Blu Ray music videos a waste of money ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray music videos a waste of money ?

OzzieAudiophile
04-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Personally I see it a waste of money to purchase music concerts on Blu Ray, in the ideal
listening environment you would want the format of the music to be on SACD and coming
from 2-channel.

If you would want to really set up a perfect listening environment, you would have no
light at all in the room, hence no need to watch anything. Have your eyes closed, chill
back on your favourite couch or chair, you'd be suprised how much you can pick up
from having your eyes closed.

Are you watching a movie ? or listening to music ? trying to enjoy the best of both worlds
at the same time ? it's a 'little' distracting at the very least. If you have no problems with
that they by all means make sure the BR music vid has HD Master Audio or True HD
format(s), otherwise it's just DTS which is a compressed format, you'll want lossless.

The selection of them are not that high at the moment, maybe ZZ Top out of the ones
I've seen I may rent out.

Sure if it's HD Master Audio etc, yes it has to sound good. Perhaps you can still
switch off the screen and enjoy the audio. Pretty much just as good as a live recorded
concert put onto SACD.

Your thoughts...

Feanor
04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Personally I see it a waste of money to purchase music concerts on Blu Ray, in the ideal listening environment you would want the format of the music to be on SACD and coming from 2-channel.
Are you watching a movie ? or listening to music ? trying to enjoy the best of both worlds at the same time ? it's a 'little' distracting at the very least. If you have no problems with that they by all means make sure the BR music vid has HD Master Audio or True HD
format(s), otherwise it's just DTS which is a compressed format, you'll want lossless.
Your thoughts...

Ozzie,

Sure as heck, when I want to enjoy opera, I want "the best of both worlds at the same time". In fact for me opera is a true audio-visual form and I don't really enjoy the music alone. Caveat: when I know a particular opera really well, (which is not the case with most), then I can tolerate just music, otherwise I gotta have both.

I'm looking forward to getting a few of my favorite operas in Blu-ray, such as

Mr Peabody
04-05-2009, 01:30 PM
For me personally the mind set is different for each thing. If I'm going to sit back and listen to an album it will be on my 2 channel system but i still enjoy some music videos. I've got a Jazz sampler and one other concert on Blu and both sound very good. I think the brain can process both audio and video, if the better audio and effects weren't perceived surround sound wouldn't have ever taken off. I do agree though that when watching a music video there is probably too much going on for us to do critical listening or engaging in the music the way we would in our favorite listening chair with the lights down low just taking in the audio.

If you check around there's a pretty good amount of music videos on Blu. I've seen discs by Mariah Carey, Chicago/Earth, Wind & Fire, John Maher, Led Zepplin, The Who and Blue Man Group. If you've never seen Blue Man Group that Blu disc is highly entertaining and this is one where the video is a must, it's an audio/video event.

02audionoob
04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
It's a video thing to me. I definitely want Blu Ray if I can get it.

OzzieAudiophile
04-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi yes it's not realyl an easy one, well easy to give your own perspective.

I guess when you go and see a concert, you're not really going to only hear what they
sound like live. You want to visualise the entire performance of the stooges on the stage.
Maybe if you're observant enough find out if they are lip-synching :10:

At least most of you guys are blessed with a far greater choice/selection of
Blu-Ray music vids, and discs than what I can get in Western Australia. My PS3 is
locked down to region 2 only (Australia/Oceanic/Asia only), so it's a waste of money
for me to buy anything overseas.

What I do fear is re-buying most of my DVD collection again as Blu Ray :mad2:

Mr Peabody
04-06-2009, 05:13 AM
You can buy Within Temptations, Black Symphony.

BadAssJazz
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, I want to see and hear Sade:Live on Blu Ray, if it ever gets released. And no, I'm not closing my eyes, because she is a feast for the senses, and I want to engage as many of them as is humanly possible.

pixelthis
04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, I want to see and hear Sade:Live on Blu Ray, if it ever gets released. And no, I'm not closing my eyes, because she is a feast for the senses, and I want to engage as many of them as is humanly possible.

Agreed, I Have everything she ever did.
As for the "waste" part, I will concede your point if you can tell any difference
between SACD and the stellar 2 channel sound on most BLU discs.
The medium was made for music video, IMHO.
I currently have three and have listened to four, ALL have been amazing , really:1:

pixelthis
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
THEY also sound good on a set of "cans".:1:

OzzieAudiophile
04-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow Hitler the music-buff :5:

There's a demotivational poster website which shows a photo of him having a drink
at a pub, the caption on the bottom of the photo is gold

:hand:

By the way has anyone taken a look and listen of any of the Alexander Jero

"Music Experience in 3-Dimensional Sound Reality" on Blu-Ray ? series ?

There are 6 in the series, are they any good ?

Feanor
04-07-2009, 06:36 AM

At least most of you guys are blessed with a far greater choice/selection of
Blu-Ray music vids, and discs than what I can get in Western Australia. My PS3 is locked down to region 2 only (Australia/Oceanic/Asia only), so it's a waste of money for me to buy anything overseas.

The whole regionalization scheme for DVDs and Blu-ray is one of the most flagrant and egregeous abuses of the consumer that I can bring to mind -- far worse than the copy protection/DRM schemes that at least have some basis in fairness. Regionalization, on the other hand, has not purpose at all except to manipulate consumer access for the benefit of the distributors.

The Oppo DV-980H I bought has "secret" access codes that permit the user to change the Region code, including to Region 0, that is, no regionalization. I don't know about other Oppo models. In fact, when I went to try this on the my player, which I order from the US for delivery to me in Canada, I discovered that it was already set to Region 0.

OzzieAudiophile
04-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Here here.

Not to mention that 99% of all DVDs that are released have nearly no deleted scenes,
not digitally remastered, next to no commentary, bugger all extras. Then they have to
re-release it 10 more times. These companies are only good to rip off the customer.

If I were to open one of those distribution companies, I'd make them much cheaper
and have everything on it the first time, it would force these cheapskates to make it
much more value for money for the consumer.

I don't blame bootleggers etc because the first DVD release is barely any
better quality than those.

How many versions do you need to release Mr Lucas ?

johnny p
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
The audio and video improvements in "The Last Waltz" are worth every penny....

The wife and I usually keep the lights out, and spin some music after watching a movie to wind things down....... usually some nice jazz etc.

Unfortunately most of the tree hugging hippie crap I listen to won't make it to blu-ray anytime soon.

Mr Peabody
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm OK after all. BAJazz, finally some one besides myself that finds Sade captivating. I saw her concert on PBS years ago. She didn't move around the stage much but for some reason i couldn't take my eyes off her. Her dark hair was down and very long, she wore a long clinging skirt and her mid section was bare.

Jane Monheit is on my BR Jazz sampler and she keeps your attention as well.

pixelthis
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm OK after all. BAJazz, finally some one besides myself that finds Sade captivating. I saw her concert on PBS years ago. She didn't move around the stage much but for some reason i couldn't take my eyes off her. Her dark hair was down and very long, she wore a long clinging skirt and her mid section was bare.

Jane Monheit is on my BR Jazz sampler and she keeps your attention as well.

THAT is probably her first live concert video, which is out on DVD (SADE live).
She also has a collection of her music vids, and another concert vid.
All must haves.
There is a disc you keep in your player, her collection of videos stayed in my laserdisc
player as the default, got me through the ninties.:1:

OzzieAudiophile
04-08-2009, 12:58 AM
That Sade is a smooth operator.

BadAssJazz
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Nope, nothing wrong with you at all.

That PBS special would probably be Sade: Live, which I was referring to in my first post. Obviously I'd discovered Sade long before that concert, but that concert DVD is easily one of my favorites. She's definitely the Sweetest Taboo (arriving at about the 34 second mark)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWy3X7f4MyY&feature=related

And you're right about Jane Monheit. Without even singing a note, the raven hair and misty eyes just nail you. Don't bother crossing yourself or ducking for cover, that is some serious voodoo she is working on you! Spellbound.

bobsticks
05-23-2009, 03:38 PM
That Sade is a smooth operator.

This is so true.

It has been my experience that, at least for multi-channel formats, the Blu-Ray product has been superlative. For two-channel listening perhaps not such an advance...

N. Abstentia
05-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Personally I see it a waste of money to purchase music concerts on Blu Ray, in the ideal
listening environment you would want the format of the music to be on SACD and coming
from 2-channel.

Let's see here, let me look at my BluRay concerts....we have:

Rush- Snakes & Arrows Live
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City
Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scotts
The Who Live At Kilburn
David Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall

So how many of those are available on SACD? OH yeah...none.

Mr Peabody
05-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Did I already post here that last year's Return To Forever tour will be hitting on Blu?

pixelthis
05-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Let's see here, let me look at my BluRay concerts....we have:

Rush- Snakes & Arrows Live
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City
Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scotts
The Who Live At Kilburn
David Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall

So how many of those are available on SACD? OH yeah...none.

Dave Matthews is teh only one we have in common, an outstanding disc.
SO basically the OP says that if you dont listen to music in the dark in two channel you're wasting your time. Silly silly boy.
ALL of my Blu discs are outstanding in both sound and video appeal(96khz).
IF you can tell the diff between between one and SACD you are either a german shepard
or lying. Except that maybe BLU is better.
As for the whole music video thing, its completely different from two channel HIFI listening.
I have a collection of music videos I have gotten from various places(newsgroups, etc) and
a huge collection of concerts and video compliations on DVD, everything from the Bangles
to ANITA bAKER, to Fourplay.
There is nothing better than putting in the Fourplay concert and chillin with it.
Is it "state of the art"?
WHO CARES.
For what it is its great.
Comparing it to high end audio is like comparing a Pontiac G3 to a space shuttle ,
apples and oranges.:1: