though.

3-LockBox
04-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I was about to ask why you'd bother to visit a record store anymore. I do understand the merits of a cultural experience with wings and beer and sports. I don't think that's going to be enough to save the stores though.

I get what you're saying, but I do like the instant gratification of being able to buy a CD and listen to it within the same day. The local record store near me, Everyday Music, has many of the titles discussed here for the last year or so - its a dollar or two over the price of the same CD at Best Buy, and three or four dollars over the price of a CD online, but with most online purchases, you have shipping/handling costs, so it evens out. Plus, this store sells and buys used CDs, so its possible to find something you want for cheap, as well as unload something you're unhappy with, or you can do what Troy once called, "a Stalinistic purge" of your CD collection in one fell swoop.

There's also lots and lots of vinyl in this store, many new releases, and its fun to see a full size representation of a CD cover, even if I don't partake of vinyl. And there's also the weirdos that seem to always hover around these little indie stores...maybe its the insence.

I buy more music online, than I do in actual stores, but it will be a sad day when a store like Everday Music no longer exists. I would work there for free (they said no thanks).

Finch Platte
04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Be sure get out there and support your favorite indie record store, most of which should be running special sales for the event.

You mean support it more than I already am? Not possible! :sosp:

I had an amazing experience at my LRS (Local Record Store) yesterday. I had mentioned a week ago that I wanted to check out the new release by Easy Star All Stars, they're covering Sgt. Pepper, doing it reggae-style. The clerk said that he could probably get it, and sure enough, it had come in, & he recognized me and said "hey, that disc you wanted is in!"

I don't know what's more amazing, the fact that they ordered something and it came in, or that the clerk actually talked to me! :thumbsup:

http://www.shubidubi.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/easy_star_all_stars-easy_stars_lonely_hearts_dub_band_b.jpg

Troy
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
http://www.shubidubi.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/easy_star_all_stars-easy_stars_lonely_hearts_dub_band_b.jpg

How is this? I loved their DSOTM, but was totally bored by the Radiohead one.

-Stalin

Kevio
04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I get what you're saying, but I do like the instant gratification of being able to buy a CD and listen to it within the same day.Aren't music downloads the ultimate in instant gratification?

In my opinion, record store vs. online is not about cost. It is about selection, helpful suggestions and the ability to audition before you buy. A good and well-staffed record store will score well on these points but so will a mediocre online store.

3-LockBox
04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Dub Side Of The Moon

I am prolly too burned out on DSoTM to enjoy any reworking. My first thought upon hearing this album for the first time was that it was well executed, and is prolly better than one might think, but ultimately, its just one more time that I've listened to this same album, only without the cool guitar soloing (they rap instead). I imagine that the Sgt Pepper redux will have the same effect on me. I have not heard the Radiodread one; maybe I should, since I haven't OD'd on OK Computer.

Their versions of Us And Them and Any Colour You Like are pretty cool though.

3-LockBox
04-15-2009, 11:21 AM
In my opinion, record store vs. online is not about cost. It is about selection, helpful suggestions and the ability to audition before you buy. A good and well-staffed record store will score well on these points but so will a mediocre online store.

This store has a huge selection, and they allow for the sampling of all used titles, but also their promo copies as well. Most online stores offere 30 second samples with low bitrate playback. And by 'instant gratification', I mean I walks out the store with the CD in my grubby little hands, like RFN.

Troy
04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I still like going to a good store over ordering online/downloading.

I don't get out enough as it is.

I like trading stuff in, and I like having a physical object to own and maybe trade in again.

And it's weird how the strangest things seem to jump into my hands at the used store. Shopping in a store is more random and spontaneous. Buying online feels very linear and boring. There's no people watching online either.

Plus I like going for a slice of pizza after the store.

The Easy All-Star version of "Us and Them" is better than the original.

3-LockBox
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Plus I like going for a slice of pizza after the store.

Funny, there's an old fashioned east-coast style pizzaria just a hundred feet from Everyday Music. I have a couple of slices and a beer (maybe two).

Mr MidFi
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Here's the New Releases page from my local store:
http://kissthesky.net/newrelease90407.html?299

I'll probably pick up the new Doves.

And while I'm at it, here's the site for the Old Towne Pub...
http://www.oldtownepubeatery.com/

I'll probably get the teriyaki-hot wings. They're awesome.

Finch Platte
04-15-2009, 02:06 PM
The Easy All-Star version of "Us and Them" is better than the original.

Ain't that the truth?

I was sick of DSotM eons ago, but I could listen to the Dub Side over & over.

Not sure about the Sgt. Pepper, yet.

You might be able to check out "I Get By W/ A Little Help From My Friends" by going to www.easystar.com/freedownloads and entering Y9DMPSY5G5. There's a card that came w/ the CD and that's what I had to enter to hear the DLs. Don't know if it will work for more than one entry. Let me know if it works.

fp

Swish
04-15-2009, 06:52 PM
You mean support it more than I already am? Not possible! :sosp:

I had an amazing experience at my LRS (Local Record Store) yesterday. I had mentioned a week ago that I wanted to check out the new release by Easy Star All Stars, they're covering Sgt. Pepper, doing it reggae-style. The clerk said that he could probably get it, and sure enough, it had come in, & he recognized me and said "hey, that disc you wanted is in!"

I don't know what's more amazing, the fact that they ordered something and it came in, or that the clerk actually talked to me! :thumbsup:

What a rube.

3-LockBox
04-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Record_store_day_2 "On this day, all of these stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally."

Music, video and gaming will all take center stage with each store doing something different to celebrate including sales, in store performances, demonstrations, swap meets or an "afternoon at a record store" promotion, as well as, provide info on new formats and releases. The goal is to showcase everything that makes an indie store unique.

My fave store is doing the recodr store day thingy too...but they didn't like any of my suggestions :(

Free hotdogs or doughnuts or popcorn

mainstream pop icon dart board

pin the tail on the music exec

Garth Brooks look-a-like contest

teej
04-16-2009, 03:16 PM
The local record store near me, Everyday Music, has many of the titles discussed here for the last year or so).

Is Cellophane Square still up your way? Back in they day Cellophane in U-district (Seattle) was my favorite place on earth. Many an hour that should have been spent studying/in class/sleeping was spent in that store. Last Christmas season I had the misfortune of being in Bel Square. At one point I was horrified to see I was standing outside a McDonalds where once a Cellophane Square lived. It was horrible.

Alas, these days I have no local record stores. The one that remained within walkin distance of my office My checkbook appreciates it though.

tj

3-LockBox
04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Is Cellophane Square still up your way?

where you at?

The store is still there, its called Everyday Music. Its changed ownership and names a couple of times in the last 15 years. It was Cellophane Square up until the mid-90s. Same corner, right across the street from the bus depot.

nobody
04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Three record stores in town are doing things. I'm trying to decide if I should go to the record store with better bands, the one giving out free PBRs, or the one closest to my place...decisions, decisions, decisions...

Mr MidFi
04-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Three record stores in town are doing things. I'm trying to decide if I should go to the record store with better bands, the one giving out free PBRs, or the one closest to my place...decisions, decisions, decisions...

Let Frank from the movie Blue Velvet be your guide...

Pabst. Blue. Ribbon!

teej
04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
where you at?

The store is still there, its called Everyday Music. Its changed ownership and names a couple of times in the last 15 years. It was Cellophane Square up until the mid-90s. Same corner, right across the street from the bus depot.

Wow...that warms my heart to know it still exists in some form or another. I only ever trekked to the Bellingham Cellophane once...probably 1986/87 or so. I was still in college at the UW at the time....my record hunting buddies piled into the car and we went off to new hunting grounds. It was a bust of a trip for me, as I recall I didn't come away with anything!

I'm on Bainbridge now, back in the old RR days I was living in Kingston and I remember you were near Bellingham. Do you remember a radio station from Bellingham that billed itself as the "Independent Rock Station" with a morning crew of Dave, Deb and Doug? It was around 92.x or so on the FM dial and they played quite the variety of stuff. They introduced me to the Barenaked Ladies (before they had a hit in the States), Swamp Mama Johnson among others. They held out as long as they could before selling out to corporate and playing accountant-approved standards. I always wondered what happened to Dave, Deb and Doug.

tj

nobody
04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Let Frank from the movie Blue Velvet be your guide...

Pabst. Blue. Ribbon!

Yeah, but the other place has Jason Ringenberg playing a free show and I can damn well buy my own PBRs.

3-LockBox
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Do you remember a radio station from Bellingham that billed itself as the "Independent Rock Station" with a morning crew of Dave, Deb and Doug? It was around 92.x or so on the FM dial and they played quite the variety of stuff. They introduced me to the Barenaked Ladies (before they had a hit in the States), Swamp Mama Johnson among others. They held out as long as they could before selling out to corporate and playing accountant-approved standards. I always wondered what happened to Dave, Deb and Doug. 92.9 FM - KISM: They, ultimately, fell by the way side, against the tide of corporate driven playlists. For one brief, shining moment, a radio station existed to provide a comprehensive veiw of the musical landscape; to provide new listening oppportunities for new music, to expand the boundaries of what the average listener might consider as viable or even classic...and then they were no more. I met one of them once, who shared my wonder of music and its possibilities, who shared my yen to explore, but alas, the station of which you speak, while it exists today in name only, is now one of thousands of classic rock stations, who play the same playlist over and over and over again.

Rest in peace 92.9 KISM Independant Rock, thou good and faithful servant.:sad:

Swish
04-18-2009, 07:46 AM
...gave the vinyl a good look, picking up a remaster of James Brown - Live at the Apollo on a nice 180 gram pressing. Also got a couple used oldies; The Waterboys - This is the Sea and The Beautiful South - Welcome to the Beautiful South. I also grabbed the lasted CDs from Gomez and Great Lake Swimmers. Not a very big day, but I lost a few hundred in Atlantic City Thursday night, so I wasn't too keen on spending a lot of money on Friday.

Auricauricle
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
So, how can we here at AR set up an internet station to do just this: Play the au courant stuff while keeping the youngsters and neophytes abreast of the "classics", etc? Mebbe I'm stepping out too far too soon or risking being redundundant, but in lieu of a radio station, mebbe the folks here can whip something like this up!

Swish
04-18-2009, 10:44 AM
So, how can we here at AR set up an internet station to do just this: Play the au courant stuff while keeping the youngsters and neophytes abreast of the "classics", etc? Mebbe I'm stepping out too far too soon or risking being redundundant, but in lieu of a radio station, mebbe the folks here can whip something like this up!

I'm not sure how we would do something like that, but we have some real techo-geeks posting at RR. I know some of us have done a 'top 50' or even a 'top 100' records or essential records at one time and they would be in the archives. Maybe someone could set up a website with Google (they will host for free!) where we could keep that information stored and provide a link or sumpthin. Maybe that would be too complicated, although I'm sure others will chime in when they see your comment, or at least I hope they do.

3-LockBox
04-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Didn't buy any mew music, but did go out and see the sights. I did however WIN a CD!!! At Everybody's Music no less. They were raffling off prizes a couple of time during the day and I won a new CD...something I haven't heard of:

The Whip - X Marks The Destination - like The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, this is more "80s new wave revisited by way of Erasure meets Psychadelic Furs meets New Order. Fun stuff, though like TPoBPH, they aren't completely original. Still, better than half the crap people of this age put out...like thier dad listened to some of the same stuff I did.

Mr MidFi
04-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I ended up buying the new Doves disc, Cities of Rust. Me likey lots! And I got the 2-disc remaster of PT's Stupid Dream, too.

As for my 'nice long walk,' I ended up taking the wife and kid to Starved Rock State Park for a serious hike. It was awesome!
http://www.starvedrockstatepark.org/

My wife took these shots:
http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/p120231112

3-LockBox
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I saw some great street performers as well. One guy I saw was a one man band, with a tin can full of metal washers and I think bearings on one shoe, while his other shoe operated a kick drum hammer, but his kick drum was the suitcase he pulled most of his stuff out of - he also had a half-tamborine mounted to some earphones, which played by bobbing his head. The tin can was the high hat, the suitcase was closely miked and sounded close enough like an actual kickdrum. He played a really old electric guitar and his microphone was ancient. He was good - he did knockout covers of old T-Rex songs Rock On and one other I didn't recognize (he said it was T-Rex). The rest were blues tunes. He had quite crowd around him for the time he was out there.

He was parked outside Avalon records, the opposite corner from Everybody's Music. I rarely go in there cuz they give next to nothing for used CDs and their prices are as bad as the malls. But they did support the street musicians on Saturday - they had four or five local street musicians play in front of their store. The big, nice amp that sat out front belonged to a guy in the store and all the musicians used it along with whatever they brought, not to mention the store's electricity.