Great show not marred by tragedy; Neko Case at the Keswick. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Great show not marred by tragedy; Neko Case at the Keswick.

Swish
04-11-2009, 03:50 PM
So my wife and I, along with our bffls, rode the 90 minutes to the N.E. corner of Philly to see one of our faves for the first time. I really like the Keswick, which is basically a smaller version of the Tower Theater but with much better, and free, parking nearby. We arrived early and hit the brew pub across the street for some decent food and pretty good beer.

The opening act, Crooked Fingers, came out right on schedule at 8 PM. They're led by Eric Bachmann, who was formerly in the unfortunately named Archers of Loaf. They did a nice job and the music was mellow indie sort of stuff, not much of a departure from the solo output of Neko, but certainly not too similar. I kind of liked this trio, and thought they were a nice lead-in for Ms. Case.

Neko appeared at about 9:30, dressed in jeans and a simple, sleeveless black top, red hair flowing. She started out with Maybe Sparrow from Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, then People Gotta Lotta Nerve from her new release Middle Cyclone. She had a nice backing band with stand-up bass, drummer who played most songs with brushes, guitar, and another who played some keyboards and banjo at times, plus her excellent backing singer, Kelly Hogan. She played about 5 different guitars too, using one on nearly every song.

One early highlight for me was the title track from Middle Cyclone and This Tomato Loves you, but I really got into it when she played her older stuff from Fox Confessor. My faves were Margaret vs. Pauline, That Teenage Feeling, and Star Witness of course.

I still like Blacklisted more than any of her records, and she fed my appetite with Deep Red Bells and I Wish I was the Moon. This was a great show overall and her voice, as great as it sounds on her records, is even better live. Miss her at your peril!

3-LockBox
04-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I thought you were going to report that in a temporary moment of fluster, she accidently dropped her pants...or something.

Kevio
04-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the review. She's coming to here in May. I love her work with the New Pronographers but I'm not familiar with her solo work. Sounds like I should go eh?

Swish
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the review. She's coming to here in May. I love her work with the New Pronographers but I'm not familiar with her solo work. Sounds like I should go eh?

...courtesy of Bobsticks.

bobsticks
04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
...courtesy of Bobsticks.

Hey, hey, hey!!!

...typical liberal Swish action...always quick to part with someone else's money.

Good thoughts though I preferred the Andrew Bird review a bit more.

Kevio
04-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm lost :(

Mr MidFi
04-13-2009, 05:38 AM
I really wanted to see this show too, but tix for the Chicago Theater sold out way too fast. I'm liking Neko's latest disc a lot, and I'm a big fan of Crooked Fingers' Red Devil Dawn album too.

Thanks for the review, Swish-Daddy. Once again, I'm jealous as hell.

Swish
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm lost :(

Bobsticks and I like to harass each other at every available opportunity, so you will see plenty of banter between us. As for his 'liberal' label, I'm pretty much the opposite. In other words, whatever bobsticks says, don't believe him. His a big fat liar. :D

Kevio
05-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Through the generosity of a well-connected friend, I got to see Neko Case last night at Chautauqua auditorium (http://www.chautauqua.com/).

My impression of Neko is that she's a dog-loving pothead lesbian. I have evidence for only dog-loving - she bragged that it was on their rider.

Her band was good with some transcendent work on pedal steel and some really musical backing vocals. But to hell with all that, I wanted to hear more Neko, less band.

Which brings us to the sound. Chautauqua has renown and forgiving acoustics. It is not difficult to get good sound in there. There was a bout or two of feedback. The sound was not awful but it was often difficult to understand the lyrics. The lyrics are worth hearing. Neko does not mumble. Neko hits all the notes with confidence. Neko has an amazing voice. The drummer was playing gently. There is no reason she should be buried.

I don't know if it is an intentional aesthetic but the show and her new album are thigh deep in reverberation. Compare how her voice is treated on Challengers (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:h9foxz9gldse) vs. Middle Cyclone (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hvfyxztkldte). I prefer the former. What we got last night was the latter plus the natural reverb from the hall. Too much.

I really love her new material. The did a couple covers too: Sparks and Harry Nilsson. I want to see her do a whole album of Nilsson material.

3-LockBox
05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
The did a couple covers too: Sparks and Harry Nilsson. I want to see her do a whole album of Nilsson material.

That sounds like a good idea actually.

I remember when Willie Nelson did a few songs of Paul Simon's on an album from way back, and I told a buddy of mine that the Nelson/Simon combo just seemed to have a synergy to it.

Swish
05-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Through the generosity of a well-connected friend, I got to see Neko Case last night at Chautauqua auditorium (http://www.chautauqua.com/).

My impression of Neko is that she's a dog-loving pothead lesbian. I have evidence for only dog-loving - she bragged that it was on their rider.

Her band was good with some transcendent work on pedal steel and some really musical backing vocals. But to hell with all that, I wanted to hear more Neko, less band.

Which brings us to the sound. Chautauqua has renown and forgiving acoustics. It is not difficult to get good sound in there. There was a bout or two of feedback. The sound was not awful but it was often difficult to understand the lyrics. The lyrics are worth hearing. Neko does not mumble. Neko hits all the notes with confidence. Neko has an amazing voice. The drummer was playing gently. There is no reason she should be buried.

I don't know if it is an intentional aesthetic but the show and her new album are thigh deep in reverberation. Compare how her voice is treated on Challengers (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:h9foxz9gldse) vs. Middle Cyclone (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hvfyxztkldte). I prefer the former. What we got last night was the latter plus the natural reverb from the hall. Too much.

I really love her new material. The did a couple covers too: Sparks and Harry Nilsson. I want to see her do a whole album of Nilsson material.

She did do that Sparks tune “Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth” though. Sounds like you had a rather middling experience with the sound. I didn't notice that at all during the Keswick show. It's a theater with overall good acoustics, and I can't recall ever having any sound issues there before, and I've prolly seen a dozen shows there.

Amazing voice? Without a doubt. I'd have trouble thinking of another female voice that's any better, at least in her generation.

Swish

Kevio
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Here, let me help you with your brain lock:
Beth Orton
Norah Jones
Nelly Furtado
Joss Stone
Allison Krause
Sophie Barker - Zero 7
everyone in The Wailin' Jennys
Vienna Teng
Imogen Heap

bobsticks
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Bobsticks and I like to harass each other at every available opportunity, so you will see plenty of banter between us. As for his 'liberal' label, I'm pretty much the opposite. In other words, whatever bobsticks says, don't believe him. His a big fat liar. :D

Brave smack talk for someone that might be chillin' with me in the Windy City...might find yoself in the Ida B. or Berwyn...

Swish
06-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Here, let me help you with your brain lock:
Beth Orton
Norah Jones
Nelly Furtado
Joss Stone
Allison Krause
Sophie Barker - Zero 7
everyone in The Wailin' Jennys
Vienna Teng
Imogen Heap

Beth Orton, Norah Jones, Joss Stone, Imogen Heap, NELLY FRICKIN;' FURTADO? All are reasonably talented ladies, but none can hang with Neko, vocally or otherwise. No effin way. Allison Krauss (no e at the end and a double 's', and I should know :) ) is certainly a fantastic vocalist and talent, but in a different genre., so I'm not going there. Had you said k.d. lang or Karin Bergquist, I might have backed off my initial statement. I don't know enuf about Sophi, Vienna or The Wailin' Jennys to comment.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous it may be. :cornut:

Swish
06-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Brave smack talk for someone that might be chillin' with me in the Windy City...might find yoself in the Ida B. or Berwyn...

...arrival, although Windy City politics leave little to the imagination.

Kevio
06-01-2009, 05:46 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how ridiculous it may be. :cornut:There's no arguing taste. Peace :cornut:

Swish
06-01-2009, 06:34 AM
There's no arguing taste. Peace :cornut:

...of the skewering. There's nothing wrong with those other ladies, although I do believe Norah Jones is WAY overrated and Furtado is pretty much a rookie.

Kevio
06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
So you would like to try and argue?

Yes, Norah Jones is overrated. The number of albums she's sold cannot possibly be in proportion to her talent. She does have talent too. She became a phenomenon. People tend to focus on one or the other of those points. I personally like the fact she could have gotten swept away by her popularity. Instead she takes her time and gets focused on what she wants to do artistically, wears wigs and plays in a NY rock band and puts out her next record on her own timeline. Much poise and grace. I'm really impressed by that.

I'm not actually a Nell Furtado fan. I will not argue with you about Nelly. If you'd like, I'll go back and edit my post. I can fix my spelling error while I'm there. Anything else I can do to help?

Swish
06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
So you would like to try and argue?

Yes, Norah Jones is overrated. The number of albums she's sold cannot possibly be in proportion to her talent. She does have talent too. She became a phenomenon. People tend to focus on one or the other of those points. I personally like the fact she could have gotten swept away by her popularity. Instead she takes her time and gets focused on what she wants to do artistically, wears wigs and plays in a NY rock band and puts out her next record on her own timeline. Much poise and grace. I'm really impressed by that.

I'm not actually a Nell Furtado fan. I will not argue with you about Nelly. If you'd like, I'll go back and edit my post. I can fix my spelling error while I'm there. Anything else I can do to help?

Nelly had a cutesy hit and her voice is charming, but I would never place her is a league with Neko. As for the spelling error, check your PM lol!

02audionoob
06-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Neko has an amazing voice, but it makes me hear sameness, album after album, for some reason. If it was possible to single out a "best" voice of her generation, I give her credit for being a legitimate contender. But when I want to listen to a Neko album I find it makes no difference which one.

By the way...Can we throw Shelby Lynne's hat into this ring?

Swish
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Neko has an amazing voice, but it makes me hear sameness, album after album, for some reason. If it was possible to single out a "best" voice of her generation, I give her credit for being a legitimate contender. But when I want to listen to a Neko album I find it makes no difference which one.

By the way...Can we throw Shelby Lynne's hat into this ring?

I mean, their voice is what makes them unique and if they're the lead singer on each track, what's to make them sound different? Not many switch genres in the midst of a record, so I'm just not sure I can agree with you. Also, I don't think her latest, Middle Cyclone, is anything like my favorite, Blacklisted. The former is a little too commercial for me.

Finch Platte
06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I mean, their voice is what makes them unique and if they're the lead singer on each tract, what's to make them sound different? Not many switch genres in the midst of a record, so I'm just not sure I can agree with you. Also, I don't think her latest, Middle Cyclone, is anything like my favorite, Blacklisted. The former is a little too commercial for me.

Tract?!? As in huge tracts of land? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk)

Wondering,

fp

Swish
06-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Tract?!? As in huge tracts of land? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk)

Wondering,

fp

...picking on my minor typo, but it was worth it. "What, the curtains?" Funny as all he<a>ll.