Great Show Marred by Tragedy: Andrew Bird at the Chicago Civic Opera House [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Great Show Marred by Tragedy: Andrew Bird at the Chicago Civic Opera House

Mr MidFi
04-10-2009, 06:17 AM
What an unusual night at the opera.

My wife, daughter and I went to see Chicago’s native son, Andrew Bird, at the beautiful Chicago Civic Opera House last night. And for most of the show, it was a magical evening…for us, the for the audience, and for Bird himself. “I always wanted to play here,” he said, recalling how he used to date a girl in the Lyric Opera chorus and spent plenty of time there in his past. “But I never thought I could.”

Song after song, Bird created intricate sonic tapestries using multiple instruments and a battery of digital loop sequencers. Loops of plucked violin were then augmented with strummed violin, then swooping bowed violin melodies, then he would add whistling figures, then glockenspiel counterpoint, and finally guitar and voice. He became a symphony of himself, backed by an actual 3-piece band on drums, bass and guitar.

After finishing a breath-taking rendition of “Scythian Empire,” Bird launched into a riveting and crowd-pleasing finale with arguably his best-loved song, “Fake Palindromes”. Everyone was completely into it; Bird, the band, the crowd, even the ushers. Without question, the highlight of the show. And then, the unthinkable happened.

First, it became clear that Bird had lost track of the lyrics for the second verse of the song. He got a little flustered, and started to flail around a bit with his arms. And just like that…he accidentally dropped his beloved violin. And it broke in two, right there on the stage floor. And everyone in the house stopped and gasped as one. No one knew what to do.

Slowly, Bird bent down and gently lifted the pieces of broken violin and set them delicately back down in the case. “It looks pretty bad,” said Bird, visibly shaken. In an instant, he had gone from Master Musician making a triumphant homecoming in a gilded venue… to scared little boy who had just wet his pants at his first piano recital. I honestly thought he might vomit right then and there.

He and the band soldiered on for 3 more songs, and the appreciative crowd gave him standing ovations. But the spell had been broken. We all just felt so badly for the guy. He really deserved better than this. It was obvious to even a casual observer that this man LOVED that instrument, truly deeply and genuinely. And he killed it dead, right there in front of our eyes. Right at the moment of what should have been his greatest triumph.

ForeverAutumn
04-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Oh my god! That's horrible!

We saw Bird here last Friday night and he was incredible! Since his music is kind of on the mellow side, we were curious about what kind of show he was going to put on and really weren't expecting the high energy, fast paced, show that he is. His brilliance as a musician truly shines through live. And I loved that none of his songs sounded like they do on his CDs. If I didn't know the lyrics to Opposite Day, I'm not sure that I would have recognized the live rendition at all. And I agree that Fake Palindromes was the highlight of a show full of highlights.

Other highlights of the Toronto show included Happy Birthday from The Mysterious Production of Eggs. A song that he said they rarely perform live but he was just in the mood to play it. And Tables and Chairs. When he sang about the Dancing Bears and Snacks I got chills. I soooooo love those lyrics and it was a real treat for me to hear them live.

But back to his lovely broken violin. What a tragedy for him! I can just imagine how heartbroken he must be. I'm sure that his stomach was in knots and I wouldn't be surprised if he did throw up after the show. A loved musical instrument is an extension of a musician's heart. And a break or damage to that beloved instrument is like losing your best friend. I noticed a big chunk chipped out of the head of my favourite guitar last week and felt sick over it, so I can only imagine how watching his violin break in two must have felt. I'm sure that he was doing everything in his power not to cry. The poor guy!

Ex Lion Tamer
04-10-2009, 08:47 AM
To characterize this as a tragedy is wrong. It's a freakin' violin! Take a look at some of the pictures from Italy, or read about the Los Angeles Angels pitcher killed in a car accident the night of his major league debut; these are tragedies. This is nothing more than an unfortunate incident.

When I opened this thread I expected to read about a death related to this show, to read that his instrument fell and broke, I guess it was a releif.

I think you should chose your words more carefully. Really we all should, the way we throw around words like heroic, and tragic does a disservice to the incidents and people who really deserve these descriptors.

Sorry for the rant - just a pet peave of mine.

Finch Platte
04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
To characterize this as a tragedy is wrong. It's a freakin' violin! Take a look at some of the pictures from Italy, or read about the Los Angeles Angels pitcher killed in a car accident the night of his major league debut; these are tragedies. This is nothing more than an unfortunate incident.

When I opened this thread I expected to read about a death related to this show, to read that his instrument fell and broke, I guess it was a releif.

I think you should chose your words more carefully. Really we all should, the way we throw around words like heroic, and tragic does a disservice to the incidents and people who really deserve these descriptors.

Sorry for the rant - just a pet peave of mine.

I agree with your rant, but aside from the title, I appreciated the write up!

Mr MidFi
04-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Lighten up, Francis.

(Wrong! To characterize me as Francis is wrong, when my name is actually Mark! You should know better! Shame on you!)

Troy
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Lighten up, Francis.

Hilarious.

bobsticks
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey Tamer,

While I agree that words get bandied about and, in this case, may dispell the true meaning in relation to human suffering, anyone with experience with any instruments above the Sears catalog level will tell you that each is unique and special. No doubt a new instrument may open new doors of creativity for Mr. Bird but it's also likely that a few will close.

No biggie...I'm just sayin'....

---sticks

Slosh
04-11-2009, 05:16 AM
I for one thought that was a very well-written review.
He and the band soldiered on for 3 more songs, and the appreciative crowd gave him standing ovations.NP: Andrew Bird - Soldier On

Swish
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
What an unusual night at the opera.

My wife, daughter and I went to see Chicago’s native son, Andrew Bird, at the beautiful Chicago Civic Opera House last night. And for most of the show, it was a magical evening…for us, the for the audience, and for Bird himself. “I always wanted to play here,” he said, recalling how he used to date a girl in the Lyric Opera chorus and spent plenty of time there in his past. “But I never thought I could.”

Song after song, Bird created intricate sonic tapestries using multiple instruments and a battery of digital loop sequencers. Loops of plucked violin were then augmented with strummed violin, then swooping bowed violin melodies, then he would add whistling figures, then glockenspiel counterpoint, and finally guitar and voice. He became a symphony of himself, backed by an actual 3-piece band on drums, bass and guitar.

After finishing a breath-taking rendition of “Scythian Empire,” Bird launched into a riveting and crowd-pleasing finale with arguably his best-loved song, “Fake Palindromes”. Everyone was completely into it; Bird, the band, the crowd, even the ushers. Without question, the highlight of the show. And then, the unthinkable happened.

First, it became clear that Bird had lost track of the lyrics for the second verse of the song. He got a little flustered, and started to flail around a bit with his arms. And just like that…he accidentally dropped his beloved violin. And it broke in two, right there on the stage floor. And everyone in the house stopped and gasped as one. No one knew what to do.

Slowly, Bird bent down and gently lifted the pieces of broken violin and set them delicately back down in the case. “It looks pretty bad,” said Bird, visibly shaken. In an instant, he had gone from Master Musician making a triumphant homecoming in a gilded venue… to scared little boy who had just wet his pants at his first piano recital. I honestly thought he might vomit right then and there.

He and the band soldiered on for 3 more songs, and the appreciative crowd gave him standing ovations. But the spell had been broken. We all just felt so badly for the guy. He really deserved better than this. It was obvious to even a casual observer that this man LOVED that instrument, truly deeply and genuinely. And he killed it dead, right there in front of our eyes. Right at the moment of what should have been his greatest triumph.

I was thinking someone died or was killed, so I was actually relieved when I read that it was only the violin that met an untimely demise. I'm not going to chastise you for it, but I did feel the need to offer my two cents.

jonnyhambone
04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
So, I saw him last night in Mpls. There was a tragi-comedy there of epic proportions...I didn't have tix and it was very sold-out, though I'd been promised free tix by a friend who does lights for the theatre. Well, the tix didn't come through 'cuz Andrew took all the extra ones the house holds for his guest list. Fine, that was my tragedy...and I don't use that word lightly. My pregnant wife and I still showed up with high hopes and, sure enough, my connection let us sit on the floor backstage to watch...that was the funny part.
Great show! He did a good mix with the majority from his new one. Incredible band and watching him manuever the loops and pedals was really stunning. Armchairs was a highlight (from his last album) as well as the already mentioned Scythian Empire and Fake Palindromes. My butt was sore but ears were happy.

oh, his violin is apparently fine...he broke the neck off but it was fixable and only has superficial lasting damage.

BarryL
04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
If he tours with only one violin then he's a moron. Chances are a new song will emerge making fun of his tragedy.

The man must spend all his spare time plucking riffs.

I played some A Bird for my daughter off Facebook. She's been playing the violin for two years. She thought he was cool and said that playing the violin like a guitar is VERY difficult. She also liked that he could play and sing at the same time, but then realized that this wasn't so difficult if you didn't stick the violin under your chin, which he doesn't do. To understand the Bird you have to see him live, or at least see how he plays his stuff live via youtube. Good show in Toronto, where he also forgot the lyrics to songs a few times and had to start songs over on more than one occasion. Still, the audience had some fun with it and being the fans that they were, it just added to the charm.

His band looked pretty geeky though, what with argyle sweaters and matching ties. I guess that was to make him look less geeky than them.