Right channel not working properly [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Right channel not working properly

moves
04-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I plugged my mains into the L and R and I noticed that the right side is very faint in sound while the left is working at a normal level. I can hear the left speaker working it's just very low and sounds a little muffled.

All of the right channel outlets perform this way... same with the rear right channel.

Are the rear and main right channel running on the same "mechanism"? I assume they are and left has it's own compartment that takes care of the left feeds.

I don't know much about these things so I though I would join and post my question here.

Thanks!

Kevio
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Does this happen with any input selected or is just one of the possible inputs (e.g. DVD)?

moves
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
happens with all of them

moves
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
actually no wait a sec i am testing it...

Okay so I looked into it and you are right. It's fine with all of the inputs EXCEPT when I plug it into my computer. The sound only comes out of the left channel while it's playing through the computer... i have the audio plugs going from the puter to the receiver plugged into the CD input.. is that ok?

moves
04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I find it odd that there is aLITTLE sound coming out but not nearly as loud as the left

Kevio
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
It could be the cable or it could be the computer or it could be the receiver. Basic troubleshooting will help determine which. Switch the left and right connections to the receiver. If the problem moves to the other channel, the problem is not in the receiver. Attach an iPod to the cable. If it sounds good, the problem is in the computer.

RoadRunner6
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Are you sure you have a stereo plug on the end of the cable that goes into the computer. My guess is a cable problem.

moves
04-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Are you sure you have a stereo plug on the end of the cable that goes into the computer. My guess is a cable problem.

The cable I have has two ends that go into the receiver and one that goes into the puter.

Kevio
04-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Here a picture of what your cable should look like. It is important that the computer end of it have two black stripes on it, not one. I think that's what RoadRunner6 is concerned about.

Do the troubleshooting I suggested earlier. If you're not up to it, find a friend that can help. It shouldn't be hard to find where the problem lives.

moves
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
yea that's exactly what i have. Anyway thanks I'll look into it further. I'll try plugging it into other sources and see what happens.