I know nothing and i need advise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing and i need advise

chuckpumpkins
04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi,

First time I post here. I have no amp, no speakers but only a good technics turntable. I would like to know what should I buy to use it with a budget around 850 $
I live in a place where i cant listen to it loud so i dont need something loud. Any advise on config that I should look for ? I am a bit confused with preamp/amp etc etc and I dont really want to spend 20 hours reading reviews and forums.
Help would be really appreciated.

Thx

blackraven
04-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Do you intend to use this for home theater as well? If not consider the Harmon Kardon 3490 2ch receiver and the 3390. It has plenty of power and has a phono input and subwoofer out in case you ever plan on adding a sub. These are a lot of bang for the buck.

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3390/

This is a real bargain and will allow you to purchase some decent speakers like the B&W 685's, Monitor Audio S1's, RS1's, Energy C-200's, PSB B-25's, NHT Classic two's or Classic Three's to name a few. These are all bookshelf speakers and will need speaker stands to sound the best.

blackraven
04-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure if the 3390 has sub out, you can check that at the Harmon Kardon web site. I would bet that it does.

B&H has the 3390 for $219 with free shipping

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554380-REG/Harman_Kardon_HK3390_HK_3390_Stereo_Receiver.html

Concerning amps and pre amps. A receiver has an amp and preamp along with a tuner all in one box. There are integrated amps that are just an amp and preamp in one box minus the tuner.

You can also buy separate amp, preamps and tuners. This gives you more versatility in upgrading. Separates usually use better components and are of higher power. They are expensive though.

For your budget, I would consider a 2ch receiver or integrated amp. This will allow you to purchase higher quality speakers. You could go the separate route if you go used, but that would be cutting it close.

chuckpumpkins
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
thnak you so much for your answer.
no im going to use it for vinyls only, and mp3s sometimes

blackraven
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
What ever you decide to buy, make sure it has a phono input. Not all receivers have them these days due to CD players and the digital age. Let us know what you decide to buy and how you like it.

If your looking for floor stander speakers check out www.audioadvisor.com and www.saturdayaudio.com

chuckpumpkins
04-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Thx,

I will surely let you know here or with a PM when I try what i will chose.

Thanks

chuck

basite
04-12-2009, 01:34 AM
for speakers, you could look at Monitor Audio. Their BR serie is very good for it's price.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

manlystanley
05-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi,

First time I post here. I have no amp, no speakers but only a good technics turntable. I would like to know what should I buy to use it with a budget around 850 $
I live in a place where i cant listen to it loud so i dont need something loud. Any advise on config that I should look for ? I am a bit confused with preamp/amp etc etc and I dont really want to spend 20 hours reading reviews and forums.
Help would be really appreciated.

Thx

Hello Mr. Pumpkins,
What I would do is:

--Go to some local audio stores and get some free demos. Make sure that they use a lower priced amp as many speakers are real sensitive on the amp used. For example, I've head that B&W 683's sound tremendous with a high powered amp, but are lacking if you use a less expensive one.

-- Then see if you can get a good deal from them and if not, look for deals on Craigslist, e-bay, and audiogon. So far I've got:

-- A Denon 687 for $50.
-- Four Klipsch in-wall R-5650-S for $75 each.
--Two Klipsch in-wall R-5650_W for $100 each.
-- A Pair of B&W 684's for $800.

I'm really pleased wth my setup. The only draw back is that there are *Tons* of people selling there old stuff for really high prices. So you need to shuffle through the chafe to find the diamonds.

Good hunting.

Best Regards,
Stan