Component HDTV through older Yamaha receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component HDTV through older Yamaha receiver?

jduehmig
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I have just (finally) purchased my first HDTV, a Samsung LN37A550. The picture is fantastic, and I am now trying to get it fully integrated into the rest of my setup. My question is this: can I send a HDTV signal via component video cables through my Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver and into the TV?

Here are the details: I have a Netgear EVA8000 media player and a Samsung Blueray DVD player. Both have component out connections as well as HDMI. Since I want to use my Yamaha receiver to switch video like I did with the old analog TV, I have plugged the component video cables into the DTV and DVD Component In connections of the Yahama, with the Monitor Component Out connection running to the Samsung TV.

This does not appear to work. All I get on the Component 1 source on the Samsung is a grey screen. This indicates it is receiving a signal of some sort because it does not display a 'no signal' message.

So, is it not possible to route HDTV signals through my Yamaha, or is there something wrong with my wiring?

Thanks for your help.
Joe

Mr Peabody
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Joe, your not a plumber are you :)

HD should pass through the Yamaha via component with no problem. Make sure the inputs used have been assigned to the component setting inside the receiver. You will also need to check the Samsung to be sure it is set to component out and not HDMI, also set the resolution inside the Samsung, if I'm not mistaken you will only be able to pass 1080i from the component and no upsampling of regular DVD will take place. I'm sure about no upsampling.

You may want to opt sending HDMI to the TV and running a digital audio connection to the receiver. This will just require switching audio and video separately.

bfalls
04-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Why not do both? Run the component video through the Yamaha and HDMI directly to the TV? Since both sources have connections for both.

I have mine setup just the opposite. I use the component input and analog audio when I just want to view HD TV without surround and have HDMI through my receiver when I want HD video and surround audio formats. I agree with Mr Peabody, there's probably a source assignment causing your current problem.

L.J.
04-15-2009, 07:16 AM
I have mine setup just the opposite. I use the component input and analog audio when I just want to view HD TV without surround and have HDMI through my receiver when I want HD video and surround audio formats. I agree with Mr Peabody, there's probably a source assignment causing your current problem.

Mine is set exactly the same. No sense in watching the morning news in full surround sound :ciappa:

jduehmig
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks all for your detailed responses. No, I'm not a plumber but I play one on TV. :)

I will check the input settings on my reciever to see if that is the problem.

Thanks!
Joe