Speaker Stand [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stand

clavinova
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
I am considering buy a pair of stand for my rear speakers. They are Wafferdale WH-2MMP Wide-Dispersion Satellite Speakers. The speaker stand I like is following,

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=acc_stand&item=s1ef24st

It has a flat platform to place rear speaker on. I am wondering how can I fix the speaker on that platform?

Thanks,
Clavinova

Woochifer
03-19-2004, 11:58 AM
That particular model won't work because 24" is way too low for a surround speaker. If the speaker weighs less than 10 lbs., then you can go with one of the telescoping speaker stands that Sanus also makes, which I believe extend up to 40" in height. If you got a heavy speaker, then you'll need to look for something at least 36" in height to get the tweeters sufficiently above ear level.

As for fixing the speakers to the stands, you can go with adhesive neoprene pads, blue-tak, or just drill the speakers into the top plate (a lot of them have drill holes for this purpose). I did that with a previous pair of speakers using wood screws with nylon washers to isolate the speakers from the stand.

hmmmm
03-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I just finished making my own pair of speaker stands this morning. They actually look great and passed the wife factor! Anyway, as soon as I put them out my fat cat jumped up on one and was in heaven. He thinks I made them for him. Now, my wife won't let me shoot him, so I was wondering if velcroing the speakers to the stand would be a good option instead of screwing them in. I just don't want to screw my speakers! I have blue-tak but didn't know if it would hold up to his weight as well as a lot of velcro. He's a maniac.
I thought about globbing blu-tak at the base of the stand though to keep it in place (they're not on carpet). The stands have two pvc pipes filled with sand and are fairly heavy but I'm still worried about that fat cat tipping them over. Any thoughts?

agtpunx40
03-21-2004, 06:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of some reasonably priced stands for larger surrounds. I have a pair of full size bookshelves that I'm using for surrounds, but the only high but reasonably large stands I've seen are more than I can pay at the moment. What do people here use?