Digital Input not working on my Denon 3803 - help needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital Input not working on my Denon 3803 - help needed

flafonta
03-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi,

I just got a brand new Denon 3803 receiver, and I hooked it up to all my components.

However, the digital input does not appear to work.

I have a Sony DVP-NS715P DVD player. I first tried the Digital Coax with an S-Video cable, but I get no sound. I also just bought a good optical cable and tried it, same result, no sound, the receiver does not detect the signal.

I also have an HDTV receiver, with both digital Coax and Optical output. I tried again both an S-Video cable and the optical output, both failed :confused:

I tried a few different recent movies with Dolby Digital output, no difference. My DVD player displays the Dolby Digital symbol while playing these movies.

I did assigned the proper digital input in the setup.

For both the DVD player and the HDTV receiver, if I hook up the regular RCA audio cables, it works fine in 2-ch stereo.

Any idea? Is my receiver bad or I am not setting this up properly?

Thanks!

mtrycraft
03-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I just got a brand new Denon 3803 receiver, and I hooked it up to all my components.

However, the digital input does not appear to work.

I have a Sony DVP-NS715P DVD player. I first tried the Digital Coax with an S-Video cable, but I get no sound. I also just bought a good optical cable and tried it, same result, no sound, the receiver does not detect the signal.

I also have an HDTV receiver, with both digital Coax and Optical output. I tried again both an S-Video cable and the optical output, both failed :confused:

I tried a few different recent movies with Dolby Digital output, no difference. My DVD player displays the Dolby Digital symbol while playing these movies.

I did assigned the proper digital input in the setup.

For both the DVD player and the HDTV receiver, if I hook up the regular RCA audio cables, it works fine in 2-ch stereo.

Any idea? Is my receiver bad or I am not setting this up properly?

Thanks!

You should review your manual as I doubt it is anything more than what you may have missed.

markw
03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Just for the heck of it, check the settings on the DVD player.

sslabs
03-18-2004, 09:58 PM
If you've already been using your Sony with the digital outs previous to getting this receiver then please ingnore the following comment.

Back in 2000 being fairly new to DVD and I guess back in 2000 a lot of people were new to it, I nearly pulled out all of my hair with the same problem.

Of course much later (with a lot less hair) I realized that when I went into the DVD player menu, the digital outputs were switched to -OFF- If I recall correctly, there wasn't an option to turn off the d-outs per say, it was a no DD or DTS out type of option.

Problem solved.

My hair did grow back by the way.

- Tony

www.StrangerSoundLabs.com

flafonta
03-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks Tony, that was my problem!!!!

There was a very obscur menu deep down the settings of my DVD player that was turning off all digital outputs.

Now it works!

Thanks!

omikey
03-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Hi,

Now that you have your DVD working, and I'm sure have all the audio you need :-)

I'm on the verge of getting that same Denon ...... How are you liking it ?
What don't you like about it ?

What type of speakers do you have connected to it ?

Thanks,
Mike

flafonta
03-19-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm on the verge of getting that same Denon ...... How are you liking it ?
What don't you like about it ?

What type of speakers do you have connected to it ?

Thanks,
Mike

My Speakers are
- Rocket 550s (front), Rocket 200 (center), Energy 3.1e (back), and a delicate SVS PB2+ sub :)

I have not had enough time to listen to it properly yet to comment a lot on the sound quality.

Compared to my 10 year old 2ch Denon receiver (2x80W), the sound appears to be more clear and detailed.

It is a complex box to connect and setup, but this is my first HT receiver.

I was a little surprised about the sound level at 0DB on the volume, it appeared not very loud. But I will play with the settings more, every thing I have read said it has enough power to cause you ear pain, so there should be plenty.

I will watch T3 in a few minutes. :)

Note that I might exchange it for a 3805 in a few days if I can get a decent price on it. I paid my 3803 $809 + tax at a local store, and I think I can get a 3805 for about $1,000 + tax.

Francois

omikey
03-20-2004, 05:06 AM
My Speakers are
- Rocket 550s (front), Rocket 200 (center), Energy 3.1e (back), and a delicate SVS PB2+ sub :)

I have not had enough time to listen to it properly yet to comment a lot on the sound quality.

Compared to my 10 year old 2ch Denon receiver (2x80W), the sound appears to be more clear and detailed.

It is a complex box to connect and setup, but this is my first HT receiver.

I was a little surprised about the sound level at 0DB on the volume, it appeared not very loud. But I will play with the settings more, every thing I have read said it has enough power to cause you ear pain, so there should be plenty.

I will watch T3 in a few minutes. :)

Note that I might exchange it for a 3805 in a few days if I can get a decent price on it. I paid my 3803 $809 + tax at a local store, and I think I can get a 3805 for about $1,000 + tax.

Francois
VERY SWEET setup ....
They are asking $899 for the 3803 at Tweeter, and I was thinking that I should be able to get it for 800. I'm still working on the entire pkg price, going in today to see if we can reach terms.

I'd love to have that 3805 but just don't want to spend the extra 200.

Enjoy :-) and I know you will !!!!!!!!!

trauski
03-22-2004, 11:48 AM
regarding speakers not hurting your ears try checking the speaker output selections. if i remember correctly you can set them up a lot hotter than they come.on my old denon it came at 0 for speaker output with max of 12. i set all to 12 except sub and it rocks. i think you have to set each mode as stereo is different than say 5.1 i dont have it maxed in 5.1. but the extra boost in stereo helped