Speaker Stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stands

ed123
03-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Do Speaker Stands Really Improve Sound?

audio amateur
03-29-2009, 08:30 AM
No, correct speaker placement does, and this requires stands if you have small speakers.

Jimmy C
03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Do Speaker Stands Really Improve Sound?

...on this one.

A bit over a decade ago, I was using Paradigm Titans with the least-expensive Premier (particle beard, IIRC) stands. Then went to a better stand-mount, and the Premier J-60s, filled with Playsand. Just for fun, I put one Titan atop the new support, one on the old. The filled metal stand definitely sounded tighter. Feeling the two different Premiers while music is playing, there was a big vibration in the chipboard, the filled metal was much deader. I suppose that means energy from the speaker (mostly woofer) is being wasted, the speaker not being allowed to do entirely what it's supposed to. I wouldn't call it a HUGE difference in the realm of things, but I wouldn't say NO difference either.

Some say metal stands ring, Possible, I don't notice any.

I'm supposed to be using the JMR "Magic Stands", improves bass, smooths mids... acts as a Helmholz (sp?) resonator.

I do, however, believe placement (as AA stated) will make MUCH more of a difference.

audio amateur
03-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure why you disagree, Jimmy, perhaps my sentence wasn't clear.
Stands are essential for correct speaker placement, I think no one will argue with that. This means that if you don't have floorstanding speakers, they are pretty much necessary.

As for differences between stands, well, I personally have had the experience of hearing a major difference between the use of two different stands. Neither of them were filled with anything. Mounted on them were Kef iQ3's. It was really surprising.

Jimmy C
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure why you disagree, Jimmy, perhaps my sentence wasn't clear.
Stands are essential for correct speaker placement, I think no one will argue with that. This means that if you don't have floorstanding speakers, they are pretty much necessary.

As for differences between stands, well, I personally have had the experience of hearing a major difference between the use of two different stands. Neither of them were filled with anything. Mounted on them were Kef iQ3's. It was really surprising.

...did I read into it too much? Or I didn't read at all?

Do DIFFERENT speaker stands improve sound... that's what went through my mind.

Interesting...

hydroman
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
IF the stands are heavy duty and have spikes to prevent transmitting bass to the floor.

Like above, most of the benefit is getting the tweeters aimed at your ear -level when sitting/listening.

hifitommy
04-06-2009, 06:53 PM
that given identical placement, different stands will sound different, some better than others. mass loading via sand or lead shot will likely improve a given stand. i will even give that certain designs will do better than others. sound anchors seem to have a rep like that.

JoeE SP9
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
You guys should listen to hifitommy on this. I've heard what he's talking about on more small boxes and their stands than I care to remember. Decent stands can cost almost as much as the speakers.

Kevio
04-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm totally prepared to believe that stands will make a noticeable difference in sound. Lots of subtle things change what you hear. Determining whether the difference is "significant" or "better" will be the rub.

I'll make a counter bet/claim that leather vs. cloth sofa makes a bigger difference than the stands.

hifitommy
04-07-2009, 05:55 PM
that the leather one costs more and the cloth one sounds better in the room.

as for stands, only if the change in sound justifies the price is it worth more. thats it with wire, or any other component.

Kevio
04-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Leather is stain resistant too.

hifitommy
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
fairly stain resistant you know.