Most overrated musician of all time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated musician of all time

elapsed
03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Eric Clapton.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy much of his music, but I just don't understand what all the hype is. One of the greatest guitar players of all time, really?

cheers,
elapsed

Auricauricle
03-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Maybe I'm just jealous of this guy's talent and his hair....I donno, whaddya think: Andre Rieu, anyone? The Lawrence Welk of the New Era?

RoadRunner6
03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, as much as I can listen to Cream's version of Crossroads over and over, I have thought many times that he just can't play the blues with soul.

However, one of the worst guitar player on this or any other planet has to be Willie Nelson. I like quite a bit of his stuff but he should have left the guitar playing to his backup boys.

This will bring many youngsters to trashing talking about me since he is considered a rock-n-roll icon by the younger crowd .......... Bo Diddley! He was not much more than a side performer in his days. Yeah, I know, everyone under the sun credited him with influencing them. Buddy Holly copied his style in Not Fade Away. Bo had an original style but no king of guitar.

What about Bob Dylan on the harmonica. I'm a big Dylan fan but oh so bad on that mouth organ!

RR6 :19:

Auricauricle
03-28-2009, 05:31 PM
P.I.T....? Any takers?

JohnMichael
03-28-2009, 06:36 PM
P.I.T....? Any takers?

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky should not be included in this thread.

JoeE SP9
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I humbly submit Kenny G. for your consideration. His tone sounds to me like he's constipated. Add the worst taste in music I've ever heard and you have a worthy contestant.
The Jonas Brothers are playing on SNL as I'm writing this. Am I missing something? I don't get it/them. Put them down as contenders.

Auricauricle

PIT? Wassa' matter you? Me like them cannon go boom! Seriously, the 1812 got me interested in his other work. You were kidding?

RoadRunner6
03-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I humbly submit Kenny G. for your consideration.

Soft jazz/elevator music.

RGA
03-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Kenny G plays 5 notes and he plays all five perfectly - his music puts me to sleep - but that ain't so bad if you want to be put to sleep - and strangely it seems to be turn on music for a number of women so I keep a Kenny G album around.

I have to agree with the OP on Clapton - I prefer guitarists like Wes Montgomery (who) and frankly - Santana.

I'd like Dylan more if someone else was singing - the man can't sing - and listening to a mumbler buthering some fine lyrics is rough.

Feanor
03-29-2009, 02:26 AM

Because he's classical? Or because he's a composer (which you might or might not consider a "musician")? Or because he's Tchaikovsky?

Speaking of overrated classical composers, my vote goes to Anton Bruckner.

Jack in Wilmington
03-29-2009, 05:09 AM

Totally Agree JM. Tchaikovsky is one of my favorites. His 4th Sym on DVD is something I can watch over and over again.

thekid
03-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Not sure if this counts
Paul Schaefer- Musician or Personality???

I get him as a sidekick though.....

02audionoob
03-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Kanye West has no vocal ability to speak of.

JohnMichael
03-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Because he's classical? Or because he's a composer (which you might or might not consider a "musician")? Or because he's Tchaikovsky?

Speaking of overrated classical composers, my vote goes to Anton Bruckner.

In my humble opinion Tchaikovsky was brilliant. He is one of my favorite composers. Of course I am drawn to tortured souls and the music they create.

TheHills44060
03-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Eric Clapton.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy much of his music, but I just don't understand what all the hype is. One of the greatest guitar players of all time, really?

cheers,
elapsed
Wow I'm so glad you mentioned him. I don't know what it is but his music/playing does absolutely nothing for me. I cringe when I hear guys like EVH say that Clapton got them into playing the guitar cuz i don't get it.

Auricauricle
03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
JM, you poor, hopeless romantic!

I was looking to get a rise outta you guys.....But geeze! This is a reaction that was hardly expected. Still, his Piano Concerto No. 1 is pretty dern unbearable....

Okay, how about....

Feanor
03-29-2009, 11:16 AM

I was looking to get a rise outta you guys.....But geeze! This is a reaction that was hardly expected. Still, his Piano Concerto No. 1 is pretty dern unbearable....

Okay, how about....

Phillip Glass ... :sleep: So-o-o right about him -- the worst.

Auricauricle
03-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Ssssshhhhh!! You'll just encourage 'im!

JohnMichael
03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Dare I mention that I have 6 recordings by Philip Glass. Two on vinyl and four cd's. Philip Glass's "Two Pages, Contrary Motion, Music In Fifths, Music In Similar Motion" is a cd that while still at home I was only allowed to play when alone. I am going to listen to this one after the White Stripes cd is finished.

JohnMichael
03-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Still, his Piano Concerto No. 1 is pretty dern unbearable....

Try The Deutsche Grammophon recording

Tschaikowsky "Klavierkonzert No. 1"

Yevgeney Kissin
Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

Auricauricle
03-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Well, I don't blame you for numbing yourself up with the White Stripes beforehand....Lemme know if you ever need some xylocaine.

;)

RoadRunner6
03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Kenny G plays 5 notes and he plays all five perfectly - his music puts me to sleep - but that ain't so bad if you want to be put to sleep - and strangely it seems to be turn on music for a number of women so I keep a Kenny G album around.

I have to agree with the OP on Clapton - I prefer guitarists like Wes Montgomery (who) and frankly - Santana.

I'd like Dylan more if someone else was singing - the man can't sing - and listening to a mumbler buthering some fine lyrics is rough.

Oh, some guys will prostitute their musical principles for sex! How down right admirable of you RGA!!!!! If I were single again I'd run right out and pick up a Keny G CD.

Wes Montgomery ... now you're talking!

RR6 :D

bobsticks
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh, some guys will prostitue their musical principles for sex! How down right admirable of you RGA!!!!! If I were single again I'd run right out and pick up a Keny G CD.

Amen!! Whatta ya think I was doin' for the couple few days I was gone? :D

On topic, I have little use for U2 and the fact that the Edge has been lauded as a musical genius somewhat eludes me.

JohnMichael
03-29-2009, 02:14 PM

I am also a hapless romantic.

audio amateur
03-29-2009, 02:15 PM
For the classical buffs: Anyone actually enjoy Olivier Messiaen?

JohnMichael
03-29-2009, 02:27 PM

I only have Eclairs Sur L'au-Dela by Messiaen but I enjoy it. Any other Osvaldo Golijov fans?

Auricauricle
03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
RR6: Me... prostitute my Principal* fer music...? ME?!

Oh, okay! If I must!

Um...(ahem!)....Andrea Bocelli, anyone...?

audio amateur
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Aren't you a happily married man?

Auricauricle
03-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh, come on!! He's very, very good...but what about Ramazzotti or Zucherro?

Try these on for size...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmAUlF7Woo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJee0gu7USc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZIoxw0ca9E

Feanor
03-29-2009, 03:31 PM

He's not a favorite by any means and my collection is small. However I very much enjoy his Quatuor pour la fin du temps, ("Quartet for the End of Time", for violin, cello, clarinet & piano), from time to time.

audio amateur
03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Ok, whatever I have of him I really don't like. It's some of the most bizar stuff i've ever heard. More bizar than Pink Floyd, that's how bizar it is :D
It goes all over the place, it's very 'spasmic' at times and there's no melody to speak of.
The works I have are Eclair sur l'au dela (orchestra) and Banquet Celeste (organ).
I just can't listen to either..

JoeE SP9
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM

We might not agree on gear but on musicians we have a winner. I have 2 Kenny G Cd's only because women like him. I don't understand why, but he puts them in the right mood. With Dylan his writing ability is the only thing I have ever liked. Clapton has always sounded to me like a good teacher trying to give a lesson. You know the old saying.
Wes and Carlos, right on!

hermanv
03-29-2009, 11:41 PM
There's a whole collection of Vegas stars, Wayne Newton, Englebert Humperdinck Tom Jones, Not to be outdone, female too, Celene Dion, Dianna Krall and others I can't think of without more effort than they deserve.

Live elevator music.

Let's not forget a whole tribe of Disney pedophile bait. All overdubbed and hidden by instruments or a chorus, sad. Lots of skin and tight jeans, and I'm talking about the boys as much as the girls.

RoadRunner6
03-30-2009, 01:43 AM
I am also a hapless romantic.

I'm a helpless romantic.

Feanor
03-30-2009, 02:51 AM

Okay, how about....

Those girly-men Romantics!!

Speaking of classical music, of course, I nominate the whole Romantic era as overrated.

Tchaikovsky's compositions are typically overblown, but IMHO he isn't the worst culprit. When it comes to wallowing in sentimentality, Robert Schumann takes the cake. For overblown pomposity (not to mention dirge-like repetion) Anton Bruckner is your man.

Then there is Johannes Brahms, poor man, a Classicist trapped in the Romanitic area. Too bad: with his huge technical skill and craftsmanship he'd have a great 20th century composer, or for that matter, 18th century. But in the 19th? So sad, too bad.

Worf101
03-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Clapton doesn't bother me as much as some other's over the years. At least Clapton pays homage to the roots of the music. To me there's a fundamental difference in semantics here. Some folks confuse "overated" or "overhyped" with "lame". Wayne Newton and Paul Anka aren't overated, they're just lame. New Kids on the Block, N'Synch and The Butt Street Boys weren't overated just over hyped and lame.

In my lexicon overated are performers or artists that brew up their own special brand of narcisstic (sp) Kool Aid and then try and sell it to you. I've a little list of my own.

1. Eddie Van Halen - Never since Jimmy Page has there been a more puffed up, self absorbed, self indulgent guitar player. He single handedly ruined an entire generation of guitar players turning them into grandstanding pick weilding noodlers. Then the bastard has the nerve to turn his back on his audience so that other erstwhile hacks can't steal his special noodling technique. I loathe guitar players like him with every fibre of my being.

2. Lynrd Skynrd - I remember when these guys burst on the scene over 30 years ago. The original Poster boys for Southern Pride, predjudice and pomposity. 20 minute double guitar solo's at paint peeling decible levels with all the feel of toaster oven. And a propensity for stating the obvious. For all those who say "they weren't racists" I say bull****. In "Sweet Home Selling Chicken" they made it clear that they loved Governor George Wallace and all he stood for, with a clear concience. Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. Still I do love some of their tunes. "I know a Little", "You Got That Right" and a couple of others are song's I've played with friends and enjoyed.

3. P' Diddy - Take all I've written about Skynrd and subtract the ability to play any instrument at all. This guy's not worthy to carry Chuck D's dirty jock. A complete mimic with questionable poetic ability and no stage presence at all. He single handedly represents all the worst elements Pop/Hip Hop. Final nail? His personal brand of champagne. Are you chittin' me?

4. Madonna - As a musician/artist she's an abomination. The only thing separating her from Tittany Spears is that she has a brain and an uncanny ability to re-invent herself on a regular basis. She is the first woman in my lifetime to so thoroughly manipulate the medium and the media to her own ends. Now if only that end were listenable music we'd have something.

5. The Beatles - I know I'll catch hell for this and would never post this in Rave Recs but I loathe the Liverpool God making machine that is Beatle Worship. Lennon and Sir Paul were two of the finest song writers ever produced., but they are NOT the ONLY ones. The wrote GREAT pop tunes before discovering acid and some interesting songs once they had their minds expanded but I for one don't buy them as the Alpha/Omega of popular music like many do. As I've stated previoulsy I hear more of James Browns influence in popular music than theirs and never found them to be all that relevant once their time was done.

Well that's my list, let the games begin.

Da Worfster

GMichael
03-30-2009, 06:02 AM
Bruce Springsteen. If I never have to listen to him slur another song like a drunken karaoke singer, life will be good.

Auricauricle
03-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Geeze, Herman! You have some issues, dude!

;)

Anybody wanna put Jim Morrison on the list?

JSE
03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Bruce Springsteen. If I never have to listen to him slur another song like a drunken karaoke singer, life will be good.

Yes it will be! I can't stand the guy.

JoeE SP9
03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey Worfster!
I agree with everything you said. It takes courage to tell the truth about the Beatles. I've also thought that Lynrd Skynrd were racists. I've never mentioned it because of the backlash I'm certain you will receive for bringing it up. As for the rest of your nominees; I'm jealous I didn't say it first.

Groundbeef
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
My list, in no particular order.

1. Kenny G. I'll one up you all. I went to see him in concert. With the hopeful wish that what he does for women on CD would be amplified in real life. I can still hear that little flute he plays ringing in my ears, and my date so stupified with boredom that nothing occured that evening. Or several evenings afterward.

2. Yanni. I was dragged to 3 (THREE) concerts as my parents fell for his sclock after every appearance on Ophra. I'm not convinced that my father was a willing participant, as I am married now and realize the sacrifice we have to make to continue the marrige. But I'm not sure I will ever forgive him for forcing me (his son) to also have to go.

3. Stevie Nicks. Can't stand her. Everytime I hear either her, or Fleetwood Mac, I have the urge to shove 20 cigarettes down her throat until she is dead, dead, dead.

4. Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. My first concert. As a wee lad of 12, I had visions of seeing KISS live. Mind you, I was living in Dubuque IA at the time. My parents wouldn't tell me who we were going to see, but it was a HUGE BAND. I was super excited. I should have realized after sitting my butt in one of I would guess 500 folding chairs, that it wasn't going to be KISS. Still holding out hope until some wrinkled old geezer came out blowing his horn. I still hate my parents a bit for that.

If I think of others, I'll let you know.

Hyfi
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM

I did not expect this to be here but it's top on my list. He can't play a lick on the guitar, he just wears it on stage to appear he can play. He can't sing worth a dime yet he has one of the largest followings. I don't get it at all. The rest of his band is great and if they released an album without him, I might just like it.

blackraven
03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
You have to see Springsteen in concert to really appreciate him. He puts on a great show.
I saw him I believe in 1976 New Years eve at the Nassau Colosseum and he player for 4 hours and it was awesome. He is much better live than on his albums. Just good rock n roll.
Nobody has accused him of being a great musician or vocalist. He's a good song writer with a unique sound.

If you trash him, you have to throw Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stephen Stills and many others.
I can think of many more who are a lot worse.

I find ZZ Top top be annoying.

GMichael
03-30-2009, 01:40 PM
You have to see Springsteen in concert to really appreciate him. He puts on a great show.
I saw him I believe in 1976 New Years eve at the Nassau Colosseum and he player for 4 hours and it was awesome. He is much better live than on his albums. Just good rock n roll.
Nobody has accused him of being a great musician or vocalist. He's a good song writer with a unique sound.

If you trash him, you have to throw Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stephen Stills and many others.
I can think of many more who are a lot worse.

I find ZZ Top top be annoying.

I don't mind throwing them in there, along with Southside Johnny, while you're at it.

RoadRunner6
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Geeze, Herman! You have some issues, dude!

;)

Anybody wanna put Jim Morrison on the list?

What, are you anti-pedophilephobic, or do you just really like Dianna Krall? (:D )

blackraven
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Interesting that you mentioned South Side Johnny GM, because they were the opening act for that Springsteen concert that night.

bobsticks
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
You have to see Springsteen...

Ok, I will...

...though I must admit that I have found one or two Dylan discs that are worth a listen or two.

Worfster, I agree with your post a hundred percent and would add another reason to dislike Diddy: his predatory production and promotional practices. Ol' boy is gonna generate, literally, hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue and most of his staff will end up selling shoes or working in malls within five years.

atomicAdam
03-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Dylan is definitely over rated/hyped/whatever in my book. Gonna have to add Nora Jones to that list as well.

02audionoob
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
It's interesting how far this topic is reaching. It started with the most overrated musician of all time, but now it's a slamfest that even reaches such small potatoes as Norah Jones and Southside Johnny?

pixelthis
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
BOB DYLAN is difinitely one of the worst, if not THE worst so called "musican"
of all time, only thing that saves him is that chinese guy that was on American Idol a few back.
As for CLAPTON, if you havent seen him in action you are missing out.
What he does with a guitar is beyond amazing, there is a clip of him playing "cocaine"
on palladia, its truly amazing.
As for the beetles, it was paul and john, the other two were in the right place at the right time.
Listen to Band on the Run if you have any doubt about Pauls musical talents.:1:

atomicAdam
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
It's interesting how far this topic is reaching. It started with the most overrated musician of all time, but now it's a slamfest that even reaches such small potatoes as Norah Jones and Southside Johnny?

You've got a point. But I keep reading about reviewers saying 'on my Nora Jones cd these speakers' bla bla bla barf. So granted, you are right, but I've seen the name too much in text lately for my taste.

GMichael
03-31-2009, 06:58 AM

My bad. It's just that back in the day, it seemed like everyone loved "The Boss" and SSJ so much that I could never get the DJ at our local bar to play anything else (except maybe the B52's). Whenever I would request the likes of Rush, Yes, or Pink Floyd, he would roll his eyes in disgust.

Groundbeef
03-31-2009, 07:08 AM
My bad. It's just that back in the day, it seemed like everyone loved "The Boss" and SSJ so much that I could never get the DJ at our local bar to play anything else (except maybe the B52's). Whenever I would request the likes of Rush, Yes, or Pink Floyd, he would roll his eyes in disgust.

I knew I liked something about you GM. Ever see Floyd in concert? I saw them in '94 in Chicago. I wasn't into them around the Waters/Gilmour debacle, but I really enjoyed the show.

Pretty sure my then Fiancee and I were the only sober people in the audience for the show. We were way up in Soldier field, and with the wind blowing a bit you could actually see the smoke cloud rolling out of the stadium!

We left before the second encore started, just to be safe. What a great show!

Auricauricle
03-31-2009, 08:00 AM
You and my wife would have much to talk about, Beefy! She was fortunate to catch them at Woodstock, Europe, when they performed in Germany. About 3 AM, PF comes in with DSOM....I'm getting green even as I write....Excuse me for a moment....

RoadRunner6
03-31-2009, 11:20 AM
It was late night and I was on the computer. A few feet away, my wife had the TV on to I believe it was the David Letterman show. Suddenly I heard a voice that grabbed my attention. I walk over and sat down to investigate. Here was a young woman (maybe 21 yrs old) that I had never seen before or even heard of. I was absolutely mesmerized by not only the beauty of this woman but also by a maturity in singing and piano playing that was many years beyond her age.

I wrote her name down and Googled her. I purchased her first album. I was pleased but felt the album, in many of the song selections, missed the true talent of this fine young musician.

Her cover of Hoagy Carmichael's The Nearness Of You is one of the finest jazz performances I have ever heard. She nailed it 100% perfectly, a maturity I have never heard in a female jazz vocalist anywhere near her age. I wish I could compile a list of songs for her to perform on a nostalgic album of jazz classics. It would become a timeless masterpiece. (woops, there I go again using the M word).

Norah Jones has a very unique gift.

RR6 :prrr:

Auricauricle
03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Haven't hear NJ enough to agree or disagree. Have you heard her sister, Anoushka Shankar?

RoadRunner6
03-31-2009, 04:06 PM
No I'll have to check that out. Of course, I know of her father but didn't know of any siblings. Thanks

Simply listen to cut #14 on Norah's first album, The Nearness of You (perfection in my opinion). She has several other impressive cuts on this album. Most vocalists would at that age be trying to impress all with their range, dynamics, etc. like an early Daine Schuur or Eva Cassidy.

I just Googled her (she giggled). I certainly see the family resemblance. It's too bad for such a beautiflul woman that she has to play such an awful sounding instrument. I am a huge Beatles fan but still shudder everytime I hear Harrison play that sitar or Ravi Chancre for that matter. (:idea: )

RR6 :4:

RoadRunner6
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
4. Madonna - As a musician/artist she's an abomination..........5. The Beatles - James Browns - influence in popular music Da Worfster

...............I used to (when I was much younger) hit the disco lounges. I must say I enjoyed dance songs like Holiday. However, I never payed much attention otherwise to Madonna or listened to any of her albums. Her private and public antics were the stuff of The National Enquirer.

Then one day I was at the public library. I picked up a few CD's to listen to at my leisure. One of them was the soundtrack to the movie Dick Tracy although I had never seen it.

Wow, I was very impressed! I think Maddona missed her calling. What a perfect performance for a club jazz vocalist. I listened to that CD many times and now feel she has lots of missed talent as a jazz vocalist.

...............Mentioning the influence on popular music of James Brown and the Beatles in the same paragraph? I think their influences were very different. I'm not knocking James Brown at all, he was a legend and a dynamic performer.

I can understand people not liking the Beatles (some people don't like pumkin pie with whipped cream). However, as you mentioned they were great songwriters. In my opinion it is all about the melodies. Lennon and McCartney are two of the most gifted and prolific writers of memorable melodies in music history. Out of those two brains in a mere 7 years (L&M songs performed by the Beatles ... not counting the songs they wrote while on their own or several fine Beatles songs writtien by George Harrison) came more great melodies than almost any other composers of the last several centuries. Think it's easy. Sit down at the piano sometime and whip out some cute or beautiful long lasting melodies. List any other pop performers or groups who had more than a handful of memorable melodies. It is hard to do. That is the real genius of the Beatles.

I don't have the exact number of how many cover versions of their songs have been performed by pop singers/groups, classical orchestras, jazz soloists/groups, rock bands, etc., but it's extensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_the_Beatles

Along with their songwriting skills were four quite talented and creative musicians. IMO, the greatest pop group ever. In the year 2109, which song do you think the Seattle Symphany Orchestra will perform at their evening of great popular songs of the last two centuries at the Jimi Hendrix Memorial Concert Hall?, Papa's Got A Brand New Bag or The Long and Winding Road (the Beatles' Why Don't We Do It In The Road was withdrawn at the last moment). :D

Just a second opinion.

RR6 :8:

Auricauricle
03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Anybody wanna put Roger Waters up?

hermanv
03-31-2009, 07:28 PM
I wrote her name down and Googled her. I purchased her first album. I was pleased but felt the album, in many of the song selections, missed the true talent of this fine young musician.

Her cover of Hoagy Carmichael's The Nearness Of You is one of the finest jazz performances I have ever heard. She nailed it 100% perfectly, a maturity I have never heard in a female jazz vocalist anywhere near her age. I wish I could compile a list of songs for her to perform on a nostalgic album of jazz classics. It would become a timeless masterpiece. (woops, there I go again using the M word).

Norah Jones has a very unique gift.

RR6 :prrr:Agreed, a beautiful voice. One negative review of her 5th album was "Norah Jones releases her 5th version of a debut album."

I am afraid I agree, nice voice, but her music is very repetitious.

Jimmy B
03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
I will bring up some one that Roger Waters would put on this list:wink5:
Lloyd-Webber

Jimmy B

RoadRunner6
04-01-2009, 01:58 AM
her music is very repetitious.

Yes, I agree completely. That's why I said: " I was pleased but felt the album, in many of the song selections, missed the true talent of this fine young musician." Read generally poor song selection, pity.

GMichael
04-01-2009, 04:29 AM
My comment seemed aimed at criticizing but in reality I meant only to make an observation. The digressions are often what give these threads life.

On the topic of Ms. Jones...I remember when Norah's first release wasn't famous, yet, (I think it took several months for Come Away With Me to get some notice) it was sitting on a New Releases table at my local BestBuy. I bought it on looks alone...something I will occasionally do if it's cheap enough and it has a convincing look about it. I enjoyed that CD from day one but haven't seen a need to buy another of her offerings.
It's all good.

I first noticed Norah the night she won like 7 awards. (The same night Avril Lavine stunk up the stage) Norah blew me away with her beauty, grace and talent. After buying her CD, I could see why others might not like her. It seems like all of her songs have the same sound to them.
Song 1, "Wow, how smooth, what grace, I love it!"
Song 2, "This is nice too."
Song 3, "Hmmm... Seems much like the first two."
Song 4, "Again?"
Song 5, "ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.............."

Works great if I've had a stressful day. Pop it into the player for the drive home. By song 3 I'm relaxed. Just make sure to turn it off before the end of song 4.

GMichael
04-01-2009, 04:29 AM
Uhm.. Is this site going to start THAT again?

GMichael
04-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Hey....!

02audionoob
04-01-2009, 04:43 AM
My comment seemed aimed at criticizing but in reality I meant only to make an observation. The digressions are often what give these threads life.

On the topic of Ms. Jones...I remember when Norah's first release wasn't famous, yet, (I think it took several months for Come Away With Me to get some notice) it was sitting on a New Releases table at my local BestBuy. I bought it on looks alone...something I will occasionally do if it's cheap enough and it has a convincing look about it. I enjoyed that CD from day one but haven't seen a need to buy another of her offerings.

audio amateur
04-01-2009, 05:02 AM
yeah, i've been having that in your car thread Rich

Rich-n-Texas
04-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Uh oh... Time Warp again. :yikes:

Auricauricle
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
I will bring up some one that Roger Waters would put on this list:wink5: Lloyd-Webber

Please, I'm trying to drink a cup of coffee, here! (Agreed, most certainly agreed!)

Worf101
04-01-2009, 06:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_the_Beatles[/url]

Along with their songwriting skills were four quite talented and creative musicians. IMO, the greatest pop group ever. In the year 2109, which song do you think the Seattle Symphany Orchestra will perform at their evening of great popular songs of the last two centuries at the Jimi Hendrix Memorial Concert Hall?, Papa's Got A Brand New Bag or The Long and Winding Road (the Beatles' Why Don't We Do It In The Road was withdrawn at the last moment). :D

Just a second opinion.

RR6 :8:
Never said I didn't "like" the Beatles, I just don't worship them. As for influence on music I think even Miles Davis has had as much if not more due to his seminal influence on Jazz from Bop to Cool to Fusion. Interesting you mention Long and Winding Road, a song finished not by Martin or the Beatles but by some studio hack that added a chior and strings without their permission. Interesting.

As for writing music, I'm finishing up my second album with my latest band. I know exactly how hard it is to write a good if not great pop song and I've no delusions that I've ever been or ever will be as good a song writers as L&M. But I also know that, as great as they were, others Carol King, Holland Dozier and Holland, Jim Webb etc... have to be given their due and their own place in the pantheon.

D. Macks

GMichael
04-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey RL,

Good to see you. Is this going to be a yearly thing?

GMichael
04-01-2009, 06:37 AM
WTF is going on with my posts today?

Resident Loser
04-01-2009, 06:44 AM
...purty much anyone who isn't already dead...IMNSHO of course...

jimHJJ(...sorry, couldn't resist...at the PL for tax forms again...thought I'd give a visit...)

Rich-n-Texas
04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah? Well, why don't you stick around this time RL? :incazzato:

luvtolisten
04-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Nominating Kenny Rogers for the most overplayed, although over 20 years ago, still not long enough for me. I never got Pink Floyd, Rush, or Jethro Tull. Or Norah Jones today.
Micheal Bolton was always depressed. Jackson Browne too, although I did like his earlier stuff. As for Springsteen , seems like every time I write him off and he's done, he seems to some how resurrects himself again. Springsteen's "Magic" CD I thought was one of his best works in a long time.

Groundbeef
04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Nominating Kenny Rogers for the most overplayed, although over 20 years ago, still not long enough for me. I never got Pink Floyd, Rush, or Jethro Tull. Or Norah Jones today.
Micheal Bolton was always depressed.

1. Kenny Rogers- who doesn't like "The Gambler", other than that, I am not a fan.

2. Pink Floyd. Do you not enjoy them, or understand their popularity? They sort of grew on me. I heard the Wall, and listened to it over an over. The strangeness of it all. Lots of interesting backstory on that album. Unlike some of the Floyd purists, I didn't (and still don't) really enjoy much of their earlier albums. Dark Side is wonderful.

I would have to also add that although I don't enjoy most of their early works their song
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" is a personal favorite. Both in the name and the weirdness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siEWeBD3GU0

3. Jethro Tull. If I EVER hear "Thick as a Brick" again, I'll break whatever speaker it's coming out of. My neighbor in college used to play that full blast at least once a day.

4. Norah Jones. Have a couple of her CD's. As others have said, her songs tend to sound very similar.

luvtolisten
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey GroundBeef,

1) I agree "Gambler" was a great song. But they beat it to death.( Remember all those made TV movies? ("The Gambler ", "The Return of","3", "Does Dallas", "5","6")

2) The Dark Side I never got either, although I did like the song "Money". "The Wall" always reminded me of a devil worshippers chat. I played that link in your note, I think I understand now why you like "The Dark Side" and I don't. (ha ha). Hey, we can't all be the same, to each his own.

3) I chuckled on your comment on Tull. I had a friend that actually liked Styx. I still ask him why man why? Why!? Why!?

4) I bought a Norah Jones CD as well. She's not bad, not great, kind of like a female version of Harry Connick Jr. to me. But it's good to know their still is a market for some of those great old songs.

Jack in Wilmington
04-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Micheal Bolton was always depressed. Jackson Browne too, although I did like his earlier stuff. As for Springsteen , seems like every time I write him off and he's done, he seems to some how resurrects himself again. Springsteen's "Magic" CD I thought was one of his best works in a long time.

They wouldn't even let Springsteen sweep the floor after Jethro Tull was finished playing. Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.

Groundbeef
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.

No, trust ME, after hearing "Skating Away" on 11 every freakin day for 2 years, you get real tired of Tull.

JohnMichael
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
When I sold audio everyone wanted to listen to Ponk Floyd's "Dark Side of the Mooon", Supertramps "Breakfast in America" or Pat Benetar "Hell is for Children". When in fact hell was for audio salesmen over Bose 901's that the customer insisted on turning up the high frequency control until you could hear the tape hiss as loud as the music. I wonder how many people ever took the time to hear a properly eq'd set of 901's.

luvtolisten
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
They wouldn't even let Springsteen sweep the floor after Jethro Tull was finished playing. Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.

So who is "They?" who wouldn't let Springsteen sweep the full when Tull was finished playing? And finished they are.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to admit, Springsteen came out with "Born To Run" in 1975, his 3rd album. He's been around now for 45 years. He's stood the test of time, The great ones do.

luvtolisten
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
No, trust ME, after hearing "Skating Away" on 11 every freakin day for 2 years, you get real tired of Tull.

And let's not forgot "Bungle in the Jungle". Was that catch phrase taken from Mohammad Ali or vice versa?

hermanv
04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
. I wonder how many people ever took the time to hear a properly eq'd set of 901's.Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed.

Groundbeef
04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
And let's not forgot "Bungle in the Jungle". Was that catch phrase taken from Mohammad Ali or vice versa?

Oh man. I should give you a reddie for that one. But I'm too nice so I gave you a greenie for making me remember why I really REALLY hate Tull.

luvtolisten
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh man. I should give you a reddie for that one. But I'm too nice so I gave you a greenie for making me remember why I really REALLY hate Tull.

Sorry for bringing up those bad memories:22: But I couldn't resist. That song had a lot of airplay (or it seemed that way to me) and it was around the same time as "The Rumble in the Jungle" (Ali/Foreman)
The fight was good, a classic, the song.............well I think you know where I'm going with this.....

JoeE SP9
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
John Michael:
I've heard Bose 901's positioned and properly equalized . Although they still sucked it was a little less than usual! The guy that owned them was visiting one day. 2 Chimay's a generous helping of some imported plant material and an hour in the sweet spot in front of my ESL's was an ear opener for him. He now has Maggie MG-3's and is looking to upgrade to 3.6R's.

Jack in Wilmington
04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
So who is "They?" who wouldn't let Springsteen sweep the full when Tull was finished playing? And finished they are.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to admit, Springsteen came out with "Born To Run" in 1975, his 3rd album. He's been around now for 45 years. He's stood the test of time, The great ones do.

Check your math son that's 35 years. That's funny the test of time. Most of the people I work with can't stand Springsteen. When they heard he was playing the Super Bowl they said when are they going to get some good half time entertainment. I realize there are people who are into him. There are also people who like Bose speakers. Look American Idol is the most popular show on TV and that is amateur talent.

Auricauricle
04-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Jack, I would like to eat sometime today....

Jack in Wilmington
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Jack, I would like to eat sometime today....

My treat, my good man.

Auricauricle
04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Your generosity knows no bounds...!

JohnMichael
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
John Michael:
I've heard Bose 901's positioned and properly equalized . Although they still sucked it was a little less than usual!

You did a good thing turning him on to better audio. Just imagine eight hours of the 901's with the treble fully boosted listening to music you do not like. I am surprised my ears are still not ringing.

givendale
04-03-2009, 01:45 AM
The Doors - Riders of the Storm - aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!

Nick Cave - Pretentious drivel

Tom Waits - My cat wailing at 4am sound better.

Givendale

Resident Loser
04-03-2009, 07:00 AM
...nope, not biting...'splained all that ad nauseum, ad infinitum...eons ago...even posted charts and graphs...they simply do what they need to do...for me...

AUDIO UPDATE: Replaced my modded Sony 'phones($6@ el waldo-marto) with some Senns...PX-1s, I think...bought 'em at Sears...Ab-fab w/my GPX port CDP($7 after rebate)...of course they were around $50-something...10X better? Probably, but...who knows...nice bottom end...over all, equal to or better than Koss Porta-pros...

jimHJJ(...NYS forms and pubs drove me here...pax vobiscum all...)

Rich-n-Texas
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
jimHJJ(...NYS forms and pubs drove me here...pax vobiscum all...)
And to you as well RL.

JoeE SP9
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
You did a good thing turning him on to better audio. Just imagine eight hours of the 901's with the treble fully boosted listening to music you do not like. I am surprised my ears are still not ringing.

My buddy the ex 901 owner called me today. He found a pair of Apogee Duetta's. He's going to check them out tonight. He's come a long way.