CompUSA 2.0 ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA 2.0 ?

Worf101
04-13-2009, 04:18 AM
According to my vast network of international spies, CrapUSA is trying a comeback... Are you kidding me?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10217472-92.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Da Worfster

pixelthis
04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Their old building is still empty in Hoover.
Sounds like an April fools joke, in any event, or maybe "EDSEL 2.0":1:

blackraven
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
As much as you poopoo Comp USA, they were still the best place in town here to have your computer fixed. They also ran very good sales. I can remember buying a Western Digital 10,000 rpm 75g Raptor hard drive for $80, 1/2 of the normal price several years ago.

Worf101
04-14-2009, 04:26 AM
As much as you poopoo Comp USA, they were still the best place in town here to have your computer fixed. They also ran very good sales. I can remember buying a Western Digital 10,000 rpm 75g Raptor hard drive for $80, 1/2 of the normal price several years ago.
There WAS a time with CompUSA meant more or less "competent" computer repairs for those who don't roll their own. However a company so large and diverse that couldn't see:

1. Mail order computers from vendors at a third of the price of their overpriced crap. Think ComputerShopper Magazine.

2. Online sale of parts and made to order systems.

3. Desemination of knowledge of both prices and tech savvy making both their sales and repair business marginal at best.

Had they lowered their margins, recognised the threat of online merchants, been honest and offered parts and systems at least in the same county as online merchants (something to be said about getting what you want RIGHT THEN) then perhaps they'd still be in businees. But there didn't and they still can't.

Da Worfster